Blow your Mind - FM2A88X Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blow your Mind - FM2A88X Board

OK.......under the BBS Priorities the Samsung DOES show up........When it is put at #1, the computer will not boot

z
    Win7 x64
    ASRock FM2A88X Ext6+, Bios v. 1.80
    AMD A10 5700 Quad Core
    GSkill Memory: 8G, 2x4G
    Samsung 32G SSD as Boot Drive
    Power: LEPA G600-MB:

Comment

Config:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Config.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	754030
      Win7 x64
      AMD A10 5700 Quad Core

Comment

Priority

Name:	Prioritys.jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	754031
        Win7 x64
        AMD A10 5700 Quad Core

Comment

Boots OK with ST316 as FIRST HD.......................If I put the SAMSUNG which IS the boot drive as #2..........it will look at the ST316 drive I guess and not find a BOOTMGR

Name:	Boot.jpg
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	754032
          Win7 x64
          AMD A10 5700 Quad Core

Comment

Can we agree there is a problem with BIOS.............or shall we conclude that ASRock BIOS is perfect and pass the buck to that it must be some kind of weird HARDWARE problem..............iow, should I RMA the MoBo?????.............or can we put the blame on Microsoft Win7 by any chance?????........or maybe put the blame on some kind of Gremlins that have invaded the box?

z
            Win7 x64
            AMD A10 5700 Quad Core

Comment

Also........there is NO way to put the Samsung as #3 on the boot list either...........just can't be done

And why is there this stupid 'priorities' crap anyway???????

Why not just list the drives on the Boot options list like any normal BIOS has done since Fred and Barney built the first computer?

And FWIW.......this is the most EFFed up Boot disk system I have ever seen.........what happened.......did the ASRock FORGET the Primary Directive???

i.e. KISS

Keep It SIMPLE STUPID

z
              Last edited by Zardiw; 12-02-2013, 09:57 AM.
              Win7 x64
              AMD A10 5700 Quad Core

Comment

Back to your first post, where the Samsung SSD will not boot unless the "USB disk" is connected. Was the USB disk connected when you installed Windows on the SSD? Or any other HDDs? If so, it's quite possible the MBR is on another disk, Windows installation has a nasty habit of doing that. First rule of Windows installation, only have the target OS drive connected and powered up during the installation.

But then, you are cloning with Acronis, is that what's on the SSD?

How do you know a MBR is on the SSD, as you said earlier?

Given all the clones, and you mentioned image backups, who knows what state the Windows on the Samsung is like.

Sorry, but it's all to confusing for us to figure out, and we don't know exactly what has happened along the way. IMO, the BIOS boot options are not the problem.

Do you have a Windows disk or installation media of some kind? If so, remove power from all HDD drives except the Samsung, and try to run a repair on it from the Windows disk.

Or, do the clone operation over again. How may generations of clones do you have? As in a clone of a clone, etc. Those can be very weird.

Also, why are you using the BIOS option, "SATA IDE Combined Mode"?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  Back to your first post, where the Samsung SSD will not boot unless the "USB disk" is connected. Was the USB disk connected when you installed Windows on the SSD? Or any other HDDs? If so, it's quite possible the MBR is on another disk, Windows installation has a nasty habit of doing that. First rule of Windows installation, only have the target OS drive connected and powered up during the installation.

But then, you are cloning with Acronis, is that what's on the SSD?

How do you know a MBR is on the SSD, as you said earlier?

Given all the clones, and you mentioned image backups, who knows what state the Windows on the Samsung is like.

Sorry, but it's all to confusing for us to figure out, and we don't know exactly what has happened along the way. IMO, the BIOS boot options are not the problem.

Do you have a Windows disk or installation media of some kind? If so, remove power from all HDD drives except the Samsung, and try to run a repair on it from the Windows disk.

Or, do the clone operation over again. How may generations of clones do you have? As in a clone of a clone, etc. Those can be very weird.

Also, why are you using the BIOS option, "SATA IDE Combined Mode"?

I have installed Win7 quite a number of times because I THOUGHT Acronis was responsible for the BootMgr being missing.

I took me quite some time to realize that the BIOS is trying to boot to the wrong drive.

What I first did was install Win 7.

I only had ONE drive connected.

Then I took a C: image backup with Acronis, hooked up some other drives......and did a test restore of the C: Image

When I rebooted I got this BOOTMGR missing msg.....so I thought it was something wrong with Acronis restore/whatever.

SO.

I did a CLEAN install with only the SSD connected.

After the first reboot, Windows started fine.

But after I hooked up other drives........the BIOS changed......and then would NOT boot to the SSD drive, UNLESS I put one of the other SATA drives......in this case SG316 as the number 2 choice after the CD/DVD.

So it's a pretty clean system at present..........and the problem is with the BIOS not keeping the drives straight.

And getting back to the Windows not booting with the USB not connected......well NOW I know it's cause the BIOS THOUGHT the BOOTMGR was on the USB.....but it really wasn't.

And SATA Combined IDE mode is a default option of the BIOS......

But HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE>

WHY does the BIOS point to ANOTHER DRIVE when the REAL BOOT drive is listed as the Second option after the CD?????

And WHY does it BOOT FINE when the SG516 is listed as the Second option?????

There is nothing confusing about this.........that's a cold hard Fact.

Also, Tell me why the bood drives CHANGE, just cause new drives get hooked to the MoBo?????

And believe me.....there is NOTHING related to Win7 on that SG316 SATA drive......all the Win7 stuff, including the Boot folder, BOOTMGR, etc etc is on the SSD.....I've checked......and it was the only drive during the install.........and fwiw........it's all on ONE partition.....there is no 100MB partition on that drive....I managed to figure out how to do that.......

And finally, the reason you think it's confusing is cause there's a BUG in the BIOS.........simple.......lol

z
                  Last edited by Zardiw; 12-04-2013, 09:32 AM.
                  Win7 x64
                  AMD A10 5700 Quad Core

Comment

Working...
                  X