X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard problem on new GA-EP45-UD3P build

Hi all,
    I just got done putting together a new build (my 4th, and the first with a Gigabyte MB...see sig for particulars).
    On my first power on, I was having problems with the POST looping. I cleared CMOS...went into BIOS...loaded "optimized default" settings...and everything was fine.
    My problem: My keyboards are intermittent. In the middle of tweaking settings...my keyboard will not work. I have tried 3 different PS/2 keyboards that came off of working computers in my house. They will work, and then stop working. Sometimes I am able to mess with the plug, and they will work. Currently, I have it in BIOS and no amount of messing with the cable physically will work.
    Any clues? Is there such a thing as a bad keyboard connector on a MB?
    Thanks
    Kim

BTW, I'm in bare bones start up mode right now. Just keyboard, mouse, 1 stick RAM, and video card connected.

EDIT: Now I can't get a PS/2 keyboard to work no matter what. And, I did check the connectors on the MB and the keyboards. Pins are fine...holes for pins are fine.
    Last edited by wolfen18; 09-06-2009, 10:00 AM.
    Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R
    Processor - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz
    Video Card - Gigabyte GV-R485MC-1GI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3
    RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
    CPU Cooler - Zalman CNSP10X Quiet
    PSU - Corsair CMPSU-520HX
    Case - Coolermaster Storm Scout

Comment

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Hi, i have a separate topic about my problem getting an Asus 4770 graphics card to work. But i am curious if there is any where to check for known compatibility problems for specific gigabyte products. I have browsed around the gigabyte website but did not find anything.

Thanks

Comment

• Re: Keyboard problem on new GA-EP45-UD3P build

Originally posted by wolfen18 View Post
        Hi all,
        I just got done putting together a new build (my 4th, and the first with a Gigabyte MB...see sig for particulars).
        On my first power on, I was having problems with the POST looping. I cleared CMOS...went into BIOS...loaded "optimized default" settings...and everything was fine.
        My problem: My keyboards are intermittent. In the middle of tweaking settings...my keyboard will not work. I have tried 3 different PS/2 keyboards that came off of working computers in my house. They will work, and then stop working. Sometimes I am able to mess with the plug, and they will work. Currently, I have it in BIOS and no amount of messing with the cable physically will work.
        Any clues? Is there such a thing as a bad keyboard connector on a MB?
        Thanks
        Kim

BTW, I'm in bare bones start up mode right now. Just keyboard, mouse, 1 stick RAM, and video card connected.

EDIT: Now I can't get a PS/2 keyboard to work no matter what. And, I did check the connectors on the MB and the keyboards. Pins are fine...holes for pins are fine.
        Could just be a dead ps/2 port, it has happened to me on a couple of older mobo's. Why not just use a USB keyboard ps2 is an aging standard anyway. I've been usb only for my last couple of builds and never ran into issues.

Comment

• Re: Keyboard problem on new GA-EP45-UD3P build

Originally posted by RoachX View Post
          Could just be a dead ps/2 port, it has happened to me on a couple of older mobo's. Why not just use a USB keyboard ps2 is an aging standard anyway. I've been usb only for my last couple of builds and never ran into issues.
          I was pretty sure that was what the deal was. However, somehow I feel like I'll be missing something if I just let the build go on with a DOA PS/2 connection. Not to mention...my brand new MB has a dicked port? <shakes head=""> It comes down to how much hassle I want replacing the thing. Decision...decisions.

Thanks!</shakes>
          Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by RoachX View Post
            Hi, i have a separate topic about my problem getting an Asus 4770 graphics card to work. But i am curious if there is any where to check for known compatibility problems for specific gigabyte products. I have browsed around the gigabyte website but did not find anything.

Thanks
            What PSU do you have? Have you tried adding ICH Voltages?

Originally posted by wolfen18 View Post
            I was pretty sure that was what the deal was. However, somehow I feel like I'll be missing something if I just let the build go on with a DOA PS/2 connection. Not to mention...my brand new MB has a dicked port? <shakes head=""> It comes down to how much hassle I want replacing the thing. Decision...decisions.

Thanks!</shakes>

Are you sure your I/O plate is not causing a short? Are you using the latest BIOS?

If you are not using the latest BIOS I suggest you update to the latest, then you should not have any issues with PS/2 or USB keyboards, provided something else is not wrong here

Please see here for the latest BIOS

And here for a Guide on flashing

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Are you sure your I/O plate is not causing a short? Are you using the latest BIOS?

If you are not using the latest BIOS I suggest you update to the latest, then you should not have any issues with PS/2 or USB keyboards, provided something else is not wrong here
              1. I/O plate is not touching the MB back panel connectors.
              2. Flashed BIOS with latest revision. Problem still occurs, and is once again intermittent. I have had the keyboard work for 36 sec, 2 minutes, and 1 hr. Last 4 starts keyboard use lasts 2 minutes at most.

Results of the testing indicates that the I/O plate may still be a problem. However, I have wiggled both the keyboardPS/2 connector while it is inserted, the I/O plate, and the PS/2 port on the motherboard (the wiggling on the MB was more like a gently touching)...and the problem is not reproducible with this. I'm not sure if my sample size of these actions was statistically significant though.

