GA-x38-DQ6 Memory Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-x38-DQ6 Memory Issues

I am considering buying a GA-X38-DQ6 but I hear they have problems running 4 Dimms at 1066. Has anyone found a fix for this? I don't want to buy a board that I can't run to spec. I've looked all over the internet but I can't tell if it's a board by board issue or a design flaw that will show up in every board.

Thanks for any feedback.

Re: GA-x38-DQ6 Memory Issues

I've followed the grow of the X38 very well here in Italy on our forum.... I can tell you that the lastest bios have resolved these problems about populating four slot of dimm....

But remain in many many users here the ugly problem of inexplicable reset without any why, also with drastic consequences

Comment

Can you describe the reset problem you're talking about? I haven't heard about it.

Comment

You can read also in the topics here in these pages, all about cycle reboot and mine X38 RMA refused...... the problems are those ;)

Comment

Originally posted by logicfails View Post
          Can you describe the reset problem you're talking about? I haven't heard about it.

If the motherboard doesn't like the settings you set regarding memory frequency voltage OC etc, It fails the POST. all is normal until now.

Except this mobo is unable to load default/last values, or considers this a BIOS failure due to logic error and starts looking for a BIOS image on your HDD and fails to find it. (What the hell the so called backup bios doing at that moment is beyond my comprehension)

You end up with a dead motherboard. Bios and backup BIOS has to be removed and reflashed (no you can't do it yourself, you have to take it back to distributor)

Apart from that "slight" problem as Gigabyte in Turkey describes as non-critical It works great! I gave up a month ago and running the memory @ 800MHZ.

Comment

it more and more looks like the automatic dual-bios is the murderer, not the saviour
            GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
            i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
            32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
            Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
            Seasonic G-550

Comment

Other boards have dual bios as well, this one has a logic error i think.

Which will explain GA's unwilling to admit to issues since than they have to replace all of them!

I thought about sueing them but, by the time case is through, we will all be using terraflop cpu's in our toilet paper and milk carton probably

Comment

I would assume it could be fixed with a well-made bios-update..
                did you notice the paradox? ;)
                GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
                i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
                32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
                Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
                Seasonic G-550

Comment

I dont know if this will help you all but I got my board back RMA and it still have the same issue with all 4 dimms full. Will not work. I own a intel 2160 and overclocked it to FSB 333 X 9 = 3.0 for my cpu. Tried to use 1066 and totally unstable no matter the voltage setting but when i used a different ratio overclocking my memory to 1111, its now stable with only 2.05 voltage. (1.8 +0.25) totally stable. Not the usual way to stablize the system but my tracers can handle 1066 to 1111 easy. It seem to work better when not using 1066 and any other memory speed is stable. Will try different configs and try to post them

Comment

ALL boards have issues running 4 dimms at 1066

So try above as suggested or below. This is a widely known issue, best thing to do is get 2x2GB and sell your 4x1GB sticks

Comment

Was thinking that too but now its stable 100% at 1111, its all good. I used a cpu fsb of 333 and memory ratio of 3.33 and totally stable. Really fast too. I have pictures of my bios settings if anyone wants it.

Thanks

Comment

Yeah that is more like it anyway. Ya I hear alot better to try to run above or below 1066 but not right at 1066.

Might as well post them now before you forget them and someone asks and you are not around that day. Might just saves someone night, as you know finding the right settings/timings can be very painful sometimes!

Comment

Robust Graphic Booster = Auto
                          CPU Host Frequency = 333
                          PCI Express Frequency = 100
                          C.I.A.2 = Disabled
                          Performance Enhance = Standard
                          System Memory Multiplier (SPD) = 3.33C
                          Dram Timing Selectable = Manual
                          Cas Latency Time = 5
                          Dram Ras# to Cas# Delay = 5
                          Dram Ras # Precharge = 5
                          Precharge Delay = 15
                          Act to Act Delay (trrd) = 3
                          Rank Write to read Delay = 3
                          Write to precharge delay = 6 (I use 3 and its stable)
                          Refresh to act delay = 42
                          Read to Precharge Delay = 3
                          Static tRead Value = 6 (i use 5 and its stable but 4 is not)
                          Static tRead Phase Adjust = 1
                          Command Rate = 2T

All the setting for voltage is normal but

DDR2 OverVoltage Control = +0.25
                          CPU Voltage Control = 1.325 (I use 1.3125 and is table)

These are the base settings I use to get it 100% stable and start to play around with some of the setting to see if I can get it faster.

Your right about most board do no like 1066 but if you over clock above by abit, its stable. I guess its the cold problem with cpu's did not like 350 but 349 and 351 stable. That where I got the idea to overclock it abit and see if it will be stable and it is plus bonus extra memory speed too.

Going to try over the weekend to lower the memory setting until I can get the fastest settings.

Hope this helps you all. If you have other setting you find that works and is faster than what I have. Please post :)

Thanks all

Comment

Oh forgot to add, for memory settings do not use Auto. It not stable using it. Hard set the memory timings and all other memory settings.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              ALL boards have issues running 4 dimms at 1066

So try above as suggested or below. This is a widely known issue, best thing to do is get 2x2GB and sell your 4x1GB sticks
                              What mean ALL boards? For example, P35-DS4 at 800 MHz? I have a lot BSOD since I've put 4x1GB sticks. Should I
                              really sold them and buy 2x2GB? What if I need 8GB?
                              P67A-UD4-B3 F2
                              i5-2500K
                              4x2GB Kingston HyperX XMP-1600 CL9
                              8800 GTX
                              Intel SSD 40GB, WD Green 1TB, 2xSamsung 400GB SATA RAID1
                              Antec P182 + CP850 CXP

Comment

Working...
                              X