Z77 OC Formula power supply question-24+8 pin, do I still use the 4-pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 OC Formula power supply question-24+8 pin, do I still use the 4-pin

I recently purchased an ASRock Z77 OC Formula for my new build. I have installed it in the case, and also have a modular power supply-Thermaltake Smart M1000W.
    I have built computers in the past-but not in the last 4 years, so when it comes to connecting the power supply to the motherboard, I'm a little confused. The power supply has 3 cables coming out of it-1 24-pin connector(I know where to connect that), 1 8-pin connector(currently connected to the 8-pin connector), and two 4-pin ATX connectors.

I noticed on the motherboard, it has an 8-pin ATX V1 power connector, and to the left of that, is an 4-pin, ATV V2 power connector. My question is; Do I connect the 8-pin power connector AND the single 4-pin power connector??

See pictures below;
    24-pin pictured to the right is connected, and the 8 pin, on the upper left side of the board is connected;

Close up showing the 8-pin power-supply connected, and the empty 4-pin ATX slot. Do I need to connect the 4-pin ATX connector as well as the 8-pin EPS? connector?

These are the two 4-pin ATX plugs coming out of my power supply-do I use either of these?

I've checked the instruction manual, and to me it says; this motherboard can use a single 4-pin ATX power-supply if no 8-pin is available.

So, do I leave the 8-pin power connector in the motherboard, and leave the 4-pin ATX socket on the motherboard empty with nothing in it?
    MB: AsRock OC Formula Z77 LGA 1155
    CPU: Intel i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5Ghz
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
    RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripsaw DDR3-1866Mhz
    GPU: 2X Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 Ram, in Crossfire
    HD1: Intel SSD 520 Series Cherryville 240GB
    HD2: WD Black 1TB 64MB Cache Ram 7200

Re: Z77 OC Formula power supply question-24+8 pin, do I still use the 4-pin

Hmm looks a bit confusing to me ..I must be out of it

edit :
    I dont know what type of modular supply you have but.. from the pictures..That 8pin plug is a solid one piece..which is fair enough,but some people may want to use your psu on mbrds which only have a sigle 4 pin atx connector for the cpu.Thatd be kinda tricky if there was a solid 8 pin plug.
    The pic of the 2 ,4 pin plugs looks like a split plug cpu power connector.As you can see the plugs arent identical. Its either an optional power lead for cpu connection or it is the cpu power connection lead and that 8 pin plug youve connected to the mbrd is actuallu a gx card power lead..that doesnt seem likely tho as they are usually in the the 6+2 form.

2nd edit :)

I had a look again.. and i think there is a molex gx card booster way down on the mbrd so it isnt that

From what I can make out .. from the mbrd and your connectors .. my guess is this.

1. the board seemsto be designed to operate with either a single 4 pin atx connector or an 8 pin atx connector...like you said from the manual it appears if you have an 8 pin plug plug it into the 8 pin slot,if you only have a 4 pin like some older psu's plug it into the 4 pin slot .
    Why they have 2 seperate sockets, I dont know, I have a board with an 8 pin socket that worked fine with a single 4 pin plug in it.
    Perhaps its something to do withdetection of connections on the board itself.
    If its for convenience , and this board will work with any old psu,it just seems confusing.

2.I dont know of any psu that comes with an 8 pin atx plug and asplit into 2x 4 pin atx plugs, that sre supposed to be connected at the same time.

Leave the 8 pin in and fire it up and leave the 4 pin empty...as the manual says only use the 4 pin socket if you have no 8 pin.

Id suggext the reason you have a 8 pin atx plug and an 8 pin atx plug split into 2 4's is beacause you have a modular pwer supply with all the leads youd want, and well specced.
    The manual doesnt say anything about connecting to that 4 pin socket if you DO have an 8 pin one right?
    Its either or.
    Last edited by kick; 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

The power supply is new, and modular. I do have the 6+2? or whatever plugs for the PCI-e video cards. But, the 8-pin plug I have plugged into the motherboard is identified as an EPS power connector, it's V1. Written on the motherboard next to that plug is
      The power supply is a Thermaltake smart m1000W if that helps.

