X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Z87 Extreme 4 issues

Originally posted by SLK View Post
    Hi all,

I have been fighting this board tooth and nail with getting the issues worked out. I have 3 problems that have been bothering me on this board.

The bios freezes at times and about 10-15 seconds later I get an alternating block pattern on top of the screen. Someone from AT forums have experienced this issue too. I am using Bios version 1.50

AnandTech Forums - View Single Post - Are you buying Haswell?

Dynamic Storage accelerator no longer shows up in the RST utility as an option. It is enabled in the bios.

The bios lists the Vcore as 1.792v

Is there any ETA on when these fixes will be available?

My Specs

i7-4770k
    Asrock Z87 Extreme 4
    16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz -
    MSI GTX 780 3gb
    250gb Samsung 840
    240gb OCZ Vertex Plus R2
    1.5tb Seagate Green

Thanks in advance!

Hi SLK, if I remove my 680 and use the integrated GPU then UEFI doesn't freeze, or if the card is installed on PCIE slot 3 it's okay as well, except the PCIE slot 2, you might want to have a try
    Last edited by sunlite; 06-11-2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_m View Post
      Hi,
      I too am getting the freezing in UEFI Setup on my Extreme4. It's the same thing that you described - go into UEFI Setup, completely locks up after about 10 seconds with the lines on the screen. Hit the reset button and go back into UEFI Setup and everything is fine. IThe settings were the default since I just powered the computer on for the first time. I emailed Asrock and they said they were unable to reproduce the problem and told me to check my overclocking settings (even though I explained that I had none). I started out with BIOS 1.27? and the problem persists after upgrading to 1.50.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the issue.
      Hi mike_m, do you have a standalone video card installed? If I remove my GTX680 then UEFI doesn't freeze, if I put it back to PCIE Slot 2 then UEFI freeze again.
      If I install the video card in PCIE Slot 3 it seems to be okay.
      I guess you might want to check it on your side

Comment

Just wanted to weigh in and say I have the exact same problem -- UEFI freezes after ten seconds or so with my new z87 Extreme 4. I see the same pattern at top when it freezes, which then requires a restart.

I have a discrete graphics card installed. Only SSD at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg4388 View Post
          Just wanted to weigh in and say I have the exact same problem -- UEFI freezes after ten seconds or so with my new z87 Extreme 4. I see the same pattern at top when it freezes, which then requires a restart.

I have a discrete graphics card installed. Only SSD at the moment.
          Hi Greg, which PCIE slot are you using for the video card?

Comment

Originally posted by sunlite View Post
            Hi Greg, which PCIE slot are you using for the video card?
            I'm in 2; guess I'll try another slot and see what happens
            Last edited by Greg4388; 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg4388 View Post
              I'm in 2
              try slot 4 instead

Comment

Thinking further on the issue of lockups, I did disable anything in UEFI which I don't need, plus I muted the sound (I believe all my lockups in UEFI were during the "swoosh" sound (as were the lockups I've had in Windows while playing the windows startup sound - but that apparently was a driver issue).

Using the iGPU instead of a discrete GPU and otherwise stripping the system's hardware as bare as possible made no difference for me with the UEFI lockups.

I haven't noticed "lackluster" Purity sound on my Extreme 6, absolutely sounds fine for me and I'm pretty sure it's better than my old system. Not tried any microphone yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by sunlite View Post
                  try slot 4 instead

Slot 4 runs off the PCH, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to keep the card in that slot since it will hinder your graphics performance.

There is clearly something bios related causing this issue. I hope Asrock has a bios update for this issue soon.

Comment

I'm a little flustered at this point. I've tried multiple ways of installing the LAN drivers and it just won't work whatsoever with windows 8 for some reason. Is anyone else having this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiari View Post
                      Thinking further on the issue of lockups, I did disable anything in UEFI which I don't need, plus I muted the sound (I believe all my lockups in UEFI were during the "swoosh" sound (as were the lockups I've had in Windows while playing the windows startup sound - but that apparently was a driver issue).

Using the iGPU instead of a discrete GPU and otherwise stripping the system's hardware as bare as possible made no difference for me with the UEFI lockups.

I haven't noticed "lackluster" Purity sound on my Extreme 6, absolutely sounds fine for me and I'm pretty sure it's better than my old system. Not tried any microphone yet though.
                      Hi All,
                      Registered to reply to this thread as another Extreme4 user with the same lockup issues.

Shiari, I noticed that on the lockups the "swoosh" sound you referred to was muffled or cut short. The only times I was able to use bios without the freeze, the sound at the bios launch was clear and played as I believe it should play normally. I'm not at home right now but I'm going to give disabling any and all sounds a try and will give some feedback when I can.

I got my board from Microcenter and am thinking about just returning for the Gigabyte UD4H as I've never had an Asrock board and don't know what to expect in terms of this issue being corrected by them anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ko300zx View Post
                        Hi All,
                        Registered to reply to this thread as another Extreme4 user with the same lockup issues.

Shiari, I noticed that on the lockups the "swoosh" sound you referred to was muffled or cut short. The only times I was able to use bios without the freeze, the sound at the bios launch was clear and played as I believe it should play normally. I'm not at home right now but I'm going to give disabling any and all sounds a try and will give some feedback when I can.

I got my board from Microcenter and am thinking about just returning for the Gigabyte UD4H as I've never had an Asrock board and don't know what to expect in terms of this issue being corrected by them anytime soon.

Since the purity sound sounds like garbage I put my Xonar DG back in. I will report if I have any bios freezes with this option. There is an option to mute the sound in the bios if the freezing is related to it.

Comment

No more freezing issues so far with a dedicated sound card.

Comment

Yeah the sound in the bios is what does seem to be causing the lockups there. Just disabling the sound there (mute button at the bottom) seems to do the trick. And the sound (and the starry background) is cheesy anyway, so no loss. Now all we need is a button to disable that background. :)

Comment

So the onboard sound does not work? You have to buy a sound card? I hope I read this wrong.
                              Windows 7 Professional
                              (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
                              CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
                              ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
                              Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
                              Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
                              High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
                              SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
                              3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
                              Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
                              1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
                              1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

Originally posted by ingeborgdot View Post
                                So the onboard sound does not work? You have to buy a sound card? I hope I read this wrong.
                                I've got the extreme 6 (not the 4, but they're largely similar), and for me it works fine. Just not in UEFI, the woosh sound playing as you enter UEFI seems to lock up the machine quite frequently.

Comment

Working...
                                X