• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z87M Extreme4 + KHX16C10B1K2/16X, not working on XMP profile

Hi,

Setup:

mb Asrock Z87m Extreme4
    cpu I7-4770K, BX80646I74770K
    memory KHX16C10B1K2/16X (kit of 2pcs 8GB)
    psu CTG-550C

MB came with bios 1.60 (flashed to 1.60C *after* the release bios would not post at XMP)

I am just starting to put computer together and I always assemble MB+CPU+MEMORY+PSU only and start with memtest. Board posts with default settings (DDDR1333) but won't post with XPM profile.

I have two different kits. Same problem. Should be compatible (according to supported list).

This MB won't post even with only one dimm installed at XMP profile. I have tried slots A1 & A2 (and started with recommended A2 + B2 configuration).

I did try different PSU
    I did try with DGPU.

I did use this type of memory (not these individual dimms, but this part no.) in the summer with Asrock Z87M PRO4 boards with success.

Do you have any suggestions?

Markku

Re: Asrock Z87M Extreme4 + KHX16C10B1K2/16X, not working on XMP profile

How many XMP profiles does their SPD chips show?

I've never much cared for Beta BIOS's. I understand why you flashed to it but would suggest going back to 1.60, latest official release for your board.

Dram Voltage being assigned in XMP profile match what's being supplied?

Didn't forget the 8pin EPS power connection?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Check that the stickers on all your ram that any don't read KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G .

Kingston made two different Blu kits of this, one has XMP profiles on the SPD chip(pn you list). The one I listed above do not support XMP Profiles.

Regardless, it appears they are both 10-10-10-27 1.5v @ 1600, but I can determine if they're CL1 or CL2 for 2 sticks installed.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

They are X versions. I use X versions if I can get them.Easier to use predefined profiles. It has only one profile (10-10-10-27 1.5V @ 1600). I did try dram voltage 1.65V also as many Kingston KHX memories have that if using 1600 or above. I may try the 1.60 bios again. I do not think it will work as it did not work the first few tries. With XMP it should be "out of the box" experience if you know enough to load XMP profile.

It seems I need to test a another MB (I have several of the same). I'll get back with the results.

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        Check that the stickers on all your ram that any don't read KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G .

Kingston made two different Blu kits of this, one has XMP profiles on the SPD chip(pn you list). The one I listed above do not support XMP Profiles.

Regardless, it appears they are both 10-10-10-27 1.5v @ 1600, but I can determine if they're CL1 or CL2 for 2 sticks installed.

Comment

Seems other users are having issues when using the XMP profiles of this memory, and on a different board too:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...0b1k2-16x.html

When you enable XMP, you can then check what the memory settings will become in the DRAM configuration screen, correct? There are many more memory parameters that can be part of an XMP profile, not just the four main timings and the CR.

I suggest after enabling XMP, go into DRAM Configuration in the BIOS, and scroll down to compare the current and XMP values for the more obscure options. If the XMP data value for an option is significantly less than the default SPD data, that setting might be causing the problem. Try setting anything like that to a value greater than the default SPD data value.

I'm guessing there might be some bad XMP data in some of these DIMMs, and you and the person that started the other thread have them.

Comment

I just confirmed it. Problem lies wtih Asrock Z87M Extreme4 and bios 1.60 and 1.60C (which is beta). I did not try older versions.

I put together a new combo;

Asrock Z87M Extreme4 (different board)
            I5-4670K, 3.4GHZ BX80646I74770K
            Same memory etc.
            Exactly same symptoms.

Luckily I happen to have a another new machine waiting for delivery (we build OEM computers if you are wondering).
            This has Asrock Z87M Pro4 with bios P2.0
            Same memory
            XMP Profile works !

So where should I contact Asrock support about this? I really would like to get a "direct source" to somebody who believes we have a problem and believes that we have identified the problem.

As I said I have been building computers (a few hundred per year) from 1988 and sometimes it is quite frustrating to start with "Sir, do you have power cord connected?" line of questions.

BR,

Markku

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            Seems other users are having issues when using the XMP profiles of this memory, and on a different board too:

When you enable XMP, you can then check what the memory settings will become in the DRAM configuration screen, correct? There are many more memory parameters that can be part of an XMP profile, not just the four main timings and the CR.

I suggest after enabling XMP, go into DRAM Configuration in the BIOS, and scroll down to compare the current and XMP values for the more obscure options. If the XMP data value for an option is significantly less than the default SPD data, that setting might be causing the problem. Try setting anything like that to a value greater than the default SPD data value.

I'm guessing there might be some bad XMP data in some of these DIMMs, and you and the person that started the other thread have them.

Comment

Glad you found it. The BIOS version 1.50 is available for the Z87M Ex 4 board, if that is worth a try.

Your comment about first level support is funny, but unfortunately a reality when dealing with a surprising amount of the public. That is, those are the issues they deal with to much of the time.

You could try the "ASRock UEFI Tech Service", which is a BIOS feature, and a feature in A-Tuning.

ASRock's official support form is here: ASRock > Support Request Form

This page also has their email support address: ASRock > Support > Repair / RMA

The only phone numbers I can find are for the sales side of the business. Good luck with this, let us know how it goes.

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I must thank Asrock support for extremely quick reply with new bios (L1.61).

I contacted Asrock support via webform from their site. After about 12 hours they replied with L1.61 bios attached and it fixed the problem.

GOOD WORK ASROCK!

Markku

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                Glad you found it. The BIOS version 1.50 is available for the Z87M Ex 4 board, if that is worth a try.

Your comment about first level support is funny, but unfortunately a reality when dealing with a surprising amount of the public. That is, those are the issues they deal with to much of the time.

You could try the "ASRock UEFI Tech Service", which is a BIOS feature, and a feature in A-Tuning.

ASRock's official support form is here: ASRock > Support Request Form

This page also has their email support address: ASRock > Support > Repair / RMA

The only phone numbers I can find are for the sales side of the business. Good luck with this, let us know how it goes.

Comment

Just a followup on this.

I had the same problem with Asrock Z87 Extreme4 board.

I contacted Asrock support and they replied with L2.32 bios and problem was solved!

So once again thanks for the ASROCK SUPPORT and of course parsec !!

BR,

Markku

Originally posted by mmaenpaa View Post
                  PROBLEM SOLVED!

I must thank Asrock support for extremely quick reply with new bios (L1.61).

I contacted Asrock support via webform from their site. After about 12 hours they replied with L1.61 bios attached and it fixed the problem.

GOOD WORK ASROCK!

Markku

Comment

Working...
                  X