Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASrockrack 2750 avoton IPMI/BMC issues

Hello,

I recently got the C2750D4I avoton motherboard and cannot get the IMPI/BMC working! I have two sticks of supported RAM (according to the QVL) and can boot to the bios settings no worries.

When I connect the dedicated IPMI lan port to my modem/router I can see that DHCP gives it an IP address (and the MAC is correct) and the IP address of the IPMI port becomes pingable. I have verified this by runnning a continuous ping from my laptop, taking out the cable to the IPMI port and then seeing the pings drop. When I plug it back in, the pings are successful again.

However, when I open my browser and punch in the URL of the IP address (http://192.168.0.10 for example) I just get "page cannot be displayed". I have tried multiple browsers and have also run a port scan on the IPMI IP address checking tcp ports 80 and 443. Both were blocked so it doesn't look like any web service is working on the IPMI port.

Has anyone else experienced this and how can I get it working?

Re: ASrockrack 2750 avoton IPMI/BMC issues

Can you tell what is the BMC version from the bios? What is the version of the bios itself?

First make sure your bios is all in default before trying it out again. Otherwise, it sounds like it requires a reset. ASRock has an executable file that allows you to reset BMC from your PC. Since you are still covered by warranty, Bill can help you on that.

I have the file but Bill will provide better insight before a full reset.

Comment

Latest BIOS P2.40 update and BMC firmware 0.17.0 are available ASRock Rack > C2750D4I . Users of C2750D4I ran into problem are encouraged to try to update the BIOS and BMC altogether.

Click image for larger version

Name:	c2750update.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	754494

Bill
      ASRock Rack
      [email protected]

Comment

I just installed the updated BIOS and BMC. Some comments:
        1. BMC IP resets to 0.0.0.0 after BIOS upgrade even if set up to static and preserve the parameters
        2. Still had instance where the server boots ok but there is no signal coming out from BMC using either Firefox or Chrome
        3. Still getting errors unknown sensor "OEM Timestamped" errors but this time without effect on the Java console
        4. The BMC interface is still not updated to the latest browsers. The screen extends all the way out the borders of the browser window. A simple html/css update should have fixed it.
        5. Seems to recover lost connection and more stable now having experience less lock-ups.

Comment

I too have problems with my IPMI web site meaning I can no longer update my BMC.
          Please can someone send me the executable file to update the BMC?

Comment

My case is a little different. If anyone is on a similar situation, stay tuned:

I got this board a couple of weeks ago, BMC was operational but in a old release (0.14), so was the BIOS/UEFI. As it is a new setup (will migrate my Media Server to it), I decided to have a start with an up-to-date BIOS/UEFI. So I did the UEFI/BIOS update (2.50), which was OK. Then went for the IPMI and did the BMC upgrade (0.19.0). All messages indicated a successful update. Reboot!

I had set a static IP address for the IPMI interface. It did not respond (not even pinging). I went to the BIOS/UEFI to override the IP address, no response- neither by choosing Dynamic (no IP gets assigned to the interface) or setting the old or a new static IP address. UEFI/BIOS reports BMC tests are OK. I also tried connecting a laptop directly to the IPMI port with static IPs, no good. I also tried removing the CMOS battery and letting it rest a little, nothing changes.

Fiddled a little - set the UEFI/BIOS not to wait for IPMI/BMC (just to speed up the boots), BIOS/UEFI reports BMC tests fail - what I think can be normal behavior as it probably is not up yet when BIOS/UEFI queries it.

So I hope Bill can help me here - sending a PM to him in a few

Wish me luck, would you?

Marcelo

Comment

Originally posted by malves61 View Post
              My case is a little different. If anyone is on a similar situation, stay tuned:

I got this board a couple of weeks ago, BMC was operational but in a old release (0.14), so was the BIOS/UEFI. As it is a new setup (will migrate my Media Server to it), I decided to have a start with an up-to-date BIOS/UEFI. So I did the UEFI/BIOS update (2.50), which was OK. Then went for the IPMI and did the BMC upgrade (0.19.0). All messages indicated a successful update. Reboot!

I had set a static IP address for the IPMI interface. It did not respond (not even pinging). I went to the BIOS/UEFI to override the IP address, no response- neither by choosing Dynamic (no IP gets assigned to the interface) or setting the old or a new static IP address. UEFI/BIOS reports BMC tests are OK. I also tried connecting a laptop directly to the IPMI port with static IPs, no good. I also tried removing the CMOS battery and letting it rest a little, nothing changes.

Fiddled a little - set the UEFI/BIOS not to wait for IPMI/BMC (just to speed up the boots), BIOS/UEFI reports BMC tests fail - what I think can be normal behavior as it probably is not up yet when BIOS/UEFI queries it.

So I hope Bill can help me here - sending a PM to him in a few

Wish me luck, would you?

