Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 System Temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 System Temps?

Temp system one is your NB as stated above, and I find the easytune is pretty accurate

CPU is not the core temps, just incase you didnt know. Yeah that may or may not need to be your worry, but you do need to keep a eye on your CORE temps not your cpu temp(Download coretemp to watch those or everest) Here so you can see why I think easytune is pretty accurate>>>>

Yeah, I would redo the thermal pads/paste. I found under my DS4 pipes that only half my NB was even covered. I redo them all always anyway when I first get them and install my CPU.

I do suggest you be very carefull with the arctic under there, or use some non conductive paste, I use TX-2

Comment

Originally posted by a573573 View Post
      Yeah, I would redo the thermal pads/paste. I found under my DS4 pipes that only half my NB was even covered. I redo them all always anyway when I first get them and install my CPU.

I do suggest you be very carefull with the arctic under there, or use some non conductive paste, I use TX-2
      I had checked my temps using speed fan, easy tune and BIOS. all report same. The bios was a degree cooler, but I guess that's probably because it cooled down by the time i shutdown and restarted for going into the BIOS.

I have some Arctic Alumina Ceramic (normal, the non epoxy one).
      the description of the product reads...
      "Arctic Alumina Compound is a pure electrical insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive."

I'm assuming this should be ok to use ?
      Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
      Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
      16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
      Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
      I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Comment

Yep, ceramic is good to use. Just no Arctic Silver or anything with silver in it

Comment

Ok Lads,
          After recovering my system ICH9R RAID failure (now on GB RAID). Rebuilt again and did some tinkering around. My system temps were too high, but I've managed to get it down (still not happy) by doing a few simple fixes.
          Changes I made -
          1. The tower was under the desk and the back of my table was probably redirecting hot air locallly, moved it to side of my desk, about 30-40cm away from wall.
          2. Moved the disks from the lower tray to the tray next to the PSU, allowing the lower tray with the 120mm fan to directly provide air to the MB area.

Following are some screenies of my temps...

Idle temps
          http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2...sidefanyo6.jpg

Load temps with Side panel fan - OFF
          http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6...ophddsigl7.jpg

Load temps with side panel fan - ON
          http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7...ophddsimq5.jpg

Are these temps too high ?
          Temp1 relates to System temp as displayed by easytune5(not show in picture).
          Temp2 is CPU temp as shown in easytune5I have a few questions on these temps, if someone knows...
          - The temp of eah core is less than temp2(CPU temp), why ? Shouldn't it be the other way round ?
          - The -12v and -5v voltages seem way off !
          Last edited by spec; 03-08-2008, 07:19 PM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Comment

Looks like a good improvement!

I always am thinking of my front intake fan blowing right over my hard drives into the case, seems like it is actually a Heater more than anything, but I guess I have to sacrifice so my drives stay cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Looks like a good improvement!

I always am thinking of my front intake fan blowing right over my hard drives into the case, seems like it is actually a Heater more than anything, but I guess I have to sacrifice so my drives stay cool.
              Front intake was blowing onto HDD first.. Then I saw Thermaltake have taken quite somepain in designing a top mount HDD rack, why not try it !
              It does make a difference...
              But that brings me to my next question... where are the HDD temps with speedfan... they seem to have disappeared !
              SMART is enabled in the BIOS, still can't see temps.

Comment

Do your hard drives support smart? If so I dunno. I have smart disabled in my bios and I see my hard drive temps, but only the ones not in a raid array so maybe that is why you do not see them

Yeah I have thought about mounting them in my 5 1/2 bays with adapters but then I would still want a fan on them so either way the warm air would still be tossed into the system air mixture and wouldnt matter I suppose.

I dunno though, They may be alright without a fan on them anyway, I mean they arent raptors or anything. I guess I could set them outside my case and see how much of a difference it makes with the cool air intake on overall temps then decide if I want my drives not cooled

Comment

Do your hard drives support smart? If so I dunno. I have smart disabled in my bios and I see my hard drive temps, but only the ones not in a raid array so maybe that is why you do not see them

Yeah I have thought about mounting them in my 5 1/2 bays with adapters but then I would still want a fan on them so either way the warm air would still be tossed into the system air mixture and wouldnt matter I suppose.

