Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory problems

Hello all, my first post on the forum.

Im having an issue with my memory on my ASrock Extreme4 gen 3 mobo. In DIMM slots B1+B2 i have installed 4gb (2x2gb) of corsair vengeance at 1600mhz. That runs fine and well by itself and posts perfectly. The other day i purchased another set of the EXACT same memory, Vengeance 2x2gb 1600mhz. When i install it into the sets a1+a2 so every DIMM slot is full.. i get the error message 30 on DR.Debug, Ive made sure the DIMMS are in fine and ive swapped the 2 new DIMMS into the other 2 slots alone and they run fine, so its not the DIMMS themselves..

Could anyone advise me on what i could undergo to perhaps get past error 30?

PS. Error 30 = 'Reserved for ASL (See ASL status codes bellow)' There are no ASL status codes bellow...

Thank you for your time reading this and hope you can help me

~Lukeyallop

Re: Memory problems

Need more info besides Corsair Vengeance, what model number is it? Is it listed on your boards compatible memory list? I only see two models of Corsair, 2GB 1600 DIMMs listed.

Did you try clearing the BIOS/CMOS after putting in the new memory?

Some memory manufactures insist that all the DIMMs must be matched, even of the same model. Meaning mixing two, two DIMM kits might not work. I've gotten away with mixing two kits like you are doing, but supposedly that might not work.

If you used slots B1 and B2 previously (or A1 and A2), you were running in single channel memory mode. Usually with two DIMMs you would use slots A2 and B2, with one DIMM in each channel. Did you ever try your memory that way, in dual channel mode, with only two DIMMs?

Comment

I know that they are identical kits because the part number matches up. I have not tried resetting the CMOS and will try it later today after work. And in the manual it says you should use A1+B1 or B1+B2 if you only use 2 DIMM's but when i tried it when i first built the PC it did not work.. however B1+B2 are the only slots that will use 2 Dimms for some weird reason

Comment

I tried Resetting the CMOS... nothing.. still get error message 30... Only thing now is to put the ram in and push hard on it to make sure its in, but im still a little ooh and ahh about the situation... s there anything else someone could point out?

Comment

A matched set of four DIMMs is not two separate kits of the same model number, it is one kit of four matched memory modules, meaning they were tested together, and work together. Memory manufactures do not consider two random two DIMM kits to be matched memory. But you can get away with it, sometimes.

But more important, we still don't know what model of memory you have, in order to determine if it is compatible with your board. Given that it does not work as it should with one DIMM in each channel, it seems that it isn't.

Comment

Working...
          X