C2750D4I - P1.80 - No POST / video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C2750D4I - P1.80 - No POST / video

I'm down to booting this board with nothing but the PSU and VGA connected. It is sitting on my workbench outside of the case to eliminate possible short issues.

I've tried two different PDUs, one of which is brand new and 80+ Gold Certified. Neither PSU shows different results. The board turns on, two LEDs light up (and one starts blinking slowly after about 30 seconds) but will not initialize the display. When I've tried hooking up the IPMI, I can login to it via the browser without any problem; everything (including the remote console) functions... but the remote console doesn't show anything but a black screen, indicating that the machine is in sleep mode. When I power cycle it through IPMI and watch the remote console, nothing happens.

I've tried 3 different DDR3 ECC sticks in DDR3-A1, and also with no RAM at all just to see if it will post (it should), but it doesn't. I've tried the monitor on known working machines and it works fine. I've also tried it in all configurations with and without a USB keyboard attached.

When I had it installed and attached to case fans, they all spun up. When the monitor is connected to the VGA port, it exits its own test mode and goes straight to sleep, as monitors do when they're connected to ports that are on but out-of-mode. There is nothing in the system logs in IPMI to indicate what might be going wrong.

Thoughts?

Re: C2750D4I - P1.80 - No POST / video

C2750D4I does take a little more time to POST. Depending on the total amount of and the type of RAM installed, in some cases it could take up to as many as 45-50 seconds to POST. Please give us the specs of your RAM.
    Last edited by ASRockRack TSD - Bill; 03-10-2014, 03:05 PM.

Comment

The board comes with the Avoton C2750 Octa-Core processor hardwired. I've tried to boot it with several sticks of ECC RAM, one at a time, in DDR3-A1:

• HYNIX 4GB - HMT351R7AFR4C
      • SAMSUNG 4GB - M393B5170FH0-CH905
      • SAMSUNG 8GB - M393B1K70CH0-CH905

I've left it running for >15 minutes. The IMPI is accessible as stated, and LED BMC_LED1 blinks every second, which my research indicates to be "sleep mode."

The only other connected devices (until I can access the UEFI) are the power supply, monitor, and keyboard.

Comment

You may want to try out some unbuffered memory for this C2750D4I server board. I checked all 3 of your memory products currently in use, they all are Registered. Please kindly refer to our Memory QVL.

Click image for larger version

Name:	c2750ramqvl.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	754189

Comment

I will purchase new memory if necessary, but before I do, I want to be certain that the board itself is not an issue: shouldn't it display anything at all, even with NO memory installed, during POST? With registered memory, shouldn't I get display output indicating there's a problem?

If you're absolutely certain it's a memory issue based on my description, I'll make a purchase as soon as possible.

I've read during my research that the sticks listed are difficult to obtain in the US. What guidelines, other than verified on your list, should I be looking at if I can't obtain verified modules?

Thanks for looking into this.

Comment

Originally posted by la2ar0 View Post
            I will purchase new memory if necessary, but before I do, I want to be certain that the board itself is not an issue: shouldn't it display anything at all, even with NO memory installed, during POST? With registered memory, shouldn't I get display output indicating there's a problem?

If you're absolutely certain it's a memory issue based on my description, I'll make a purchase as soon as possible.

I've read during my research that the sticks listed are difficult to obtain in the US. What guidelines, other than verified on your list, should I be looking at if I can't obtain verified modules?

Thanks for looking into this.
            This board will not display anything if there is no memory installed. To confirm this, I just set up one myself to get a POST with a 8GB (or 4GB) Adata 1600 ECC UDIMM in slot A1, and then received no POST without memory installed even after 2 minutes of waiting. However, both circumstances I have no problem logging in through IPMI.

Since the CPU is embedded in this board, the only component you may swap to rule out problem is memory. But of course, nothing is certain until you really landed upon one proven compatible memory and the board get POSTed.
            Last edited by ASRockRack TSD - Bill; 03-10-2014, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks again for sticking with me on this.

Due to the lack of availability of verified / supported ECC 8GB modules in the USA, I purchased 2x Crucial 8GB DDR3L 1600 (1.35v) CL11 Unbuffered ECC (CT102472BD160B) - I have a friend using 4x of those sticks in this same board working perfectly. They will arrive on Wednesday. Having no other way to test until they arrive, I'll reply to this thread if the board will POST with those.

Comment

Good luck. And yes, please post the result here. Thank you!

Comment

I can confirm that this board POSTs (slowly as we know) and will install / run Ubuntu Server 12.04.4 LTS with zero issues at all.

If you can add these sticks to your approved list (or need to import and test them), that would be a major boon to US consumers - you don't have any supported ECC sticks at this capacity listed that can be easily had in the US. I also ran memtest86+ on two sticks in dual channel mode, and they passed with flying colors.

Ubuntu 12.04.4 also has no issues at all with all the SATA controllers and I have live mounts on them working flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by la2ar0 View Post
                    I can confirm that this board POSTs (slowly as we know) and will install / run Ubuntu Server 12.04.4 LTS with zero issues at all.

If you can add these sticks to your approved list (or need to import and test them), that would be a major boon to US consumers - you don't have any supported ECC sticks at this capacity listed that can be easily had in the US. I also ran memtest86+ on two sticks in dual channel mode, and they passed with flying colors.

Ubuntu 12.04.4 also has no issues at all with all the SATA controllers and I have live mounts on them working flawlessly.
                    Thank you for the update! You used "2x Crucial 8GB DDR3L 1600 (1.35v) CL11 Unbuffered ECC (CT102472BD160B)" to get your board to POST, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
                      Thank you for the update! You used "2x Crucial 8GB DDR3L 1600 (1.35v) CL11 Unbuffered ECC (CT102472BD160B)" to get your board to POST, right?
                      Yes - and I have a peer who is using 4x of the same exact module for a total of 32GB and it POSTs / tests flawlessly. I'm planning on buying 2 more sticks to replicate this setup.

Comment

Before I return my memory and purchase a new set, I'd like to confirm if my KVR16R11D4/16 memory will work on this mobo.

Otherwise I'll have to pick up the CT102472BD160B since my can't get POST or Video off this mobo either.

I'd also like to know if there is any 64gb kits that I can pick up for this mobo.
                        Last edited by kickjumper; 07-08-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kickjumper View Post
                          Before I return my memory and purchase a new set, I'd like to confirm if my KVR16R11D4/16 memory will work on this mobo.

Otherwise I'll have to pick up the CT102472BD160B since my can't get POST or Video off this mobo either.

I'd also like to know if there is any 64gb kits that I can pick up for this mobo.

Please do not order the memory in your question. It's a Registered memory. The C2750D4I will only work with Unbuffered or called UDIMM, ECC or non-ECC. You may also reference to Kingston's own QVL Memory Search | Kingston . For 16GB UDIMM module, so far only Memphis is validated ASRock Rack > C2750D4I . If you have trouble locating these Memphis RAM, please let me know. However, they are really not cheap. [email protected]

Comment

Just drop by, after not visiting this site for a while, to say this board is rock solid for almost 2 yrs now. I am running it with SmartOS, 32GB, all 12 SATA ports occupied (2 mirrored SSD's and 2x Raidz1). Run into initial problems but Bill took care of it!

Comment

Working...
                            X