Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASMedia SATA_3 port causes IRST to stop responding - Solved

Originally posted by Shiari View Post
    I don't know about 12.5 (I've got 12.6 installed as that was the version available at the time -- it's not given me problems so I haven't switched to another version) but my SSD supports TRIM just fine according to that trim test program. One SSD non-raid, 4 harddrives with RAID 1+0 and RAID 0 partitions.
    Good, and 12.5 TRIM is fine, given trimcheck, which is the only program I've ever seen that can test TRIM, short of examining a SSD's contents with a hex editing tool. TRIM for standard, single SSDs is much simpler to implement, and if a SATA driver could not deal with standard TRIM today (some older drivers could not), that would really be a bug.

But I can say that trimcheck found TRIM for SSDs in RAID 0 did not work, IRST 12.5, just as some have said. That RAID 0 volume is (was) my Windows 8 OS drive on my ASR Z87 board. Not very old, about a month, mostly free space and performed well.

I used 12.6 when I first built my Haswell PC, with a RAID 0 volume of SSDs. After three corruptions and reinstalls of Windows, I gave up on 12.6 and tried 12.5. Not one glitch since then with 12.5. That was the first time I've ever had trouble with a RAID volume of SSDs, I have one as an OS volume that is over a year old, no TRIM ever, still works fine. Intel no longer provides IRST 12.6 on their download pages, not for their own mother boards, or as a generic IRST driver.

IRST 11.5 also had problems with RAID volumes, and became no longer available. That is why I'm not a fan of the IRST drivers you can find at StationDrivers, that somehow gets beta versions of IRST. Some people jump all over them as soon as they are available, since apparently new is always better and improved. But as we have seen, new is not always better and improved. Zuhl and others prefer IRST 11.2 for it's performance. TRIM in RAID 0 that has worked in the past, doesn't with at least some of the IRST 12 drivers. Given that officially released IRST drivers have issues, what are the chances the beta versions are free from issues?

Actually, I'm using 12.6 with single SSDs as the OS drive, and it works fine, very fast at booting, which others have noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuhl3156 View Post
      If I changed the Startup value in my Registry from "0" to "3" for iastorF
      Glad you didn't try that as it would most likely blue screen.

Unlike iastorV, iastorF remains operational in the storage stack. Here's an >old post< with very similar process JFYI.

Comment

Glad you didn't try that as it would most likely blue screen.

Unlike iastorV, iastorF remains operational in the storage stack. Here's an >old post< with very similar process JFYI.
        OK, thanks. I read the linked post and uninstalled the ghosted devices. I rebooted and they are gone and so is iastorF. The filters are all gone now and everything is good.

EDIT: More good news! AS-SSD now runs without the access error. Yahoooooo!!! Thanks much!
        Last edited by Zuhl3156; 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Hello,

I'm afraid that the issue has not been solved yet.

At least for some users of Windows 7 and X79 Extremes, it is left unsolved.

I've been using IRST v11.7 and Sandy Bridge-E, i7 3930k on X79 Extreme6. But when some additional HDDs are connected to ASMedia SATA ports because Intel SATA ports are all in use, IRST service cannot start to work. If "ASMedia SATA Mode" is set to "Disabled" in BIOS, then IRST works properly.

I've tried reinstalling IRST 11.7 or 11.6 and ASMedia SATA Controller 1.2.8.0, and updating the BIOS from 2.20 to 2.40 and Intel Management Engine Driver from 8.1.10.1286 to 8.1.40.1416, but all of them ended in vain. I dared to install IRST 12.7, but BSOD occurred and Windows 7 would never start.

I wonder if the latest ASMedia 106x SATA Host Controller Driver 1.4.1.0 will solve this problem since ASRock doesn't put it on the download list.

Thus I cannot help but use "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller" for now.

Anyway, I've made inquiries about the matter to both Intel and ASRock, but...
          I wish that Intel would improve IRST 11.7.

Comment

I used this method from 'ucode' and installed the 11.2 IRST. The Asmedia controllers worked again and my drives actually performed better. This is the only solution I have ever encountered for Windows 7 users.

Comment

Hello Zuhl3156,
              Thanks for your advice.

I'm afraid that since it is IRST 11.6 that Intel first let support chipset X79 in place of IRSTe, probably IRST 11.2 cannot work well in X79 Extreme6. ASRock is now listing 11.7 as far as IRST goes. GIGABYTE announces X79 motherboards require IRST 11.6 or later. Concerning LGA 2011 and Sandy Bridge-E, we have a selectable range limited.

I have no courage to be prepared for a crash and recovery again and to try to install IRST 11.2. Please never say, "Chickenheart".

Comment

Working...
              X