Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAM isn't recognized correctly after bios update to 3.10 (Asrock p67 pro3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RAM isn't recognized correctly after bios update to 3.10 (Asrock p67 pro3)

Hi Guys,

I've heard back from ASRock today with an apology that this happened and a forwarded RMA form. Looks like they're going to send me a new board instead of just a BIOS chip. I'm a little disappointed to be without a computer for a while but I'm happy they were so quick to respond and address my problem. Kudos to ASRock for being so responsive and willing to help. For anyone else facing this issue, I'd second Kudlaty's recommendation to fill out a support ticket and let them know what's going on. Thanks again to everyone in this thread who replied to offer help!

Cheers,
    Chris

Comment

Thanks for the update!!
      Filling out a support ticket is the best way to let them know about problems that can't be easily fixed.

Good luck with your replacement motherboard, let us know how it works out.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

good morning, boys and girls!

well, indeed 4GB recognized, but about the same performance problem here! however, thanks to my great ability to try almost everything one frustrated user CAN try, independent of how ridiculous it may seem to others, i might have stumbled upon a workaround (although calling it a "workaround" isn't far from blasphemy).

my modules' XMP: 1600/6-8-6-24-2N/1.5V

my findings ([email protected] as a precaution):
        update 3.10 > enable XMP profile (=1600/6-8-6-24-1N)... NO POST
        > manually set XMP option, frequency and each timing to "auto" (=1600/9-9-9-28-1N)... BOOT&STABLE
        > manually set main timings to 6-8-6-24-2N... NO POST
        > update 3.20... SAME STORY

my solution (@BIOS 3.20):
        acting on the assumption that even a piece of hardware has soft feelings (at least if provided by Intel) i manually set one sub timing after another referring to "XMPv1.2" readings in the Motherboard\SPD- tab of Aida64 (a very helpful monitoring tool); and YES!... one after another means: set first> post> set next one> post> and so on...
        finally the most important procedure:
        1)leave XMP- and frequency- option on "auto"
        2)set the CR to 2N
        3)incrementally reduce one main timing after another referring to XMP (tCL at last); YES!... incrementally means: 9 to 8> post> 8 to 7> post> and so on...
        4)save settings
        5)try CR on 1N if the previous bios did the job (you may have to repeat the whole procedure if it doesn't post, fortunately it worked for me, so i can't tell)
        6)run Memtest4 or something similar

...it seems to me that recent bios/ME-versions or whatever don't like too many timings changed simultaneously and/or on a progressive scale, this applies especially to the main timings. maybe i could have set SOME timings simultaneously as well, but the way i recovered them one by one was definitely more efficient, since a whole week of state-of-the-art-conscious-mind-acting did NOT lead to a single post.

i want to add that benchmarking read speed, latency and encryption rate @BIOS 3.20 revealed a slight loss of performance compared to BIOS 2.00 at virtually the same and even tighter settings ("virtually" because back in the 2.00- days i didn't have to set the rated XMP timings manually, since the XMP option worked fine when CR was set to "auto" which always resulted in 1N).
        to be accurate for the sake of the interested:
        1600/6-8-6-24-1N@ 2.00 < 3.20
        Aida64-read~ 20 100 > 20 000 MB/s
        Aida64-latency~ 41.9 < 42.6 ns
        winrar~ 4 200 > 4 100 KB/s

crazy sandy bridge epoch... makes me sound like a retard even more often than a good old DFI-rig, but maybe/hopefully some of you can and will make use of the experiences i'm sharing here and if so... don't thank me, just thank: the leading consumer- IT manufacturers, the globalized pseudo-free market pseudo-economy, the buggy power saving features, Sigmund Freud, William Gunning, Edward A. Murphy ...and all other entities who made me seriously claim:

"the harder the ware, the softer its feelings"

Comment

Hi Guys,

Just popping back again with a final update. In corresponding with Stephanie from ASRock customer service, I asked her about trying a replacement BIOS chip before going for a full RMA. It seemed to help for other people and I pointed her towards this thread; if it didn't work, I'd send the board in for replacement, but if it did, we'd all save some time and expense. I received the replacement chip three days after that email (and at no cost!). After installing it this afternoon, I'm happy to report that it totally solved the issue. All four of my RAM slots function properly again! Now we know that this fix works on both the P67 Pro3 and the P67 Extreme4. For anyone else out there facing this problem, try filling out a support ticket as ProfJim recommended and see about giving this a shot if nothing else will work.