I dunno though, They may be alright without a fan on them anyway, I mean they arent raptors or anything. I guess I could set them outside my case and see how much of a difference it makes with the cool air intake on overall temps then decide if I want my drives not cooled
                  Yes they support, I tried this when I installed my OS earlier.
                  Though 2 things have changed, now the disks are in the GB RAID0 and the BIOS has changed to F7. Could vista have anything to do with this ?

If you mount them on 5 1/2 still the same right, it still going into the cage.
                  Since I have a kandalf case, they have a cage which can locate on the back, above & behind the CPU next to the PSU. There is a fan which pulls air from the case, over the cage, so it should be good, but I wanted to check the temps on the HDD's to be sure, but speedfan is not able to get temps now.

Comment

I am not sure really, I know if mine RAID disk on GB ports are in IDE mode I see the temps, but not in RAID mode though, So I think it is a raid issue. I use vista as well.

I think the only way is IDE mode to see the temps, I dunno let me check see what speedfan tells me, but I think it is only my non raid disks it shows on

*EDIT*

Yeap only non raid volumes show temp info. Speedfan shows me the smart info for my non raid disk even when it is off in bios as well!

Comment

What do you think about the temps.
                      Are the system temps are still a bit on the high side, 46 seems a bit on the high for idle to me....

What about the CPU vs core temps, the cores are cooler than the CPU, is this ok ?

Comment

Cores should not be cooler then cpu since they are inside the cpu it would have to be warmer or the same so adjust that I would assume. Get a copy of everest.

Yeah Idle at 46 seems high, but that all is up to you are your comfortableness with your voltages and cooling setup.

Here is mine for 3.4>>>>

Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-08-2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Cores should not be cooler then cpu since they are inside the cpu it would have to be warmer or the same so adjust that I would assume. Get a copy of everest.

Yeah Idle at 46 seems high, but that all is up to you are your comfortableness with your voltages and cooling setup.

Here is mine for 3.4>>>>
                          well, these temps are at stock !
                          cpu is at 2.4 ghz and mem is at stock 1066 5-5-5-15.
                          CPU has aftermarket cooler Zalman 9700, which looking at the temps is good for overclocking, but no way with the system temps being that high.

Comment

You talking about your system or mine?

I use a 9700 as well, those are my temps overclocked at idle.

Ya I thought you used watercooling is why I said that about cooling. Sp yeah you need to add 15C to each core on coretemp that is why they are off.

Here check out this app called realtemp it is in development but is pretty damn close to a correct coretemp reading, you may also want to get the app called coretemp

RealTemp
                            Coretemp
                            With Coretemp, DO NOT use the actual temp recording method. Go into options and tick the box that says "show remaing delta to tjunction max" that is the ACCURATE way to see how far your cpu has to go before it hits throttling action. If you keep the cpu at least 15c away or more from this...which isn't hard to do with a decent cooler and moderate airflow...your cpu will be very happy.
                            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-08-2008, 10:38 PM.

Comment

You talking about your system or mine?

I use a 9700 as well, those are my temps overclocked at idle.

Ya I thought you used watercooling is why I said that about cooling. Sp yeah you need to add 15C to each core on coretemp that is why they are off.

Here check out this app called realtemp it is in development but is pretty damn close to a correct coretemp reading, you may also want to get the app called coretemp

RealTemp

Coretemp
                              Nope, just air cooling for me.
                              I tried core temp -
                              On full load it shows
                              Core#0: 44c to Tjunction max remaining
                              Core#1: 48
                              Core#2: 44
                              Core#3: 48

All in C0 state (expected) and 2400.08Mhz(266.68 x 9.0)

This is at stock. I guess this program doesn't show MB temps.
                              I'm worried about system temps, they are a bit high.
                              The CPU cooler is barely warm to touch, the system chips are much warmer. at full load I can keep my finger for about 5-6 secs.

Comment

Ya, I would set a fan on your NB heatsink, and redo the Thermal paste under it and the mosfets if you feel up to that. Use NON conductive paste

Everest will show you MB temps, which is really the NB temps. And yeah to hot to touch is too hot, can you use less Voltage on your FSB or MCH (MCH Mainly I would try to bring down first) If so do it, or if not for sure if you do not feel like redoing the paste get a 40MM fan and stick on there

And hey, uncheck the "Show to Tjunction Max' Box and you will see you actual core temps, so that way you can make the proper adjustments to speedfan if you like, That setting just shows you how much you have left before the CPU shuts itself off from being too hot
                                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-09-2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X