Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Bios 2.31A Wont Shut Down Completely - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Bios 2.31A Wont Shut Down Completely - Help!

Time to check that the cases power button isn't defective.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      Time to check that the cases power button isn't defective.
      Hi guys, sorry for the delay, I literally rebuilt my PC with a brand new power supply and CPU cooler, no still the same issue guys, ok I am now at a loss apart from the updated bios, is there possibly a modified version of the 2.31A that has the 2.4 code for the Sandy Bridge at all ?

Comment

Originally posted by inspectagame View Post
        Hi guys, sorry for the delay, I literally rebuilt my PC with a brand new power supply and CPU cooler, no still the same issue guys, ok I am now at a loss apart from the updated bios, is there possibly a modified version of the 2.31A that has the 2.4 code for the Sandy Bridge at all ?
        If your problem was simply a BIOS issue, you and everyone else with your board and BIOS version would have posted in this forum about it. We would be aware of the problem and know the fix. But all of that is not the case.

Try starting a cmd window, with administrator privileges, and type in and run this command: shutdown /p

That should immediately shutdown the PC. Another version of this command you can try is: shutdown /s /t 0

As wardog said, testing the PC's case power button and connections is a good idea. With Windows running, you should be able to press and hold down the power button on the case to shutdown the PC. It will take several seconds to work, so hold down the button until the PC is off.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          If your problem was simply a BIOS issue, you and everyone else with your board and BIOS version would have posted in this forum about it. We would be aware of the problem and know the fix. But all of that is not the case.

Try starting a cmd window, with administrator privileges, and type in and run this command: shutdown /p

That should immediately shutdown the PC. Another version of this command you can try is: shutdown /s /t 0

As wardog said, testing the PC's case power button and connections is a good idea. With Windows running, you should be able to press and hold down the power button on the case to shutdown the PC. It will take several seconds to work, so hold down the button until the PC is off.
          Thanks guys for replying, yes its a brand new case and the power button around around 4 secs shuts the whole machine down, the cmd options shut the OS down but not the PC, yes I do have the Sandy Bridge CPU, guys is there anything else, I pray I am not stuck with this issue as I have always been able to hard shutdown my PC :(

And thanks to you guys for helping me thus far :)

Comment

I think this is an issue with ASRock boards...I have had to RMA 4 of them, with the last two restarting but no power to the monitor, mouse or keyboard...MBs should not have to be replaced every three months...never had any MB issues ever except for ASRock...all my other ones still worked when I upgraded the computer...
            MB: ASRock Z75 Pro 3
            CPU: Intel i7 2600k @3.8Ghz
            Mem: 16GB(4GBx4) GSkill Ripjawz DDR3 1600
            Video: Sapphire Radeon 6850HD
            PSU: OCZ Mod X Stream-Pro 700W
            Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
            DVD: ASUS 16x DVD-R/RW
            Audio: M-Audiophile 2496
            HDD: Samsung model HD103SJ
            Seagate 1TB SATA drive(can't see model #)

Comment

Originally posted by matter2003 View Post
              I think this is an issue with ASRock boards...I have had to RMA 4 of them, with the last two restarting but no power to the monitor, mouse or keyboard...MBs should not have to be replaced every three months...never had any MB issues ever except for ASRock...all my other ones still worked when I upgraded the computer...
              Hmmmm ok, I hope there maybe something else that hasnt been tried, is it possible for myself to DYI a modified bios or something??

Comment

Hmmmm ok, I hope there maybe something else that hasnt been tried, is it possible for myself to DYI a modified bios or something??
                Try this to make a bootable USB Bios drive..unfortunately it doesn't work for me...keyboard, mouse and monitor still stay dark

MS-DOS Bootable Flash Drive - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums
                Last edited by matter2003; 06-08-2014, 07:10 PM.
                MB: ASRock Z75 Pro 3
                CPU: Intel i7 2600k @3.8Ghz
                Mem: 16GB(4GBx4) GSkill Ripjawz DDR3 1600
                Video: Sapphire Radeon 6850HD
                PSU: OCZ Mod X Stream-Pro 700W
                Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
                DVD: ASUS 16x DVD-R/RW
                Audio: M-Audiophile 2496
                HDD: Samsung model HD103SJ
                Seagate 1TB SATA drive(can't see model #)

Comment

Do you have another "compatible/proper' PSU to test with. I've seen this be PSU related too.
                  #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                  ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by vuldin View Post
                    Please post all your component details.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                      Ok whats the easiest program for this?

Comment

Hey inspectagame, sorry for the late response. So you weren't able to boot into a liveCD archlinux environment? It sounds like that is the case if you weren't able to run the shutdown command. Here are some questions:

What was the prompt you mentioned it getting to? Did you see the archlinux splash screen with a list of options to choose from? If you did, then not doing anything (or also selecting enter) would automatically boot you into the liveCD environment.

