MB connectors ? ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MB connectors ? ugh

Installing the Z77 pro 4 and almost ready to boot BUT I have a few connector issues goin on.

Case fans all have the older style 4 pin white molex.
    I see CHA FAN / FAN 1 headers on the m-board.
    Should I use an adapter of some type and plug the case fans into these headers ?
    My PSU has these connectors along with a 3 pin one in that same bundle, 3pin is for what ?

Also there is a sleep led connector for the front case panel. I would like to use this but it is only a 2 pin connector and the PLED1 header is 3 pin on the MB. My PWR SW, other HDD led connectors are already in their correct header. If i did this this right ??

this is a Great forum here !

Re: MB connectors ? ugh

The sleep LED is unnecessary, since the power LED will flash on and off when the PC is sleeping. But dude, there is a three pin "PLED", or power LED header right above all the other headers. Try putting that sleep LED on it and see if it works correctly.

The case fans with only molex connectors are really in left field. Apparently meant to run full speed all the time. If they are quiet, just connect them to the PS, if you want fan speed control, you need adapters. Also, as I recall you use an unusual case, so the fans may be industrial grade, meaning they use more than 1.0A of current. If they do, the standard for PC mother boards is 1.0A max. If so, don't connect them to the board.

Good luck finding molex to three pin female adapters. Molex to three pin male adapters are common, and you could then use a three pin male/female extension cable, but rather a mess.

Three pin on a PS cable? Weird, could be for a floppy drive.

Comment

Originally posted by sturoc View Post
      My PSU has these connectors along with a 3 pin one in that same bundle, 3pin is for what ?
      Guessing here as you haven't seen fit to inform us of your exact PSU model, but is this 3-pin connector of the female persuasion?(ie: 3 holes for pins to enter into and comes directly out of the psu all by its self)

If so, and again, not knowing what PSU we're talking about here, it's most likely meant to monitor the PSU's fan RPM. If that's the instance here then it would get plugged into the PWR_FAN1 connection directly above the PCIe x1. DO NOT CONNECT IT TO THE PWR_FAN1 HEADER UNTIL YOU'RE 100% POSITIVE THAT IS WHAT THIS 3-PIN CONNECTOR IS.

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Good luck finding molex to three pin female adapters.
      Gary at Sidewinder has them. And I've a few in my tech box too.

Reverse 3-to-4-Pin Power Adapter

Though in reading what parsec says of your case/fans, a fan controller might be the more prudent and safe way of addressing your fans power needs.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Whoops forgot that PSU model, sorry : Corsair CX500

and the PLED header: the connector for the front panel led is a 2 pin deal and yeah the PLED is 3 pin so maybe I'll just plug in and swap around to get it right It's just an led.

Thanks Parsec for the MB current draw specs per fan headers. Yes this case has become alot of work !
        I've had to do alot of modding to the case.

I may start a new build thread for this as we are gettin off topic now.I'll link to here and will post pics in new thread.

Comment

Well, this is your thread, and not much to it yet, so you could continue here or start another.

What size are those fans, 120mm, or what? If they are 120mm, they are more likely to be high current Delta screamers, great for cooling, but not for your ears. Smaller fans like 92mm or 80mm are much more likely to be below 1.0A current draw. Given your board, they are definitely 1.0A max.

That three pin connector on your CX500 is definitely a floppy power connector. Fan speed connectors on current power supplies are unheard of these days. Regardless, worthless for fans, and cannot fit on a fan header.

wardog, nice find on those adapters, but don't expect to find them at your typical store.

Comment

there are a pair of 'em that mount in the rear think they're at least 92> mm cause 80's would fit just right. Chinese brand.
            I can't believe a manufacturer would do such slop like putting a bigger fan in for a small opening !

a good view of their mounting area
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2113.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	753422

Comment

That three pin connector on your CX500 is definitely a floppy power connector. Fan speed connectors on current power supplies are unheard of these days. Regardless, worthless for fans, and cannot fit on a fan header.
              Now knowing his psu is of a newer make, I tend to agree. Hindsight is 20/20.

wardog, nice find on those adapters, but don't expect to find them at your typical store.
              No. Certainly not. Yet he didn't walk out of BestBuy or OfficeDepot with that case under arm either.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I checked these fans out and the rear pair were actually 80 mm jury rigged into 60 mm fan vent area. the front fan is 120mm mounted with just 2 screws and would've flopped around like a hooked fish ! Their specs on the decal say 12v. @ less than .25a draw. All have the 4 pin molex but with only a red /black wire to 2 pins. All made in china so i suspect their noise level will be high and longevity low,.
                So I think they all should be replaced with a quiet low noise type with proper MB pin connectors.

