Asrock Z77 extreme 6 doesn't detect my Sapphire HD 7850 GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z77 extreme 6 doesn't detect my Sapphire HD 7850 GPU

My new Asrock Z77 extreme 6 is not able to see my Sapphire HD7850 GPU, either in the BIOS or windows. The on-board graphics work normally. TheSapphire works normally in another computer. Another ATI card (5750) works finein the Asrock. I have tried all the PCIe slots none of which work. I have triedreseating it several times. As far as Ican tell it is all wired up correctly with a 750W PSU. Can anyone help?<o:p></o:p>
    System:<o:p></o:p>
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 6<o:p></o:p>
    Adata XPG Xtreme v1.0 16Gb (2x8GB) DDR3 (2133MHz)<o:p></o:p>
    Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz (Ivybridge)<o:p></o:p>
    Sapphire HD 7850 2048MB GDDR5<o:p></o:p>

Re: Asrock Z77 extreme 6 doesn't detect my Sapphire HD 7850 GPU

Same here - but with a different board: I'm using an ASRock Z77 Pro4-M on bios 1.2 a 3570k processor and a retail Sapphire HD7850 2GB.
    No signal, 5x beep with the graphics card inserted. Boots fine if card is removed and only using the integrated gpu.

Comment

Dear all,

I test Gigabyte HD7850 on Z77 Extreme6 BIOS P1.70 and P1.90, system works normally.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
      1. Clear CMOS to try.
      2. Install the VGA card to other PCI-E slots to check whether the system works.
      3. If possible, please try the VGA card on another system to check whether the symptom still occur.

Thanks!

Hi Gentletouch,
      Please kindly provide the detail model name of VGA card and product link for me.
      I will try to borrow the VGA card from Sapphire for checking this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
      ASRock TSD
      Emily

Comment

I am having a similar problem with my ASRock Z77 Professional motherboard and a Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 which I purchased last Saturday. According to GPU-Z, it seems to be the OC edition even though it wasn't labeled as such in the box. Sapphire Technology Web Site

Anyway, I have done some testing and here's what happens in my case. The card is not detected in the PCIE2 slot if the system is powered on after being off for hours. If I then set the PCIE2 mode to Gen 1 in BIOS, the card is detected. If I immediately set it to Auto, the card is once again not detected. If I boot into Windows while the PCIE2 mode is set to Gen 1, and then reboot after a few minutes and set the mode to Auto, the card continues to be detected. After that if I shut down the system and turn it on after a few seconds, the card is still detected. But if I shut down the system and leave it off for hours and then turn it on, the card is once again not detected. I have to once again set PCIE2 mode to Gen 1, boot into Windows and then reboot and set PCIE2 mode to Auto. This does not seem to happen in the PCIE4 slot. The card was detected fine when I installed it in the PCIE4 slot. The problem also doesn't occur in the PCIE2 slot with my old Geforce 8800 GT card. So, it seems the problem is with this particular card.

Edit: Forgot to mention the BIOS version. It's 1.20. Now I see a new version was released today. Will flash it and see if the problem occurs again tomorrow.
        Last edited by -AB-; 07-17-2012, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Dear all,

About this issue, please kindly update the latest BIOS from below link to try first.
          Link: ASRock > Products > Motherboard Series

If any question, please kindly let me know.
          Thank you!

Have a nice day
          ASRock TSD
          Emily

Comment

I have just updated my BIOS to 1.9. The card wasstill not detected. However when I changed the PCIE2 Link Speed to Gen 1 thecard is detected and I can boot into windows. When I change the PCIE2 LinkSpeed back to Auto the card is no longer detected. At least now I know the hardwareis all functional.<o:p></o:p>
            <o:p></o:p>
            Here is a link to my card:<o:p></o:p>
            http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-295-SP<o:p></o:p>
            (Sapphire HD 7850 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card)<o:p></o:p>
            Thank you for the help.<o:p></o:p>

Comment

BIOS update didn't work for me either. I powered on my PC today and there was once again no display (the card was probably not detected). But it seems setting PCIE2 link speed to Gen 1 is not necessary. When there was no display, I just let it boot into Windows. After the computer booted into Windows, I let it stay powered on for a few minutes and then shut it down. After I powered it on again, the card was detected and there was display. I remembered something like this happening when I first installed the card so decided to give it a try today instead of changing the PCIE2 link speed to Gen 1.