You mentioned that your BIOS was then changed after booting from the liveCD? One important and helpful aspect of a liveCD environment is that it makes no changes to your system (BIOS, hard drive, or anything else). If there were changes to your BIOS then it would had to have been from something else.

The whole reason for booting from the liveCD was to test whether you could shutdown successfully with this hardware using completely different software (on the liveCD). If you found other weird things going on (random changes to the BIOS for instance) while trying to do this test, then there may be underlying hardware issues. Hopefully though you can test out hardware functionality using some other software, and the easiest way I can think of to do this is via a liveCD environment using the steps outlined above.

Comment

Originally posted by vuldin View Post
                          Hey inspectagame, sorry for the late response. So you weren't able to boot into a liveCD archlinux environment? It sounds like that is the case if you weren't able to run the shutdown command. Here are some questions:

What was the prompt you mentioned it getting to? Did you see the archlinux splash screen with a list of options to choose from? If you did, then not doing anything (or also selecting enter) would automatically boot you into the liveCD environment.

You mentioned that your BIOS was then changed after booting from the liveCD? One important and helpful aspect of a liveCD environment is that it makes no changes to your system (BIOS, hard drive, or anything else). If there were changes to your BIOS then it would had to have been from something else.

The whole reason for booting from the liveCD was to test whether you could shutdown successfully with this hardware using completely different software (on the liveCD). If you found other weird things going on (random changes to the BIOS for instance) while trying to do this test, then there may be underlying hardware issues. Hopefully though you can test out hardware functionality using some other software, and the easiest way I can think of to do this is via a liveCD environment using the steps outlined above.
                          Ok so I was not able to boot into that linux environment, it went through the normal startup etc but it did say some error etc but it was in dos and very small and lasted for like a second so I could never make note as to what it is, I could not boot into LiveCD so I had planned in any rate to change the bios to a newer version so it did make no difference in terms of being able to shutdown, so yes the live cd boot didn't work for me and of course looked for different alternatives, yeah I would like to use it but I followed it all to a tea but there was the error and I could not sit on that and try and diagnose that issue but rather try and get some other advice that may work, thanks any way mate I do greatly appreciate your help.

Comment

Hi guys,

Ok I have an issue with my AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 motherboard, I was using Bios 2.04 and she was pretty unstable and decided to update my bios, so I updated to 2.20 and everything was a lot better except when I hit shutdown in Win7 the OS shuts down but the PC does not, fans etc still running in the Computer Itself, so I updated to 2.30 and then to 2.31A, all the same, I have tried many different things, reset CMOS, disabled startup items, you name it I have scoured all the different forums etc to find a fix for this, please please has anyone got any suggestions for me at all?

Many many thanks in advance
                            Still no list of hardware on that PC, but is seems you have a Sandy Bridge CPU, and updated the BIOS to the Ivy Bridge compatible version.

If you ran those Windows shutdown commands, and the PC did not shut off, then it is not a Windows issue.

Your problem began when you changed to an Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS, 2.20 contains at least most of the updates for Ivy Bridge CPUs. You seem to have tried skipping version 2.10, but doing that may be worse than an incorrectly done 2.10 update. 2.10 updates the IME firmware, that is part of the BIOS file. It is not known if BIOS versions beyond 2.10 update the IME firmware, my guess is they don't.

Did you update the Intel IME software, as required when using the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS version?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                              Still no list of hardware on that PC, but is seems you have a Sandy Bridge CPU, and updated the BIOS to the Ivy Bridge compatible version.

If you ran those Windows shutdown commands, and the PC did not shut off, then it is not a Windows issue.

Your problem began when you changed to an Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS, 2.20 contains at least most of the updates for Ivy Bridge CPUs. You seem to have tried skipping version 2.10, but doing that may be worse than an incorrectly done 2.10 update. 2.10 updates the IME firmware, that is part of the BIOS file. It is not known if BIOS versions beyond 2.10 update the IME firmware, my guess is they don't.

Did you update the Intel IME software, as required when using the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS version?
                              Hi Parsec, yes I was after the best way to gather system info and just asked if someone recommended a program to show the relevant system info I would need, so I was waiting for a reply, yes ran the commands and they did not work, and yes it happened after the bios update, I skipped that 2.10 because it was not available on that particular set of download links for my mobo and yes the IME has been updated whereby you need to keep your stick in the machine upon reboot etc.

So yeah still at the same point unfortunately :(

Comment

matter2003: I don't think the issues you have had are related to what inspectagame is dealing with. You keep saying motherboards shouldn't have to be replaced every three months and I agree completely, in fact that's what leads me to believe that your issue relates to something else entirely (as mentioned in your thread).

inspectagame: There is no application that will give the detailed specs people have asked for. The way to go about this is to look at the components themselves in your computer and copy down the part numbers. If you still have the boxes and/or manuals checking those out may be the easiest route to take.

Comment

Working...
                                X