Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAM isn't recognized correctly after bios update to 3.10 (Asrock p67 pro3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RAM isn't recognized correctly after bios update to 3.10 (Asrock p67 pro3)

Asrock support got back to me and just as I figured they denied any issues with the latest 3.10 and 3.20 bios, they told me that those bios's do not support sandy bridge CPU's which is the reason that overclocking is broken. I know those bios's are for ivy bridge cpu's if you decide to upgrade but I figured the bios's would still be compatible with sandy bridge too right?

Comment

Never assume....always verify.
      I have a major problem with their bios download page, as they currently offer only one beta bios for Sandy Bridge.
      It's my understanding that you can't flash back using the earlier Sandy Bridge bios once you've flashed to the listed newest bios versions.
      Their bios download page should say in big bold text:
      This bios is ONLY for Ivy Bridge 3rd generation processors.

Send a PM to ASRock TSD - Emily, provide a link to your post and see if she can help.
      The only other option is to buy a pre-flashed bios chip that has the Sandy Bridge bios.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
        The only other option is to buy a pre-flashed bios chip that has the Sandy Bridge bios.

Thanks man thats what I did yesterday, got one from ebay and its preflashed to the Sandy Bridge bios. I had originally ordered a new Z77 board but decided to reject the package and have it sent back to newegg.com.

The bios chip was only $16 bucks verses $109.99 for a new board and I still like the P67 Pro3 as its been a good board and still has life in it.

Comment

You're welcome, let us know how the new bios chip works out.
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Never assume....always verify.
            I have a major problem with their bios download page, as they currently offer only one beta bios for Sandy Bridge.
            It's my understanding that you can't flash back using the earlier Sandy Bridge bios once you've flashed to the listed newest bios versions.
            Their bios download page should say in big bold text:
            This bios is ONLY for Ivy Bridge 3rd generation processors.

Send a PM to ASRock TSD - Emily, provide a link to your post and see if she can help.
            I heartily agree, but it looks like no mother board manufacture is doing this. Owners see a new BIOS/UEFI and think it is better or improved, and jump right on it.

If the mobo manufactures think the IB compatible BIOS retain all the SB functionality, they are wrong. But how could they not know that? They all seem to not want to maintain two versions of a BIOS/UEFI, which would be unusual but if necessary, it should be done.

Can't these manufactures see the grief they are causing their customers and themselves?! I don't get it...

Comment

The bios for other Asrock P67 boards do not seem to have this issue. My Fatal1ty P67 Performance has the latest Ivy Bridge bios. Memory is detected fine, and all overclocking functions still work with both Ivy Bridge bios versions, while still using a 2500K.

I don't think they need to maintain two versions of the UEFI for SB and IB, they just need to fix the one they have, so it works with both, as it should. Problem is, this board is discontinued now, so I doubt they will ever fix it.

Comment

Good, glad to hear that! But we have heard so much negative about this that it makes me wonder. If the board is discontinued, those owners are likely out of luck.

Comment

Got my new bios chip today and am happy to report that my board is back to life again! :-)

Comment

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that everything is now working with your new bios chip.

Comment

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that everything is now working with your new bios chip.

Thanks, now asrock support is telling me that they are gonna send me a bios chip to support my mistakes. The guy i have been dealing with at asrock is a real jerk and has been talking down to me since I reported this issue.

I told him not to bother and to keep his bios chip because I no longer needed it!

Comment

Atleast you got them to respond. They are just ignoring my support requests. All around a real bad customer service from them and will never buy another of their products. I will make sure I go out of my way to ensure that all my friends, customers, and guildmates know how they like to treat their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by DahlKen View Post
                          Atleast you got them to respond. They are just ignoring my support requests. All around a real bad customer service from them and will never buy another of their products. I will make sure I go out of my way to ensure that all my friends, customers, and guildmates know how they like to treat their customers.

If you would like to have the email of the guy from asrock i was dealing with just let me know and I will PM it too you, he was a real sarcastic condesending jerk but in the end he offered a free bios replacement chip, lol.

Comment

i got the same problem with my p67 fatalty professional b3 and i am in Romania and i am not sure about the responsive of asrock here i hope to have a software solution .

Comment

1) are you in fact talking about a "Fatal1ty P67 Performance" and its updated bios ( ASRock > Fatal1ty P67 Performance ) or rather a "Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3" ??

i'm asking because i cant find any "professional" versions among the P67 boards on their global site. let me know, if a made a mistake there!

2) have you allready read the whole thread? since the "special" bios that has been offered here is only suitable for P67 Pro3 boards plusthe ASRock support seems to be a FAT LOL at the moment plus you explicitly asked for a "software solution", i would suggest:

well... i may add: a) your memory should still give you a post/boot with loose timings and low frequency (therfore clear CMOS) and b) you should know at least the basics of the stuff i'm talking about (cmos/bios/post/timings/XMP/etc.). following further instructions doesn't make much sense if one of these conditions is not met.

ok, back to my suggestion:
                              first download Aida64 or the latest version of Memset ( Tweakers.fr ) -> read out the XMP values (timings, subtimings and voltage) of your memory -> write them down.
                              then set the memory voltage manually to XMP value +1 increment.
                              then you should read my reply on page 7, but actually in your case the important paragraph is:

my solution (@BIOS 3.20):
                              acting on the assumption that even a piece of hardware has soft feelings (at least if provided by Intel) i manually set one sub timing after another referring to "XMPv1.2" readings in the Motherboard\SPD- tab of Aida64 (a very helpful monitoring tool); and YES!... one after another means: set first> post> set next one> post> and so on...
                              finally the most important procedure:
                              1)leave XMP- and frequency- option on "auto"
                              2)set the CR to 2N
                              3)incrementally reduce one main timing after another referring to XMP (tCL at last); YES!... incrementally means: 9 to 8> post> 8 to 7> post> and so on...
                              4)save settings
                              5)try CR on 1N if the previous bios did the job (you may have to repeat the whole procedure if it doesn't post, fortunately it worked for me, so i can't tell)
                              6)run Memtest4 or something similar

...it seems to me that recent bios/ME-versions or whatever don't like too many timings changed simultaneously and/or on a progressive scale, this applies especially to the main timings. maybe i could have set SOME timings simultaneously as well, but the way i recovered them one by one was definitely more efficient, since a whole week of state-of-the-art-conscious-mind-acting did NOT lead to a single post.
                              since i'm (ab)using a P67 Pro3, you can ignore the given bios versions.
                              the whole thing must sound very silly to experienced users (i think i allready mentioned that) but it did the job for me, my board, my bios, my memory. maybe it works out for similar (P67?) rigs, maybe it doesn't ... what else can i say?
                              either
                              take the hardware solution and order a new chip/board or give it a try, since it is a software solution and it won't get much softer!!

aah! btw, is there anyone else who's still corresponding with ASRock??? If yes, please ask them why they forgot the second "S" in their brand name!!
                              Last edited by Eyedentity; 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

it's not performance it's professional.
                                i will order a bios chip and i will keep the old one to try the new bios version from ASSROCK .
                                i don't know what i have to do with that company .

Comment

Working...
                                X