GA-X38-DQ6 4GB Corsair Memory & BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X38-DQ6 4GB Corsair Memory & BSOD

After viewing the other threads, I have a few options I'm going to try, but I'll run my problem by y'all to see what you think.

I had to replace my ASUS Striker Extreme after the ethernet ports went out. I'd been running the same 4 sticks of Corsair Dominator 1024 8500C5D 1067MHz memory for about 6 months in the old motherboard with no problems, the sytem OC'd from 2.66 to about 3.16. With this new GA-X39-DQ6 MB, the reinstall of the OS (Vista Ultimate 32bit) went OK, but then started having BSOD's. I removed 2 sticks of mem, and everything runs smooth with stock settings. I've run the Microsoft mem test on each pair alone in both channels and they all check out. But put all 4 in together and more BSOD, it won't even load the OS anymore. My first chore will be to load the latest F8 BIOS and see if that helps. I guess I'll need to play with memory timings and voltages to see if I can get them all running together. Any tips for my specific system would be greatly appreciated.

Re: GA-X38-DQ6 4GB Corsair Memory & BSOD

U suggest you use memset86+ 2.01 for memory testing it is much better then MS one.

Aside from that you should go to the Corsair site and get specific settings/subtimings for your sticks>>>>

I would assume you need at least a settings of 52-62 MANUALLY set for "refresh to act" setting. And at least +.1-1.5 on MCH

Also I would try just above or below 1066 like you have 1067, I would try 1068-1070 or 1060-1065 because sometimes it is just a 1066 setting or right around it that wont work.

And you could try the newest bios, or maybe just one newer then you have now

Have a look thru the pinned thread I posted about overclocking and the BIOS as well, it will help you with some voltages and other things if you are unsure about some things.

Also if you want me to send you a link to a specific blog about your exact board PM me and I will send you the link

Comment

A slight error in my Topic line. I have a GA-EX38-DQ6, not a GA-X38-DQ6.

I'm not sure how much of a difference that "E" makes.

I printed out your overclocking guide and have been reading and re-reading it. Very helpful.

I will try to get you my BIOS settings by PM.

Thanks

Comment

The confounded 4 module crash phenomenon coupled with the DDR2 1066 instability ghost. People should avoid 1066 RAM like bad cheese. Most of the RAM issues I see come from 1066 modules. Why is this LSD?

Comment

Well because all 1066 modules are really 800Mhz modules just binned better. That is why you have to manually change them to 1066 to begin with. That and a fsb strap issue, Always do more or less then 1066 for your ram, and always do more or less then 400 FSB

Comment

I appreciate your assistance. Below is the readings from my BIOS, as stated earlier, I have:
            GA-EX38-DQ6
            Intel QX6700
            Zalman CNPS9700 NT HS & fan
            Corsair 4x1024 8500C5D 5-5-5-15
            2 Seagate Barracuda 500GB in Raid 0 (using ICH9R controller) NVidia 8800GTS 640MB
            <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
            Per your advice, I installed another fan blowing directly on the MCH.
            I was able to install all 4 mem chips and get things running with the following setting in my BIOS (F2)
            <o:p></o:p>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
            CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
            CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [AUTO]
            C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
            System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40B]
            DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ 5
            Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ 5
            Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____5
            Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____ 15
            ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____ 3
            Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____ 3
            Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____ 6
            Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______ 42
            Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____ 3
            Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31 (?)
            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 (?)

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
            DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.250V]
            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
            CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.275]

Also, if you know a blog for this board, not the GA-X38-DQ6, I would love to see that.
            And one other question: I downloaded the ISO files for MemTest86+ and for Xpress Recovery and burned both to a CD. However, when the system boots to CD Drive, it reads the drive but skips over it and goes into the OS. Is there more to it that just burning the ISO image to the CD? Neither one of the CD's seem to work.
            I'm a newbie at OC'ing. For my last ASUS Striker Extreme board, I just used the built-in OC profiles, like 10% or 15% and that was as high as I could go, running my stock proc from 2.66 to 3.06. I was happy with that. I'm not a gamer, this rig in my office computer that I run AutoCAD on. So I'd be happy to get this new MB up to around 3GHz as well.
            Thanks again.
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Re: GA-X38-DQ6 4GB Corsair Memory &amp; BSOD

I edited your post so it was readable, So.....Please dont use that format when trying to post tables it just doesnt work on the "Sized" board here

The blog I sent you is for your board, EX38 and X38 are the same. And actually the Pinned topic I posted in this forum section also applies to you board as well. Almost all of them are the same except for a BIOS setting here or there missing or added to certain models.

ISO Bootable Cd must be burnt differently then other data (As A IMAGE file), with a special App. I use UltraISO. Do you have a floppy? If not I can find you a freeware app that can get the ISO burnt properly for you.

Actually here is a free way to burn a ISO Using Nero>>>
              Code:
              http://wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html
              Or here is Magic ISO I think it may be a trial but it will be fine>>>
              Code:
              http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm
              As for>>>>
              Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

I suggest you try>>>
              Static tRead Value_______________ 8 (If it works fine try 7)
              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31<<<<leave this on auto or 1-31.

If you want to try it later it is kinda a way to cheat and get 6 to load above >>>>
              tRead -tRead Phase Adjust So say you use 7 and 1, then it would be like using 6 on Tread Value. Not really something you would get any benefit from at your high speeds anyway

As for specific subtimings for your sticks you will need to ask the ram guy at the above link. but what you have looks good, if something errors just start Adding 1 to each of the settings one at a time until you find which causes error, then you can try and lower the rest again

And just so you know if you didnt, that is running that ram at 800Mhz not 1066 so you could likely use 444 timings, unless you want to overclock or use a higher multi for your memory

Comment

Working...
              X