Z77 Extreme4 - will not Cold Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Extreme4 - will not Cold Boot

This board is about 3 months old, and I have never had a problem until recently

It will run fine for days and/or Warm Boot/Reboot without a hiccup.

If I shut down, when I attempt to restart.. fan lights flash on for a second, everything gives a quick "whir"

and then NADA...

With the power still on.. a press or two of (only) the BIOS Reset button starts the machine right up

However, I now have to re-enable RAID, F10/reboot, change the Boot Drive back to the ARRAY,
    DEL/reboot, and everything is Hunky-Dory... err, um Copacetic.

On the outside chance that it may have gone bad... I replaced this 2032 bios' button battery
    and it started right up, But, sadly, that was only because BIOS had been reset to factory settings
    ...similar to pushing the BIOS clear button to achieve a BOOT.

A couple of days ago, while in the midst going through 'The Ritual' to get running, I flashed the to most current BIOS version
    (which was one point release newer than my resident version) ...still No Joy.

My current line of thought is that: my Power Supply might be bad.

Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem might be?

Thank You, in advance.

_Richie_K

Sys spec:

ASROCK Z77 Extreme4
    Intel I5-3570K
    8GB (2x4) Corsair Dominator 1866C9 (slots 2 & 4)
    2x 150GD WD VelociRaptor (RAID 0)
    2x EVGA GTX 580 Graphics (currently only 1 of 2 installed)
    Kingston 60GB SSD (Swap/Page file)
    Memorex CD/DVD/RW
    Coolmax ZPG-1200 watt PS
    Coolermaster HAF-series ATX Case
    and an EVGA heatsink as big as your head, with fans, of course,
    Running in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

ALL SETTINGS on all Devices are Nominal (Factory Spec)
    All Drivers are Current

Re: Z77 Extreme4 - will not Cold Boot

Hello and Welcome.

Odd. Only the BIOS Reset button rectifies this, and not the Power button too/also?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

ty for the reply...

Upon the 2nd (or subsequent) push of the power Button....nothing happens.

If I power-off completely (10-15 seconds) and then power on again (mouse lights up)

I get the same inital Flash-and-whir...but still no boot.

Comment

Does the reset button do anything for this? How about the PS's power switch? Are you using a UPS?

Could be a bad PS, but the consistency of your "fix" makes me wonder about that. But, switching PSs like PC use can be weird.

Some things you can try that come to mind:

I don't know who actually makes your PS (example, Corsair does not manufacture any of their PS's, there's a handful of companies that actually do) but Seasonic has a procedure for "resetting" their PS's by flipping the power switch between on and off about two times a second.

Wiring check time, starting with the case's power switch connections to the board. If you can easily ID those wires, just pull those two off and put them back a few times to clean the contacts. If you can see where those wires go back to the switch (Ha!, yeah right...) see if they look Ok.

Next would be all the power connections to the board, with everything shutdown and unplugged from AC. Disconnect and reconnect the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors. I have the same board and CPU, and it really does not need that much power so should not be stressing your PS. Video card is the major power hog as in most PCs.

If you can do this, you can start a PC or a PS by momentarily shorting the two pins on the header for the power switch with a small blade screwdriver. If that worked every time, that points to the switch. But given your false start thing, meaning it sort of starts and then dies, this may be a dead end.

Does that PS have multiple 12V rails? I'm wondering if by chance you have "too many" things connected to one rail, and the over current protection kicks in due to the start surge of power. Nope, just checked it on Newegg, single rail. Hmm, looks like the reviews of that unit are not to good. Did you ever monitor the PS voltages in Windows with anything? While not the most accurate, they will show you if the voltages change a lot or are low.

Comment

The reset button does nothing other than "click"

The PS button, after a false start, will light up the mouse and KB.

I'm not using a UPS, and my power supply is Labelled "Coolmax"...I'll do a search about the Reset/switch flipping thing.

I'm going to clean/re-seat all my power connectors,
          also remove, clean contacts and re-seat any components
          and maybe jiggle a few wires, here and there, in case of a break/bad solder point.

and Initially, after I had just installed it (the PS) I did, in fact, monitor the various power supply leads,
          and everything was (marginally +.05) on the plus side of the reported voltage outputs, and steady.

Maybe there's a dead ****roach in there somewhere.