And, like I said, the manual and the power supply manual are not much help. You would think I could find 1 picture of someone with my motherboard, with the power supply connected-so I could see if they used only the 8 pin, only the 4 pin, or both? But, no such luck. I've also googled and can't find the answer.
      So I'm hoping someone here has this motherboard, and knows the answer.
      I may eventually run dual cards, but currently only looking at 1. And, the powersupply has the special connectors for the newer higher powered cards-I'm familiar with those.

On the motherboard, the four pin ATX plus is labeled; "ATX 12V Power Connector (ATX12V2), item #1, of page 2, of the instruction manual
      Just to the right of that four pin plug, is the 8-pin plus, labeled; ATX 12 Power Connector (ATX12V1), item #2, of page 2 of the instruction manual.
      And the page in the instruction manual that refers to these plugs is on page 41. Hopefully someone can give me a concrete answer on if I'm supposed to use both, or only the 8-pin.

Comment

I edited my post above..
        ,looking at it purely from a normal psu point of view,it wont have 12 pins of atx 12v connectors , some will have 8, some older/cheaper ones will have 4.
        Were there any little stickers on the sockets? there were on my board new.

So for example heres me with a non modular psu and my z77oc formula mbrd.(Ihave a 750w non modular ocz..its not top of the line but its pretty good 4,8 pin(6+2) gx card leads etc,
        It has an 8 pin atx connector or even an 8pin atx connector split into 2 4's..which will only connect one way.

So what do I do..I connect it up to the 8 pin socket, i dont have any extra leads for the seperate 4 pin one .

Your "problem" seems to be that you have a modular psu.. at least in terms of this thing and it would annoy me too!..Im interested to know the ans also.
        If it was me of course Id fire it up with the 8 pin,..well cos I wouldnt have any other option.
        The v1/V2 aspect is also a lil weird ..sounds like theres another extra power lead for board supply just.

Hope you get the answer.

There is an asrock "community" forum based in germany probably still linked on the asrock site ,might be something there.
        Check out reviews/tests of the board?.. Its something Id comment on if I was a reviewer.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

HERE's a thread that was what I was going to post. In this thread Raja@ASUS in post 7 states the 8-pin and 4-pin are in parallel. Really only need both 8 and 4 if doing some very very serious cpu and mem OC'ing. The 8-pin is the one to use and provides plenty for the vast majority of OC's.

The pics in THIS page of the thread are worth a thousand words.

Stick with just the 8-pin. You'll know when it isn't enough, should you get that high of an OC.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Arr ,by Jiminy.. whatll they think of next.. horseless carraiges Ill be bound

Heh thx war,bet that little fan near the i/o will soak up the power too,
            Current Systems:

Comment

Well, then I'll just plug in 1 of the 4-pin plugs in next to the 8-pin. it's easier to do it now, and not need it, then to need it, and have to dig around and fiddle with the plug. once the 4-pin is plugged in alongside the 8-pin, I can bolt my fan to the radiator you see in the picture. was waiting on an answer, as that fan would have blocked access, and I'm really trying hard to keep my build "clean" with wire management.
              I'm using the corsair h100i for cpu cooling, and will overclock my i7 3770K as needed to keep up with whatever comes along in the next 4+ years-as I don't plan on building another computer for awhile.
              I'll return when I finally have all my parts with a final picture. i'm still up in the air about what video card to get-but i know i'm going with ATI-just don't know which one yet. kinda waiting for the prices to drop on the 7970 3gb models. i only run a single 30" lcd monitor at 2560X1600-but play a lot of games(BF3).
              oh, and am going with a clean install/build, with win 7/64 and an ?? model 240gb SSD for the boot/os and games. haven't decided on the model ssd yet either-but want sata 3 6gb per sec.

thanks for the help!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X