Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Bios 2.31A Wont Shut Down Completely - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Bios 2.31A Wont Shut Down Completely - Help!

Hi guys,

Ok I have an issue with my AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 motherboard, I was using Bios 2.04 and she was pretty unstable and decided to update my bios, so I updated to 2.20 and everything was a lot better except when I hit shutdown in Win7 the OS shuts down but the PC does not, fans etc still running in the Computer Itself, so I updated to 2.30 and then to 2.31A, all the same, I have tried many different things, reset CMOS, disabled startup items, you name it I have scoured all the different forums etc to find a fix for this, please please has anyone got any suggestions for me at all?

Many many thanks in advance

Re: Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Bios 2.31A Wont Shut Down Completely - Help!

In order to ensure this is an issue with the hardware or BIOS you could boot from a liveCD and see if a shutdown from within that environment gives identical results. If you can shutdown from within a Linux liveCD environment, then the issue is likely related to your Windows installation.

Comment

Originally posted by vuldin View Post
      In order to ensure this is an issue with the hardware or BIOS you could boot from a liveCD and see if a shutdown from within that environment gives identical results. If you can shutdown from within a Linux liveCD environment, then the issue is likely related to your Windows installation.

Thanks heap mate for your reply, ok so I am assuming you may be suggesting theres an issue outside of the bios itself as previous bios' worked and now test do not, this is when the issue occurred was after the upgrade.

Can you grab me a link if possible for the correct program etc I need to download and run?

Many thanks again.

P.S - I don't need Linux installed I hope?
      Last edited by inspectagame; 06-02-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Here's a link to a post I made earlier which gives details on how to boot from a linux liveCD in order to test shutdown functionality from within another software environment:

Once you boot into archlinux you will first get a screen asking which environment to boot (accept default or wait for it to continue automatically). Eventually you will be left at a shell prompt logged in as root. All you need to do is type the following command:
        Code:
        shutdown -h now
        If this works then the issue is likely within your Windows software environment. If the computer doesn't ever fully shutdown from archlinux then the new BIOS, some BIOS setting, or some hardware component is likely the issue.

Comment

Ok so Basically I need to do the following for this is windows to setup:
          Download >>> ISO Size: 547.0 MB - https://www.archlinux.org/download/
          USB Installation in Windows:
          Using USBwriter
          Just download the Arch Linux ISO as above, and use the USBwriter utility to write to your USB flash memory from here:
          Download USBWriter from SourceForge.net
          Then rebbot and boot from the USB
          Select Default
          Wait until I get a command prompt
          Type:
          shutdown -h now
          If it shuts down then its something in the Win Environment
          If it doesn't then its bios related.

OK got it thanks heaps.
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Two Questions:
          1. If its Bios Related what are my options guys as there are not any newer versions of Bios for this machine and this bios is super stable, any suggestions guys as to what settings I could change in my bios??

2. If it's the PC itself, where am I to start to find out what's causing this as it was working perfeclt before, what programs or diagnostic tools or sugestions guys do you all suggest, BTW Win7 x64

Comment

If you still run into issues with shutdown from within the Linux environment, then the next thing I think about it is a problem with some component responding to the shutdown message correctly. To be honest I'm not sure how the shutdown procedure works, but I assume there is a signal sent out to components followed by a response from that component of some sort. Maybe the system is waiting for such a response and not getting it from some component. Don't take any of this as fact, by the way, I'm just brainstorming about possibilities :D

Please post all your component details. If this problem persists within the Linux environment, then shutdown and unplug all but the basic components (PSU, motherboard, CPU, memory, video). Startup again... this part may be easier to do from the Linux liveCD so that Windows won't get confused about anything. Try to shutdown and see what happens.

If it doesn't persist in the Linux environment then there is something wrong with the Windows environment. I don't know how to handle Windows issues very well... I have one brute force method I use most times which is to format the drives and start from a fresh install. There are probably other (sometimes) better options available though.

