Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

I definitely don't think it is the drive Dr Phill. I have created and fixed this problem on a number of hard disks now, including Hitachi and an old Maxtor.

I am satisfied it is the BIOS hanging on the contents of the hard disk...which IMHO it should never do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeltz View Post
      I definitely don't think it is the drive Dr Phill. I have created and fixed this problem on a number of hard disks now, including Hitachi and an old Maxtor.

I am satisfied it is the BIOS hanging on the contents of the hard disk...which IMHO it should never do.
      Greetings , Jeltz,

I was almost convinced that the installation was not the problem because except for the bios part (and of course the poor performance) everything was normal.
      What you suggest?
      Attached Files

Comment

A few questions about the ga-x58a-ud3r,

I'm a little unsure about how the PCIe slots work with this board. If both the new <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: rgb(0, 0, 255);" id="itxt_nobr_0_0">sata</nobr> 3.0 6gbs and usb 3.0 are turned on, will the two x16 slots both work at the full 16 for for a two card crossfire/sli? If a three card cf/sli is used, will it be x16 x16 x8 with the new sata and usb turned on?

Also, will you be able to boot from an ssd using the sata 3.0 6gb? I heard that this does not work at present but a bios <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: rgb(0, 0, 255);" id="itxt_nobr_1_0">update</nobr> may enable this in the future? Anyone have any info on this?

Lastly, the approved memory list at Gigabyte does not list any 1600 or 1333 memory. I assume that most DDR3 1600 and 1333 will work, but I hate to buy the odd brand/model that doesn't. Can anyone confirm any specific ram that they are running successfully with this board?

Thanks. This seems like a great board but I'd like to get the above questions answered before I buy.

Comment

DrPhill,
          No, when the BIOS is set to AHCI rather than IDE mode, you should always see the SATA AHCI BIOS screen, but it should not hang while detecting devices. It should detect all the SATA devices you have plugged in, list them on screen and then continue to the boot device. This thread is about the hang in this BIOS on code 23 (23 towards upper right of screen).

If the BIOS does not hang, then if the boot device does not have an O.S it will then sit there waiting forever for an O.S. If the boot device does have an O.S., in Windows 7 at least it will boot with the correct driver (AHCI or IDE ) even if you have changed BIOS setting to/from IDE. Previous operating systems you may get the BSOD if O.S. lacks an AHCI driver. This BSOD can generally be fixed by changing a couple of O.S. registry settings in IDE mode before the boot to AHCI.

NOTE: Raid is more difficult all round. It is way too easy to destroy data trying to recreate a broken RAID unless you do EXACTLY the right thing first time. AFAIK RAID piggy backs on top of AHCI mode.

Comment

Im having serious issues with my raid-10 setup on the X58A-UD7. I have 4 velocirators in raid-10, but every time my disk 3 is giving an error, I have replaced the drive with a new one, and still the same error, is there some know problem and solution with the raid firmware? It is all attached on ports 0-3 on intel slots

Comment

Hello at all,

I have a problem with my GA-EX58-UD3R since I flashed my board with latest bios (F8 and F9).
              I get randomly some BSOD (dxgmms1.sys corruption).
              Since I am back in the BIOS F6 (2 days), everything works perfectly!
              My system:

Thank in advance...

Comment

Enable SATA AHCI Mode

Follow this step by step:

1.You will need Intel Rapid Storage Manager(9.5.7.1002).
                Extract the files in folder.In the folder go to "Drivers" and copy (x32 or x64) iaStor.sys ,which paste in Windows\System32\Drivers\

2.Enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:
                1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
                2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
                3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
                4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\IastorV
                5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
                6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
                7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

3. Now reboot your system. Go directly into the BIOS menu, change SATA controller mode from IDE to AHCI or RAID. Exit & save changes.

4. Boot into windows. It will detect new hardware now, cancel that wizard.
                Instead start the downloaded Intel Storage Manager Software.
                When it is done installing, reboot once again.

5. Now in your device manager Intel (R) ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller (or RAID) should show up.

Last edited by stasio; 03-06-2010, 02:27 AM.

Comment

ciao!,hello!. i write from italy.
                  I have problems.

my motherboard model GA-MA785GMT-UD2H,can not boot from USB key.

I can not install the operating system to boot from USB Key.

I can not install programs from boot usb key ( example: restore program,I can not install from boot usb key)

please , help me.

Comment

Hi all,

I upgraded my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 bios from F3 to F12 a couple days back. My Windows7 was setup just fine to run AHCI (UDMA 7 as shown on HDTUNE)

I took apart my computer yesterday to re-do the wiring, tuck everything nice and clean.
                    I changed the slots that some of the HDs are connected to, and then when I rebooted, all my SATA drives stopped working!