All the Best,
          Chris

Comment

Thanks for the update.
            It's good to hear that the replacement bios chip fixed your problems and that ASRock tech support responded quickly and was very co-operative.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Hello guys, same issue here with my P67 Pro3 Asrock board. I knew I should have left the bios alone! lol! Oh well, can anyone here send me the bios with the fix? I think its the 2.00I or something like that? thanks guys.

Comment

Nice, thanks a lot guys. "Insert sarcasm" I know out of 500 and some folks viewing this forum that someone can help me.

Comment

You'll have to buy one from somewhere else as I have been trying to get in touch with Asrock and they don't seem to be doing any type of customer tech support at all. I know this is becoming a rampant problem and it seems as though they are trying to bury their heads while hiding from it instead of coming out and pulling the BIOS off the site and fixing the boards already broken by using them.

Comment

Originally posted by RobsM6S View Post
                    Hello guys, same issue here with my P67 Pro3 Asrock board. I knew I should have left the bios alone! lol! Oh well, can anyone here send me the bios with the fix? I think its the 2.00I or something like that? thanks guys.
                    Nice, thanks a lot guys. "Insert sarcasm" I know out of 500 and some folks viewing this forum that someone can help me.
                    OMG, yeah, everyone viewing this forum has the same board as you. Of those that do, they all of course have every BIOS version ever available saved some where, right? That would be the I think its the 2.00I or something like that? version, which just ID's it perfectly. Plus they are constantly monitoring this forum and every thread, so they can respond in less than a day to your request.

Actually, if you had read the previous page of this thread, you would know who had sent this "special BIOS" version to someone, and you could ask him too, with a PM, if you could manage that.

Even if you did something in your BIOS to cause problems, resetting it with the jumper or clear button sets everything back to the default values.

Comment

2.00I : Zippyshare.com - P67P32.00I.rar
                      If not working try this : Zippyshare.com - MEUpdate71521176_NoPwChk.exe

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post

Even if you did something in your BIOS to cause problems, resetting it with the jumper or clear button sets everything back to the default values.

I did read the thread, perhaps you should practice what you preach because you obviously did not read it. If you did then you would realize this is a problem which resetting the bios doesnt solve the issue.

If I sounded a little excited its because I AM considering the fact the new bios messes up your ability to overclock.

Comment

Originally posted by kudlaty View Post

Thanks buddy! I will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by DahlKen View Post
                            You'll have to buy one from somewhere else as I have been trying to get in touch with Asrock and they don't seem to be doing any type of customer tech support at all. I know this is becoming a rampant problem and it seems as though they are trying to bury their heads while hiding from it instead of coming out and pulling the BIOS off the site and fixing the boards already broken by using them.

Thanks, I guess replacing the bios chip will be a last resort plan for me. Im gonna try a few things first and if they dont work then I will get a replacement. Thanks again for your help guys.

Comment

Uggghh! board seems dead this morning. Will no longer boot at all, clearing cmos doesnt help a bit and tried switching my ram around. Went ahead an ordered a Z77 board from the egg as I need my pc up and running asap.

Once I get my new board I will deal with asrock rma over this matter!

Comment

Alright submitted a ticket to asrock support, lets see what they say. If they will just send me a bios replacement chip I would be pleased because I can then fix the board and sell it which would offset some of the cost for my new board.

Comment

Working...
                                X