Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Hello! I have a gigabyte P55 USB3 running Windows 7 Pro, 8 GB of OCZ Technology 4GB DDR3 PC3-8500 240-pin DIMM Gold Low Voltage Desktop Memory, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB. Every time the computer sits overnight or for an extended number of hours, upon boot up, post bios, I get a flashing white cursor on black screen in the upper left hand corner of screen. But as soon as I re-boot, the OS starts up like normal. AFter that, the unit boots up perfectly every time. It only appears to happen when the unit is cold?? Any ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by tributemd; 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

What BIOS are you using? Do you have the memory setup manually?

On the Advanced BIOS page can you please set your 1, 2, 3 boot order to HDD, Nothing, Nothing and see if that corrects the issue. This is just a thought, the main problem is likely a buggy BIOS or you need to adjust your settings.

Since you mention it only happens when cold, you may want to test each stick one at a time while cold, so test with one stick each morning or after the PC has set for 6-8 hours. That way you can see if one stick is causing this by itself.

Comment

GA-890GPA-UD3H
        BIOS 7-23-10 RS880D-SB850-7A66BG0JC-00
        MEM 4 GIG
        PHENOM II X 4

The question I have is how do I turn on all of the USB ports on the MB. I have the 2 in the front and the 2 rear USB 2 ports but can not figure out how to turn on the 2 USB 3 ports. I am sure it is a BIOS setting but which one?

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter209 View Post
          GA-890GPA-UD3H
          BIOS 7-23-10 RS880D-SB850-7A66BG0JC-00
          MEM 4 GIG
          PHENOM II X 4

The question I have is how do I turn on all of the USB ports on the MB. I have the 2 in the front and the 2 rear USB 2 ports but can not figure out how to turn on the 2 USB 3 ports. I am sure it is a BIOS setting but which one?
          Untegrated Peripherals, Onboard USB 3.0 Controller but it should be enabled by default.
          BIOS version is normaly Fxx, if you disable Full Screen LOGO in Advanced BIOS Features you should see it during post 3 lines below top lef corner of the screen.
          Board revision is printed on the PCB at the corner above the far PCI slot, I/O panel side.

Comment

please help me im thinking if my board is defective or not

i already reinstalled my on/off charge because i swapped my old ud4 for a b3 stepping one
            then it turned out that when i shut down my computer my front usb isnt charging my usb device that is plug in Front USB1 in the board

Comment

GA-P67A-UD4-B3

Did you try it with the desktop in sleep mode?
              Look at page 28 of your motherboard manual.
              When the system is in S4/S5 mode, only the USB ports routed to the F_USB1 header can support the ON/OFF Charge function.
              You might want to make sure it is connected to the F_USB1 header on the motherboard. Thats if you are using the front panel USB. Also check the Integrated Peripherals in Bios to make sure the USB functions are set properly. Try switching them to disabled Auto or Enabled.
              You may want to try the system Power Scheme in the S4/S5 mode.
              You may want to be sure the USB device is plugged into the F_USB1 Header not F_USB2 or F_USB3
              USB  Chipset:
              - Up to 14 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (8 on the back panel, 6 via the USB brackets
              connected to the internal USB headers)
               2 x Renesas D720200 chips:
              - Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 on the back panel, 2 via the USB brackets
              connected to the internal USB headers)
              http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
              http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
              Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
              Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
              Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
              4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
              (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
              (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
              (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
              Mid size ATX case with show through panel
              2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
              Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
              Logitech G500 USB mouse
              Monitor: CMV937A
              7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
              Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Originally posted by artdrivers View Post
                GA-P67A-UD4-B3

Did you try it with the desktop in sleep mode?
                Look at page 28 of your motherboard manual.

You might want to make sure it is connected to the F_USB1 header on the motherboard. Thats if you are using the front panel USB. Also check the Integrated Peripherals in Bios to make sure the USB functions are set properly. Try switching them to disabled Auto or Enabled.
                You may want to try the system Power Scheme in the S4/S5 mode.
                You may want to be sure the USB device is plugged into the F_USB1 Header not F_USB2 or F_USB3

will try that s4/s5 mode and BTW i already connected my front usb in F_USB1 and still it isnt working

Comment

update:

its only working in sleep mode not when i fully shut down my entire system
                  but before i swap my board into B3 stepping my on/off charge still works even if
                  i fully shut down my system

Comment

i guess i solved my own problem
                    i turned off the erp support in my bios then i tried turning off my pc
                    and it works