I really don't know. I'm going to pick up a USB keyboard and mouse today, and go from there. If the USB fixes it, I'll have to see if I can live with the fact of a "flawed" board. It will make me wonder when something else is going to fail on it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kim

EDIT: I just hooked up a USB keyboard and had the same problem. If it can't even behave in bare bones start up mode after both being flashed and having CMOS cleared it has issues. If anyone has something else I can try within the next day I will. Otherwise. RMAing back to newegg.

Another EDIT: Well, I looked at the other 3 computers in my house, and none of them have DDR2. I have some DDR 333. I do have another stick of the GSkil hanging out that I bought for this build.

Can I do a MEM86 test from a bootable USB drive? I'll have to go research that.

EDIT: Someone on another forum suggested it might be bad RAM. So, I ran memtest86 via a bootable USB. And, whatever the deal is with this build, it fails memtest totally every time I run it. I've run it with 1 stick of RAM, then the other, both sticks...fail...fail...fail.

According to my minimal understanding of memtest, it also tests L1 and L2 cache.

Just a side note, I did check BIOS to make sure the voltages, and speeds were correct for the RAM and the CPU.

I'm returning the MB and RAM to newegg. I will get a replacement on the MB, but I'm wondering if I should go with different RAM? Any suggestions?

Thanks
              Last edited by wolfen18; 09-07-2009, 06:28 PM.

Comment

You need to be sure you are using this memtest86+ 2.11 >>
                Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I am thinking more towards driver issues than anything else since you say it is intermittent and also shows up with USB mice as well

Can you please install the latest Intel INF Driver and see if that corrects things
                Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Just so you know, with 4GB of ram you need to set a few things manually. Most importantly you need to set your own ram voltage, and set MCH to 1.20-.124

Comment

You need to be sure you are using this memtest86+ 2.11 >>
                  Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I am thinking more towards driver issues than anything else since you say it is intermittent and also shows up with USB mice as well

Can you please install the latest Intel INF Driver and see if that corrects things
                  Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Just so you know, with 4GB of ram you need to set a few things manually. Most importantly you need to set your own ram voltage, and set MCH to 1.20-.124
                  1. I'll look into which memtest I'm using.
                  2. I'm in barebones start up. No hard drive or OS yet.
                  3. I'll check the voltages to make sure.

Thanks!

EDIT:
                  1. memtest is v2.11
                  If it wasn't for having to go to work...damn the man...I'd check the other thing.
                  Last edited by wolfen18; 09-08-2009, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Since you are using 2.11 Memtest86+ then it could be faulty ram, or just incorrect settings. Once you get time please post a link or the exact model of your ram then fill out a template (Link in my signature) of your settings and we can advise back

Ahh no drives or OS yet, so this only is intermittent in the BIOS then? Could just be the BIOS version you are using, or some glitch with your screen then (Is it large)

Comment

Since you are using 2.11 Memtest86+ then it could be faulty ram, or just incorrect settings. Once you get time please post a link or the exact model of your ram then fill out a template (Link in my signature) of your settings and we can advise back

Ahh no drives or OS yet, so this only is intermittent in the BIOS then? Could just be the BIOS version you are using, or some glitch with your screen then (Is it large)
                      Dang...I wish I could take another day off to dick with this. Anyways, I will get on this as soon as I get home.

RAM link

Cheers,

Kim

Comment

Thanks, well when you do get time feel free to make a new thread so I wont get lost as to where your info is at.

Please add your issues, specs, ect when you make the new thread and I will be happy to help

Comment

Thanks, well when you do get time feel free to make a new thread so I wont get lost as to where your info is at.

Please add your issues, specs, ect when you make the new thread and I will be happy to help
                          Started a new thread here.

Comment

K, I will check it out for you shortly!

Hopefully we can get things squared away for ya

Comment

We have a GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard with a i7920 processor. When booting it turns on for about 2-3 seconds and then restarts. Power supply tests fine. Tried removing all components except processor. Reseated processor several times. Added essential components but problem still persists. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by p93ak View Post
                                We have a GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard with a i7920 processor. When booting it turns on for about 2-3 seconds and then restarts. Power supply tests fine. Tried removing all components except processor. Reseated processor several times. Added essential components but problem still persists. Any suggestions?

Did you get this going? If not, please tell us your full specs, including your PSU and a link to your memory.

First thing to try it clearing the CMOS, using either the button on the board and if that does not work try this method I ouline in post #2 here >>

Then if you have no luck, make sure you have the memory in the correct slots, the white slots 1, 3, 5. If you do have them in the correct slots, try with only one or two sticks of memory. Test the memory in another board if you can, or try your board with another single stick of 1.5V rated el cheapo memory if you can, as it could just be your BIOS needs updated for the memory you have

Did you look for bent pins inside the CPU Socket? If not, and the above does not help or you can test your memory or board with other memory then you may want to remove your CPU and check this just to be sure.

Have you had the board out of the case, and OFF the tray, and tried with the minimal hardware such as your CPU/Heatsink fan, GFX Card, and one stick of ram ONLY? If not you may need to try that.

What Heatsink are you using, does it have a back plate? Have you tried the Intel one? I ask because I know a few types have been known to cause shorts, the HSF itself or the backplate.

For help further than that you will need to give us your full specs so we can see if maybe you are using something known to be incompatible, such as a PSU, memory, ect.

Comment

Working...
                                X