Now in your guys best knowledge, would it be prudent to run 2 x60mm on rear panel as exhaust ?
                The Xigmatex cooler fan points right at this fan grill at 4 " away.

You might think why go thru all the trouble for this case but as stated it's home needs to be in a Audio rack with associated recording gear.
                And once all this modding is done it will be good to go with no further tweaking.
                plus it's good experience for me.

I appreciate your replies very much.

Comment

Those two wire to two pin connectors might fit on a three pin mobo fan header, although you won't get fan speed (RPM) data without three wires.

BTW, 99% of PC fans are made in China or Taiwan, regardless of the name or where they were designed.

Lucky you, you are talking to a fan-natic PC fan guy. Although I have my biases, as you'll see.

In my experience, to put it mildly, small fan suck. Noisy and weak, worthless IMO. What is small? Anything less than 80mm. Frankly, anything less than 120mm is small to me, I only use 120mm or 140mm, besides larger, almost proprietary fans on two cases I have. Wait, I use a couple 50mm fans as chipset coolers. I like larger fans because they move more air and make less noise doing it.

I checked all the 60mm fans at Newegg, they are rated at ~25CFM or less, which means in the real world, they do about half that. But your space is limited, and you need quiet for a PC used for audio. Believe me, you must be careful with small fans, they whine like crazy at higher speeds. They are not cheap either. Of the 60mm fans at Newegg, I like the Gelid Silent6.

See the vent holes above the fan mounts and PCI slots on the back panel? Guess where most of the air will come into the case with two 60mm fans (or one 80mm) for exhaust mounted right below them? That's right, in through those holes above, and out by the fans below. What a great design. I suggest blocking the holes with electrical tape, or plastic taped in place. Then the two fans will pull the warm air from the CPU cooler out of the case.

It looks like you might be able to mount a fan behind those slots on the front of the case. Or is that just an air intake?

Comment

Although I have my biases, as you'll see
                    hehe, same here.

Hey sturoc, considering time spend modding and the additional costs, how resolved are you at working this particular case over into a working case?

I'm quickly getting the impression you're as impressed with this case as I was when one was brought to me to build into for my brother.

Leaving aside the aforementioned "drop in' 120mm fan and it's two frame mounting ears. Swapping drives isn't an easy task, 60mm screamers, no rigidity(the case has the flexibility of a 13yr old gymnast), and I was less than impressed while considering the mb tray(even if it is the stiffest part of the case, less rails). Once assembled and pushed in it's fine, but .......

Maybe one of the top three from THIS list? The prices aren't that much more than what the case you have now was and IMO you'll be beginning with a case designed and built to last, not be forced to mod.

I'll vouch for the RPC-470(see sig). Yea, it's a full length monster. But a ton of room.

Comment

It looks like you might be able to mount a fan behind those slots on the front of the case. Or is that just an air intake?
                      That's where the 120 mm fan sits there is a filter frame that can be pulled out without opening the case.
                      Behind this filter is a second 'grill' (inside the case) which i cut out some of it in order to have more airflow- read as: perforated but not enough holes.
                      I too find the cooling aspect interesting. Wondered just how much air do those little fans move and your tip of blocking that upper vent is great.
                      Also as mentioned there is a 80mm in the top lid that can be an exhaust fan too.
                      Question: Is it better to have just one intake source and multiple exhaust ?

Yes, We've heard those small fans scream in our EMU E6400 samplers (fans since replaced).

Wardog : I'm over the hump on this one now after the standoffs, mounting plate other cutting etc. So to move to another case not really cost effective and time is a factor too now. And while i don't mind doing some modding, your right, I was getting un-impressed daily !
                      They are somewhat flimsy, this case has a brace actually a bar that was, my best guess, a secondary holder for all the add on cards .
                      So that stiffens the girl up a bit !

Anyways Gonna get the fan scene sussed out today so hopefully by Friday we'll be loading OS and getting it into the control room.

As for drive swapping if one does fail that's just the way it is, pull the case, deal with it, Back up is the key.
                      Will be using a RAID set up hence the dual Seagates. Can't afford to have a session or project go down the tubes.
                      Final tracks / albums, soundtracks, etc will got to an external drive 'tank'.

Those other cases you referred to seem nice, the cheaper one people had issues with.
                      Seems like no case is perfect when it comes to the 'rack' style.

Comment

Working...
                      X