Comment

Originally posted by vuldin View Post
              If you still run into issues with shutdown from within the Linux environment, then the next thing I think about it is a problem with some component responding to the shutdown message correctly. To be honest I'm not sure how the shutdown procedure works, but I assume there is a signal sent out to components followed by a response from that component of some sort. Maybe the system is waiting for such a response and not getting it from some component. Don't take any of this as fact, by the way, I'm just brainstorming about possibilities :D

Please post all your component details. If this problem persists within the Linux environment, then shutdown and unplug all but the basic components (PSU, motherboard, CPU, memory, video). Startup again... this part may be easier to do from the Linux liveCD so that Windows won't get confused about anything. Try to shutdown and see what happens.

If it doesn't persist in the Linux environment then there is something wrong with the Windows environment. I don't know how to handle Windows issues very well... I have one brute force method I use most times which is to format the drives and start from a fresh install. There are probably other (sometimes) better options available though.

Ok all done, about to boot into linux LIVE CD Mode, will post back shortly :)

Comment

Hey guys, that was a terrible experience, sorry vuldin.

I did everything that was required downloaded the iso copied using the windows usb tool booted into it and up came the prompt at the end of everything, it said shutdown doesnt exist, tried that many times and then booted back to bios, its erased my specific bios I had setup with specific voltages etc, so now working to solve that issue, so no I never even got to test the whole point of doing all of that.

Thanks again mate but no go.

Can anyone else please help me with this issue at all, I am really needing some advice, vuldin don't know what happened but it aint working.

Comment

Guys is there a newer Bios available for the Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 newer than L2.31A?

I am prepared to give it a shot, anyone know, even if its modified again I am prepared to give it a go??

Comment

Bump, can anyone suggest something else please?

Comment

No, there is nothing newer then the BETA 2.31a. Unplug PSU then plug in again with OS off.

I would clear CMOS, then go in and reset BIOS. Try shutdown again. If you don't have a IVY CPU it could be the problem, you updated the BIOS for IVY CPU.

Also unplug any hardware like USB, Ex drives, make sure no programs are running which can cause a problem.

Contact Asrock bill, tell him what CPU, BIOS version, behavior of PC.

View Profile: ASRockRack TSD - Bill - TweakTown Forums

This might be a PSU problem if not a BIOS problem.

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
                        No, there is nothing newer then the BETA 2.31a. Unplug PSU then plug in again with OS off.

I would clear CMOS, then go in and reset BIOS. Try shutdown again. If you don't have a IVY CPU it could be the problem, you updated the BIOS for IVY CPU.

Also unplug any hardware like USB, Ex drives, make sure no programs are running which can cause a problem.

Contact Asrock bill, tell him what CPU, BIOS version, behavior of PC.

View Profile: ASRockRack TSD - Bill - TweakTown Forums

This might be a PSU problem if not a BIOS problem.
                        Wow, thanks so very much, ok done everything you said, I am off to talk to Bill, awesome and cheers :)

Comment

Dear inspectagame,

Do you adjust any BIOS settings in BIOS L2.31A?
                          Please refer to the following suggestions to verify this issue.
                          1. Load BIOS default settings and then check if the symptom still exist.
                          2. Unplug LAN cable to try.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
                            Dear inspectagame,

Do you adjust any BIOS settings in BIOS L2.31A?
                            Please refer to the following suggestions to verify this issue.
                            1. Load BIOS default settings and then check if the symptom still exist.
                            2. Unplug LAN cable to try.

Thank you!
                            Hi Emily thanks a heap for getting back to me, the settings in the 2.31 bios are the same that I had in previous Bios', so nothing new apart from the additional setting or two added to the newer bios' which I have not touched.

I will try with the Lan Cable taken out and see what happens and post back ASAP, many thanks Emily :)

Comment

NO, the Machine does not shutdown when I hit the shutdown button, the machine is still powered on.

Please help....arrghh!

Comment

Working...
                              X