Here is the error I get:

-----

Serial ATA AHCI Bios, Version iSRC 1.20E
                    Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation_________________________23
                    ** This version supports only HardDisks & CDROM drives **
                    Please wait. This will take a few seconds.

Controller Bus#00, Device #1F, Function #02: 06 Ports, 05 Devices
                    __

------

It just freezes on the above screen, if memory serves correctly, the number 23 was always showing as 16 before when everything was going fine.

So I went to bios, resetted the defaults to IDE, and voila, the computer now boots flawlessly, all my drives are working etc.

So I go back to bios, change it to AHCI / Native, and same problem, reset to IDE, it works, change to AHCI / Legacy, and same problem.

So I figure, no problem, I will format (the answer to everything), so I reset, and change it back to IDE, and then change to AHCI/Native before spamming F12 to get to boot menu so I can format. But the boot menu happens after the screen, so now I can't even get to the boot menu that will let me boot from CD if I have the system set to AHCI!!

So I reset to IDE, boot from CD, format, reinstall Win7, no problems. Change it back to AHCI, and the problem is back!!

I know for sure that when I installed last year, I had set my bios to AHCI BEFORE INSTALLING WINDOWS 7, but now it seems I can't even do that.

It seems that I am stuck using all my drives in non-sata mode forever now??
                    This can't be right... Surely there is a work around...

Oh and,

I did a search for: bios hang "serial ATA AHCI BIOS, version isrc" on google and got this http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&q=bios+h...06986a12a2b3d5 . It looks like the problem is mainly on gigabyte motherboards, but I don't see a solution, most say just set to ahci and reformat, I'd love to but I can't do that cause it won't let me get to the BOOT FROM menu with bios set to AHCI!!!

THANKS A LOT!

Comment

Originally posted by felixs View Post
                      Hello at all,

I have a problem with my GA-EX58-UD3R since I flashed my board with latest bios (F8 and F9).
                      I get randomly some BSOD (dxgmms1.sys corruption).
                      Since I am back in the BIOS F6 (2 days), everything works perfectly!
                      My system:

Thank in advance...
                      This is a graphics error. Are you using the latest drivers? What GFX Card? You may also need to adjust IOH/ICH Voltages as the values may be slightly different between versions and maybe you card requires a little bit more.

Originally posted by fantastikalobios View Post
                      ciao!,hello!. i write from italy.
                      I have problems.

my motherboard model GA-MA785GMT-UD2H,can not boot from USB key.

I can not install the operating system to boot from USB Key.

I can not install programs from boot usb key ( example: restore program,I can not install from boot usb key)

please , help me.
                      To boot from USB, the easiest way I suggest to users is this. Leave your USB Device connected and go into the BIOS, the be sure you have all USB enabled in the BIOS, then reboot and hit F12 to get to the choose boot device screen. On the boot menu choice screen please choose HDD+, then once on the next screen you should see your hard drive/drives and your USB device. Simply choose your USB Stick and it should boot from it provided it is bootable

Originally posted by super-fly_2010 View Post
                      Hi all,

I upgraded my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 bios from F3 to F12 a couple days back. My Windows7 was setup just fine to run AHCI (UDMA 7 as shown on HDTUNE)

I took apart my computer yesterday to re-do the wiring, tuck everything nice and clean.
                      I changed the slots that some of the HDs are connected to, and then when I rebooted, all my SATA drives stopped working!

Here is the error I get:

-----

Serial ATA AHCI Bios, Version iSRC 1.20E
                      Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation_________________________23
                      ** This version supports only HardDisks & CDROM drives **
                      Please wait. This will take a few seconds.

Controller Bus#00, Device #1F, Function #02: 06 Ports, 05 Devices
                      __

------

It just freezes on the above screen, if memory serves correctly, the number 23 was always showing as 16 before when everything was going fine.

So I went to bios, resetted the defaults to IDE, and voila, the computer now boots flawlessly, all my drives are working etc.

So I go back to bios, change it to AHCI / Native, and same problem, reset to IDE, it works, change to AHCI / Legacy, and same problem.

So I figure, no problem, I will format (the answer to everything), so I reset, and change it back to IDE, and then change to AHCI/Native before spamming F12 to get to boot menu so I can format. But the boot menu happens after the screen, so now I can't even get to the boot menu that will let me boot from CD if I have the system set to AHCI!!

So I reset to IDE, boot from CD, format, reinstall Win7, no problems. Change it back to AHCI, and the problem is back!!