Comment

I have tried rebootiing from windows but in my case the only way my system detects the sapphire card is if I set PCIe2 to Gen1. Whan set to Auto, the system cannot see the card.

Regards
                Last edited by Gentletouch; 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM. Reason: Error

Comment

Originally posted by Gentletouch View Post
                  I have tried rebootiing from windows but in my case the only way my system detects the sapphire card is if I set PCIe2 to Gen1. Whan set to Auto, the system cannot see the card.

Regards
                  New bios V1.3 for Pro4-M didn't work for me neither, my Sapphire 7850 2GB is not detected. The Asrock Z77 Pro4-M does'n seem to offer an option to set PCIe2 to Gen1. In fact, I can only access the option PCIe1 and it doesn't matter if I set it to Auto or Gen1 the graphics card is still not detected.

Comment

Dear all,

Thanks for your testing and reply.

I will borrow the VGA card from Sapphire for checking this issue.

If any update, I will inform you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
                    Thanks!

Have a nice day
                    ASRock TSD
                    Emily

Comment

Regards
                      Try shutting down your system instead of simply rebooting. This has worked for me today also. I turned on my PC, there was no display, so I let it boot into Windows. Once it was at the login screen, I waited for about 2 minutes and shut it down. Then I waited for a few seconds and powered it on again. This time the card was detected and there was display.

Comment

I have had another try, no the only way I can get the card working is with the PCIe slot set to Gen1. Incidentally would that create a significant bottle neck? I am getting lots of stuttering and poor frame rates in some old games..

Regards

Comment

Seems to be an UEFI detection issue with that specific card.
                          Last edited by freddy31; 07-21-2012, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I have had another try, no the only way I can get the card working is with the PCIe slot set to Gen1. Incidentally would that create a significant bottle neck? I am getting lots of stuttering and poor frame rates in some old games..

Regards
                            Did you try just once or more than once? Cause today it didn't work for me the first time. Had to try again.

Also, did you try installing the card in the PCIE4 slot? In my case the card was being detected fine when installed in the PCIE4 slot even when it wasn't being detected in the PCIE2 slot.

And I am not sure if the stuttering and poor frame rates you are experiencing is due to the PCIE link speed. I didn't try any games when the PCIE2 link speed was set to Gen 1.

Originally posted by freddy31 View Post
                            Seems to be an UEFI detection issue with that specific card.
                            I just read your first post and your problem seems different, since there are beeps and your system doesn't boot at all while the card is installed. I could be wrong though. Anyway, I hope you remembered to connect the 6 pin PCIE power cable to your graphics card when you installed it. :D

Also, your motherboard has only one PCIE 3.0 slot. It's the one labeled "PCIE1" which is why you only see option to change PCIE1 link speed in BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by -AB- View Post
                              I just read your first post and your problem seems different, since there are beeps and your system doesn't boot at all while the card is installed. I could be wrong though. Anyway, I hope you remembered to connect the 6 pin PCIE power cable to your graphics card when you installed it. :D
                              I borrowed a GTX 460 gfx card and this one works fine with the board. The GTX 460 draws more power (2two PCIE 6x power connectors) so it's not an issue with my system or PSU. It's either my HD7850 which is defective or there's a compatibility issue with my Z77 Pro4-M V1.3 and the Sapphire 7850. I'll test my gfx card on a different platform (not z77 based) next weekend at the retailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X