P35C-DS3R Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P35C-DS3R Memory

DDR3 makes no sense with Core 2 platforms, as it doesn't improve performance. Here's why: Memory is linked to the northbridge and the northbridge forewards data to the CPU. Now the bandwith of the RAM to NB is the same if the 2.0 system memory multiplier is used, i.e. DDR2 667 for a 333 (1333 quad-pumped) FSB CPU, DDR2 800 for a 400 FSB CPU. If you increase the RAM speed without increasing the FSB, data is transferred faster to the NB from RAM, but the NB can't pass it on any faster to the CPU than before though resulting in no performance benefit (there's a litte benefit actually, as latency is improved if RAM speed goes up, but it's small ~5% or so).
    If you're not overclocking get DDR2 800 RAM, if you plan on overclocking in the future get 1066 DDR2 (runs at 533 MHz so you can increase your FSB to 533 (2133 quad pumped) without having to overrclock the RAM). The reason why faster DDR2 RAM exists is solely for overclocking purposes, as slower will limit the maximum overclock of your CPU.

Again, DDR3 brings no benefit, for some reason there are almost no reviews proving this, maybe because memory manufaturers are big advertisers on PC websites and they wouldn't like it if the website showed that their expensive products are useless.

Comment

Originally posted by ironleg View Post
      yeah, I have ben having problems with the 1 gig sticks and wasnt sure if I should get 8 gigs of ddr2 1066 or 4 gigs of ddr3 1333. any ideas?
      I have been looking and I am leaning towards ddr3 1333. I only need 2 x 2 gig sticks to top out my ram. my FSB is 1333 and I would like to find the very lowest latency ddr3 ram I can. Any suggestions are greatly appriciated.
      Although I use DDR3 on this board it wasn't completely through choice. Because in memory terms it is a hybrid board, I personally think as it supports both DDR2 & 3, it does so reasonably well, yet isn't outstanding on either front.
      I also think that spending more on DDR3 (as opposed to DDR2) particularly on this board is a waste of money.

Ideally some good DDR2 will perform well and if you can reduce the tRD value to such an aggressive level but still attain stability, you'll better higher operating frequency DDR3 at stock to modest overclock levels.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Can you reccommend a good brand of DDR2 of 1066 that will work (I figure I will populate all 4 slots to 8 gigs of DDR 2 1066 ram. I have tried to find the best brand of ram that will work with my board and have the lowest latency I can get. I like the Idea of the automatic adjustmwents that coursair doues on its dominator series ram and the xmxs3 ram. I know there is a few other ram makers that have something similar, but I havent found a 8 gig kit for my 4 slots to have the 2 gighs. I can find 4 gig kits but I would like to find a 8 gig kit so the ram is optimised for that kit instead off using 2 4 gig kits.

Any advice on what brand and model to buy is greatly appriciated. I need to make a purchase in a couple of days. I have a 4870 x2 video card, q6600, killer nic, and an ageia physic card in an antec case, with a psu 1000 wat 80 plus certified with two 8 pin and 2 6 pin connectors for video cards. I am upgrading my fans, ram, router, hdd`s, and putting my old parts in my sons computerr.

looking forward to your advice!

ironleg

Comment

Try these:
          OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum 2GB Edition
          They worked perfectly for me on my P35 DQ6 which is similar to your board and also feature automatic adjustment with the newest BIOS ony my P45 DS3L (don't know if that also works with your board, it used to always only work with DDR3 on Intel boards, I was quite pleasantly suprised when I updated my BIOS)

Corsair tends to be a little overpriced and does not really have an advantage over OCZ or GSkill for example.
          If it's a gaming PC then the only game that really used more than 4GB will be GTA4, if you don't play that i would just stay with 4GB.

Also you may need to increase (G)MCH by up to +0.2V in order for 8GB to be stable, so try that if you have problems.

Comment

Working...
          X