I know for sure that when I installed last year, I had set my bios to AHCI BEFORE INSTALLING WINDOWS 7, but now it seems I can't even do that.

It seems that I am stuck using all my drives in non-sata mode forever now??
                      This can't be right... Surely there is a work around...

Oh and,

I did a search for: bios hang "serial ATA AHCI BIOS, version isrc" on google and got this http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&q=bios+h...06986a12a2b3d5 . It looks like the problem is mainly on gigabyte motherboards, but I don't see a solution, most say just set to ahci and reformat, I'd love to but I can't do that cause it won't let me get to the BOOT FROM menu with bios set to AHCI!!!

THANKS A LOT!
                      Here, I am not fully clear on what you issue is but I can help you set it so you can choose any of those options in the BIOS and still boot to windows (Do not choose RAID unless/until you have RAID Drivers installed)

In the registry make the following changes and you can boot from either IDE/AHCI/RAID
                      Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
                      Code:
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

To boot from USB, the easiest way I suggest to users is this. Leave your USB Device connected and go into the BIOS, the be sure you have all USB enabled in the BIOS, then reboot and hit F12 to get to the choose boot device screen. On the boot menu choice screen please choose HDD+, then once on the next screen you should see your hard drive/drives and your USB device. Simply choose your USB Stick and it should boot from it provided it is bootable
                        ________ Edit _________________
                        I solved.
                        now works.
                        with a different method of formatting.
                        I apologize to the forum and Gigabyte.
                        Last edited by fantastikalobios; 03-21-2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

What does not work, which part is not working your reply isn't very clear on the issue?

Are you sure your USB stick is bootable, I mean have you booted with it on other machines with the current contents? Your USB must be formatted to FAT32 or FAT16, and of course it must be bootable (Have OS, DOS Boot files, ect on it)

This is the simplest way to do it, other way you can try setting your USB stick as first bootable device in the boot order, but that is often a hassle and hard to get working right.

Can you see your USB stick in Qflash? Put a BIOS file on it (.F8 for example, ONLY the actual BIOS file no autoexec.bat) and then enter qflash with your USB Stick already plugged in, then see if you can browse to your USB stick and see that BIOS file. If you can see the file or browse your USB stick then it is compatible to boot with. If that is the case, you can see it in Qflash, then you either are not doing what I mentioned above correctly, or your USB Stick does not have any bootable files on it.
                          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-20-2010, 12:03 AM.

Comment

What does not work, which part is not working your reply isn't very clear on the issue?

Are you sure your USB stick is bootable, I mean have you booted with it on other machines with the current contents? Your USB must be formatted to FAT32 or FAT16, and of course it must be bootable (Have OS, DOS Boot files, ect on it)

This is the simplest way to do it, other way you can try setting your USB stick as first bootable device in the boot order, but that is often a hassle and hard to get working right.

Can you see your USB stick in Qflash? Put a BIOS file on it (.F8 for example, ONLY the actual BIOS file no autoexec.bat) and then enter qflash with your USB Stick already plugged in, then see if you can browse to your USB stick and see that BIOS file. If you can see the file or browse your USB stick then it is compatible to boot with. If that is the case, you can see it in Qflash, then you either are not doing what I mentioned above correctly, or your USB Stick does not have any bootable files on it.

______________ Edit _____________

thanks for your reply.
                            I solved.
                            now works.

I apologize for my English translation (i use google translator)

Last edited by fantastikalobios; 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Ahh, well it very well could be your chipset then, but I don't see how that would affect this though.

Care to take a few pics and show me what you are seeing on the screen where I said you should see your USB Stick, the page after HDD+ on the F12 boot menu screen?

Just want to see how it looks, be sure you have USB 1 + 2 enabled in the BIOS of course and leave your USB Stick plugged in when you reboot to F12 menu. You must also be sure you have Legacy USB Storage Detect enabled in the Integrated Peripherals section of the BIOS.

Comment

Ahh, well it very well could be your chipset then, but I don't see how that would affect this though.

Care to take a few pics and show me what you are seeing on the screen where I said you should see your USB Stick, the page after HDD+ on the F12 boot menu screen?

Just want to see how it looks, be sure you have USB 1 + 2 enabled in the BIOS of course and leave your USB Stick plugged in when you reboot to F12 menu. You must also be sure you have Legacy USB Storage Detect enabled in the Integrated Peripherals section of the BIOS.
                                _________ Edit ____________

I solved.
                                now works.

I apologize for my English translation (i use google translator)

thanks for the patience he had with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X