Comment

Way to go on finding an adequate solution to your problem. You just may have solved the problem for others as well.
                      ErP Support allows S5 power state which will provide power to the F_USB1 jack on the motherboard when the power is off. By default the ErP Support is disabled. You can find it, and enable it in your BIOS under Power Management Setup. This function is also used for other USB and Bluetooth functions. After enableing it in BIOS save and exit. Now allow the restart and then when you shutdown the power will be their.
                      F_USB1 jack is a double USB connection, so it can run 2 front USB ports.
                      ErP Support
                      Determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W power in S5 (shutdown) state. (Default: Disabled)
                      Note: When this item is set to Enabled, the following four functions will become unavailable:
                      PME event wake up, power on by mouse, power on by keyboard, and wake on LAN.
                      On/Off Charge Technology

GIGABYTE On/Off Charge technology allows you to charge your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch regardless of whether your PC is on, in standby mode or even off. A derivative of GIGABYTE's highly acclaimed 3x USB Power feature, On/Off Charge enables devices to draw more current from GIGABYTE motherboard USB ports than standard USB ports allow, so that charging from your PC can be as fast as with a charger.

Note: Due to certain mobile phone limitations, users may need to connect the mobile phone to their PC before the PC enters S4/S5 mode to enable a quick charge from non On/Off Charge USB ports. Charging results may vary by model.
                      GIGABYTE ON/OFF Charge
                      Last edited by artdrivers; 04-25-2011, 05:40 AM.
                      Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                      Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Way to go on finding an adequate solution to your problem. You just may have solved the problem for others as well.
                        ErP Support allows S5 power state which will provide power to the F_USB1 jack on the motherboard when the power is off. By default the ErP Support is disabled. You can find it, and enable it in your BIOS under Power Management Setup. This function is also used for other USB and Bluetooth functions. After enableing it in BIOS save and exit. Now allow the restart and then when you shutdown the power will be their.
                        F_USB1 jack is a double USB connection, so it can run 2 front USB ports.
                        ErP Support
                        Determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W power in S5 (shutdown) state. (Default: Disabled)
                        Note: When this item is set to Enabled, the following four functions will become unavailable:
                        PME event wake up, power on by mouse, power on by keyboard, and wake on LAN.
                        On/Off Charge Technology

GIGABYTE On/Off Charge technology allows you to charge your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch regardless of whether your PC is on, in standby mode or even off. A derivative of GIGABYTE's highly acclaimed 3x USB Power feature, On/Off Charge enables devices to draw more current from GIGABYTE motherboard USB ports than standard USB ports allow, so that charging from your PC can be as fast as with a charger.

Note: Due to certain mobile phone limitations, users may need to connect the mobile phone to their PC before the PC enters S4/S5 mode to enable a quick charge from non On/Off Charge USB ports. Charging results may vary by model.
                        GIGABYTE ON/OFF Charge
                        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                        Logitech G500 USB mouse

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          What BIOS are you using? Do you have the memory setup manually?

On the Advanced BIOS page can you please set your 1, 2, 3 boot order to HDD, Nothing, Nothing and see if that corrects the issue. This is just a thought, the main problem is likely a buggy BIOS or you need to adjust your settings.

Since you mention it only happens when cold, you may want to test each stick one at a time while cold, so test with one stick each morning or after the PC has set for 6-8 hours. That way you can see if one stick is causing this by itself.
                          I tried all your suggestions and I no longer get the flashing cursor, but it still takes a re-boot to make it function correctly. I have tried changing boot orders, etc. but still no luck. Currently, the way I have it configured right now, it will hang on the initial video card bios screen in upper left hand corner. If I re-boot it, it will boot up correctly. There's got to be an answer to this stupid issue!!!

Comment

Video card BIOS? Are you using a PCI (not PCIE) video card?

Did you ever test the memory as I mentioned?

Comment

I've upgraded RAM from 2GB to 4GB and then my rig became unstable (BSOD, CRC errors, random program FC, ...). After test my new dimms with memtest several times with no errors, and reading in some tech forums I learn that a fresh install should solve this kind of problem in most cases. Then, let's go:

Trying to install win 7 pro Sp1 64 bits:

Mobo: Gigabyte ep45-u3p rev 1.1

Disk port setting:
                              port 0: non raid disk (primary partition)
                              port 1-3: Raid 2 volumes

Mode: Raid
                              Sata Native mode: enabled

Procedure I've followed:
                              1 - format primary partition
                              2 - install windows

During post I can read "ACHI BIOS not installed",
                              and windows doesn't load.

changing mode from Raid to ACHI mode, I can read "ACHI BIOS installed" but windows doesn't load either.

Any tip or piece of advise?

PD: I've tested with F10 and F11d BIOS (now flashed)

My target is just install a fresh copy of win 7 professional 64bits SP1 in RAID mode.
                              Last edited by ack; 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM.

Comment

@ack
                                Pleas create a new thread and post the model/part# of each of the memory you have.
                                I am assuming you have 2 sets of 2x1GB.
                                Istall one matched pair in slots 1 & 2, and the second in 3 & 4, Increase MCH Core 1.16v-1.28v.

Comment

Working...
                                X