Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAM isn't recognized correctly after bios update to 3.10 (Asrock p67 pro3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM isn't recognized correctly after bios update to 3.10 (Asrock p67 pro3)

Hi all
    I have 2 sets of RAM Patriot PSD38G1600KH 8GB url (site currently is down), so I have four identical 4GB DIMMs that occupy all 4 slots of ram in Asrock p67 pro3 motheboard. Default setting is 11-11-11-28-2T @ 1600MHz. Also i have processor intel i5-2500k and Windows 7 x64.

Today i updated BIOS from version 2.00B to the newest 3.10 downloaded from Asrock official website. After that i set in bios setting only for sata ahci, all rest settings stayed on defalut.
    Started windows, everything seemed to be fine but after several minutes my pc reseted abnormally. Then it was resetting everytime in windows, bios or even i wasn’t able to get into bios, or bios got freezed. The problem i found was that memory was set to 1600MHz (default setting for my ram) and when i changed it to 1333MHz pc becomes fully stable and i had 16GB ram. But after pc restart, bios wont recognize my ram correctly anymore. I get only half of 16Gigs that is 8Gigs and also ram modules are recognized as 1333MHz, and its maximum what I can set in bios.

Some bios screens:

Here is small table in excel i've made, that shows how bios recognizes ram when modules are put only in certain slots:
    1 - DDR3_A1
    2 - DDR3_A2
    3 - DDR3_B1
    4 - DDR3_B2

CPU-Z and AIDA64 show that I have 4 banks of 4GB RAM, but windows and applications cannot allocate more than 8GB:

In short description:
    1)Everything was working perfectly on bios 2.0 and 2.00B for a long time
    2)Since i've made bios update to 3.10 i have only half (8 of 16 GB) of ram recognized in bios and windows, but: for short time after update i had correct 16GB and 1600MHZ but my pc was very unstable
    3)RAM is recognized as 1333MHz, but should be 1600MHZ in default
    3)CPU-Z and AIDA show that i have 4 banks of 4GB ram, CPU-Z shows that i have 16GB ram, AIDA64 shows 8GB, but applications cannot allocate more than 8GB
    4)Changing bios to beta 3.01 wont change anything
    5)Clearing cmos by button, by jumper or long-time putting off cmos battery wont change anything

I would be very happy if i could revert back to 2.00B, and what i read its probably impossible, but maybe there is a way for doing this? Thx for help.

EDIT: I also noticed that maximum multiplier i can set is 37, same issues as in this thread
    Last edited by kudlaty; 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM.

Re: RAM isn't recognized correctly after bios update to 3.10 (Asrock p67 pro3)

Exactly the same problem over here mate, any luck???

(even the cpuz shows the same!!)

2600k and PRO3 always working like charm...until yesterday!!! :(

Any idea? Downgrade?

Cheers!

Comment

Unfortunately no luck, i wrote 10 minutes ago to Asrock support on asrock.com and wait for answer.
      As for downgrade i didn't try it, cuz i've read it could make the motheboard unresponsive (?).
      Cheers

Comment

Yeah, I wrote them last night and I havent had any mail back yet.
        I guess they dont are very keen in response emails personally...
        lets see if we have luck....otherwise I'll move to gigabyte
        (Ive been a solid asrock costumer for years!)

good luck 2 you too!

:)

Comment

Here (translation) pll say that they have problems with new bios and their chipsets with B2 stepping. But i have B3 and everything should work. What about you Kunst?
          Also tried to flashback with this method but... seems that region with ME i locked ,AFUWIN cannot flash ME Firmware part too :(

EDIT: I downgraded the bios to 2.00B but the problem still exists, so its Intel ME firmware problem, which cannot be dowgraded cuz its region is locked. Is it possible that i have chipset with B2 stepping, but both CPU-Z and aida64 show B3?? Thats's weird.

Any idea what to do now? I have processor that i cannot oveclock, and half of my RAM is only consuming power... only because i updated to the newest official bios...
          Last edited by kudlaty; 05-17-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Comment

I really dont know now what kind of stepping do i have - B2, B3 or maybe something else?
              And there should be some warning on the website to not install 3.10 on B2 chipset :/

Yes, you can downgrade bios, but it will be the same sh*t functional as 3.10, cuz intel me cannot be downgraded too. There are some error messages on post but pc and bios are responsive.

Cheers

Comment

as for now, only way to fix it is to get back a real bios chip from asrock and replace the current one.
                I do not understand why asrock leave those sh**ty bioses on their website for download !

Comment

Originally posted by xixou View Post
                  as for now, only way to fix it is to get back a real bios chip from asrock and replace the current one.
                  I do not understand why asrock leave those sh**ty bioses on their website for download !

So you think asrock wont be able to fix this? Im just fxcking impressed! And dead mad!
                  Wondering if better invest 70 quid in a cheapo gigabyte. Dont want though, I got
                  osx and windows and shxtloads of stuff installed for work....

ASROCKMAN PLEASE IF YOU'RE READING THIS, JUST RELEASE A NEW BIOS! PLEASE!

Comment

Well, I believe a bios that erases the old Intel area should do it, but It looks like Asrock has not enough man-time available to do it.
                    I have a P67 B2.

Comment

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had progress in fixing this issue as I am also experiencing this exact problem.

Comment

looks like Intel is to blame this time.

Comment

Fxck man, it looks like this is an dead end....

We should start betting about when a new bios that fix the problem
                          is going to be released....

IF they are aware that problem is there, obviously...

Comment

Emily, would you be kind to comment on this ?
                            Are the engineers confident that thr Intel Bios part can be erased/reprogrammed again with the previous Intel firmware ?

Comment

Working...
                            X