I see a sticker on the corner of the Power Supply that stated something about "voiding the warranty if removed"

I also remember being 5 or 6 years old, looking at a broken steam Iron that my Mom was going to throw out
          On the heel of the Iron it Stated: No User Serviceable Parts Inside

My question at that time was: If a User of these things couldn't fix them..then who could?

... and Who Is John Galt?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieK View Post
            I see a sticker on the corner of the Power Supply that stated something about "voiding the warranty if removed"

I also remember being 5 or 6 years old, looking at a broken steam Iron that my Mom was going to throw out
            On the heel of the Iron it Stated: No User Serviceable Parts Inside

My question at that time was: If a User of these things couldn't fix them..then who could?

... and Who Is John Galt?
            Well, can you decide by visually examining a MOSFET or other transistor that is intermittent in its function, if it is good or bad? Or the same for a diode, rectifier bridge, or any electrical component that is not burnt or physically not normal?

We are PC Users, but can we design a mother board, diagnose a bad VRM, or know why a DIMM has errors when tested with memtest?

As PC builders we know a fair amount about PCs, and we also don't know squat.

Most people don't care who John Galt is, I sure don't, and neither did Atlas, apparently.

Comment

If it was of major importance, or a big dollar value item, I might care about manufacturers warranties.
              I don't. Parts are parts...stuff fails occasionally. And on Occasion within that occasion, sometimes there is a quick fix, or a decision to be made

If I can open something up and do a visual inspection, and I see something obviously out of the ordinany
              burnt board...dead bug in a coil.. whatever...
              It Usually means that I need to replace the piece, or remove the offending short, instead of looking elsewhere for fault

the point being... some things are our of our control ...some things we can fix

I'm 53 years old...I used to jump out of perfectly good aircraft and dismantle 'threatening devices' in my younger days
              A power supply doesn't scare me, and I don't understand where the Attitude comes from.

Do me a favor

Refrain from commenting, I was looking for help, not harassment

Comment

Try clearing the CMOS. If, when you said you hit the "reset" button, am I to assume you tried clearing/resetting the CMOS?
                Had this happen a few days ago, not on my current system, but on an older system, with Vista 64. What I had done to initiate the problem, was attempt to put the computer to "sleep", but instead must have hit "hibernate", or I don't know what. Anyways, I could push a button on the keyboard, the computer would try and start-lights would turn on, then shut itself off.
                Tried to turn off the power supply, back on, push the start button-same thing, lights flash like the computer is going to boot, then goes back into a "hibernation" for lack of a better term.

So, what I did was; with the power supply on, I pushed and held the "clear CMOS" button-for about 5 seconds, I would guess. Then pushed the "boot" button, and the computer booted into the BIOS. From there, I re-assigned the correct boot sequence, disabled the CPU fan alarm(water-cooled), saved and exited. The computer booted up just fine-and I never did find exactly what caused the problem. But, it was the first time in 4 years(old computer), that I had to reset the CMOS.

So, if that doesn't work-I'm outta idea's.
                MB: AsRock OC Formula Z77 LGA 1155
                CPU: Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5Ghz
                CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
                RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripsaw DDR3-1866Mhz
                GPU: 2X Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 Ram, in Crossfire
                HD1: Intel SSD 520 Series Cherryville 240GB
                HD2: WD Black 1TB 64MB Cache Ram 7200

Comment

Originally posted by RichieK View Post
                  If it was of major importance, or a big dollar value item, I might care about manufacturers warranties.
                  I don't. Parts are parts...stuff fails occasionally. And on Occasion within that occasion, sometimes there is a quick fix, or a decision to be made

If I can open something up and do a visual inspection, and I see something obviously out of the ordinany
                  burnt board...dead bug in a coil.. whatever...
                  It Usually means that I need to replace the piece, or remove the offending short, instead of looking elsewhere for fault

the point being... some things are our of our control ...some things we can fix

I'm 53 years old...I used to jump out of perfectly good aircraft and dismantle 'threatening devices' in my younger days
                  A power supply doesn't scare me, and I don't understand where the Attitude comes from.

Do me a favor

Refrain from commenting, I was looking for help, not harassment
                  How was my comment harassment? If you're not an electrical engineer or technician, and you open up the power supply, thus voiding the warranty, then what do you do? If you could visually find a damaged part, what is then the source of a replacement, Radio Shack?

Comment

Working...
                  X