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo, did you update the BMC firmware with "Enter Preserve Configuration" option checked? Also, after updating the BMC firmware and lost the IPMI connectivity, did you try to perform a complete power cycle to the board (off/on from PSU's end)? When using dynamic IP addressing in UEFI, please make sure the BMC has completely booted up with flashing LED mode before entering into the UEFI, that way it would register the assigned IPMI IP and show in BIOS -> Server Management. Or if you otherwise still can't access to the IPMI, please email me at [email protected] so that I can provide you a BMC Reset Utility. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
                Hi Marcelo, did you update the BMC firmware with "Enter Preserve Configuration" option checked? Also, after updating the BMC firmware and lost the IPMI connectivity, did you try to perform a complete power cycle to the board (off/on from PSU's end)? When using dynamic IP addressing in UEFI, please make sure the BMC has completely booted up with flashing LED mode before entering into the UEFI, that way it would register the assigned IPMI IP and show in BIOS -> Server Management. Or if you otherwise still can't access to the IPMI, please email me at [email protected] so that I can provide you a BMC Reset Utility. Thank you!
                Hi Everyone!

I would like to publicly thank Bill for his efforts to solve my issue. I have to say it was not an easy case, but Bill is extremely knowledgeable and patient.

All is well for a couple of weeks now, and I am very satisfied.

Regards,

Marcelo

Comment

The vast majority of ipmi issues are going to be a direct result of not understanding the config and lack of patience. The best way to avoid any issues with your BIOS/BMC:
                  • Update your BIOS/UEFI
                  • Update BMC
                  • Load UEFI defaults in BIOS, set management IPs to static and make note.
                  • Reset BMC settings to default setting, then go ahead and make your changes to it, stay away from the network settings in the WEBGUI unless your an advanced user, this is where most issues will arise from having conflicting net setting in EFI and BMC WEBGUI. I personally prefer the EFI to handle net management IP settings.

That should get you up and running, don't forget that some EFI/BMC setting may need a power cycle, or cache flush to apply changes and the BMC can take upwards of 30seconds to reboot. I like to enable the "wait for BMC" option in EFI, this will make the board boot up the BMC before moving to the EFI. Yes it greatly increases boot time but your most likely using as a server so boot time should mean nothing to you.

It is a bit unfortunate for new server users that ASRock does not really provide in depth documentation for the IPMI. But you have google so you should be able to find your way eventually, be patient and do some reading, it's amazing what you can do after you do some research/reading.

Again this is not directed at any in particular just some advice for getting to know your new toys and playing sysadmin.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnRB View Post
                    The vast majority of ipmi issues are going to be a direct result of not understanding the config and lack of patience. The best way to avoid any issues with your BIOS/BMC:
                    • Update your BIOS/UEFI
                    • Update BMC
                    • Load UEFI defaults in BIOS, set management IPs to static and make note.
                    • Reset BMC settings to default setting, then go ahead and make your changes to it, stay away from the network settings in the WEBGUI unless your an advanced user, this is where most issues will arise from having conflicting net setting in EFI and BMC WEBGUI. I personally prefer the EFI to handle net management IP settings.

That should get you up and running, don't forget that some EFI/BMC setting may need a power cycle, or cache flush to apply changes and the BMC can take upwards of 30seconds to reboot. I like to enable the "wait for BMC" option in EFI, this will make the board boot up the BMC before moving to the EFI. Yes it greatly increases boot time but your most likely using as a server so boot time should mean nothing to you.

It is a bit unfortunate for new server users that ASRock does not really provide in depth documentation for the IPMI. But you have google so you should be able to find your way eventually, be patient and do some reading, it's amazing what you can do after you do some research/reading.

Again this is not directed at any in particular just some advice for getting to know your new toys and playing sysadmin.
                    Precisely!

Comment

Originally posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
                      Latest BIOS P2.40 update and BMC firmware 0.17.0 are available ASRock Rack > C2750D4I . Users of C2750D4I ran into problem are encouraged to try to update the BIOS and BMC altogether.

[ATTACH]7039[/ATTACH]

Bill
                      ASRock Rack
                      [email protected]
                      <style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 13.0px; font: 13.0px Arial; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; background-color: #ffffff}span.s1 {font-kerning: none; color: #222222; -webkit-text-stroke: 0px #222222}span.s2 {font-kerning: none}</style>Bill - I purchased a C2750D4I 6 months ago and I have been experiencing similar issues after attempting to update the BMC firmware to version 0.30. After reboot, the BMC initialization fails, I have no web based IPMI access, and the BIOS wiped out the IP address I had set for the IPMI as well as the Network Bonding option. I proceeded to shutdown the machine unplugged the power supply and removed the CMOs battery in an attempt to reset it. After powering up, I was able to pull up the login screen for the IPMI Web GUI, however, when I tried to login using the login name and password that I usually do, I get an error message that says "Invalid Authentication". Is there a tool that will allow me to reset the IPMI back to factory defaults so I can login to the Web GUI again?

Thanks!

Best,

Kane

Comment

I know this is an old thread but was hoping someone could chime in a help. I have an As rock E3C226D2I and have trying forever to access IPMI. I had given up along time ago but my new processor has no GPU so I need it.

I've updated my firmware but in BIOS it does a blank BMC version. During boot waiting for BMC takes the full 30 seconds and I cannot access IPMI through the static IP assigned. I've tried resetting everything but still nothing.

Comment

Working...
                        X