X79 Extreme6 wake up issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X79 Extreme6 wake up issue

I have just finished a new computer based on the X79 Extreme 6/GB mobo . . . . . Core i7 3820, 32 GB RAM, OCZ 250GB SSD, HIS 7970 video card, Windows 7 Professional SP1.

The problem I am having is the machine will not wake up from sleep mode. It does respond to a mouse click or key press, the fans spin up and the drive light flashes, but the I never get any video. I have to shut it down and go through the pain of an unexpected shutdown. For now I have turned off sleep mode and just shut the machine down when I am finished.

I upgraded the bios to V1.20 but it did not change the behavior.

I have another 2 year old ASUS/AMD WIndows 7 64 bit PC that sleeps just fine.

Any clues? Thanks.

Re: X79 Extreme6 wake up issue

After submitting this I had a revelation . . . what if the computer IS waking up but there is simply(!) no video, meaning the 7970 video card is not coming back but everything else is fine?

I won't have an opportunity to test this until early next week, but I will post the results.

Comment

Is the system overclocked or running at stock speeds?

Have you tested the system to make sure it is 100% stable. Sleep will only work if the system is 100% stable. Also disconnect any external hardware like usb devices.
      Main Rig
      Gigabyte z87x-OC
      Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
      G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
      Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
      Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
      HiS ATI HD 6950
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
      Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
      Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
      Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
      CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
      Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
      EK Supremacy Cpu Block
      Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
      Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

This is a new build, everything is running stock speeds. No usb devices (except mouse & keyboard).

Comment

Have you tested for stability? Even at stock settings you may still have to tweak voltage settings. I guest running linX at max memory for 10-15 passes or Prime95 blend for 3-4 hrs to make sure the system is stable.

Also might want to look through the bios/uefi to make sure "enable wake from usb device" it might be worded differently. With Gigabyte bios it is some times needed to press ctrl+f1 at bios main screen to show hidden features.
          Main Rig
          Gigabyte z87x-OC
          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
          HiS ATI HD 6950
          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
          EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

I actually have the exact same problem on my computer with a z68 professional gen3 mobo. I posted about it on tomshardware but never got a straight answer. Are you sure your comp isnt frozen and just not getting video? Thats what I thought with mine because like you said, it would respond to the mouse and all fans would come on etc. It would just say no video imput on my screen.

Then one day I hit the capslock key and it did not turn off or on (same with numlock) so while I thought it was just my monitor/video card not waking up properly like you (because like I said, all fans/lights/etc. would come on/respond with mouse/keyboard) but my comp was actually frozen. Anyway, I had another problem with my realtek Ethernet controller not waking up (completely disappeared from device menu, no internet, no fix after reboot) which turned out to be some deep sleep issue that is apparently a known problem, when I was searching for the fix for that I came across a blog with someone else having the exact same problem with his comp not waking properly as well. here is the link: No network adapter/controller found on waking up from Sleep Mode read the paragraph under "Windows 7 does not like to wake from sleep" This guy seems to think its a win7 problem. Anyway, like you I have disabled sleep but I am definitely not happy that I can not put my computer to sleep. That post on that blog was written in 2009 so if it was a win7 problem I would think it would be fixed by now.

I dont know if ASRock reads these forums but would LOVE some insight from them on this matter. And before anyone asks, yes, win7 and all drivers are completely updated to latest versions (first thing I checked when I was troubleshooting) oh, and if ASRock does read this forum then can you guys please do a better job at keeping newr drivers/utilities etc. on your website...lol I can no longer download a single driver from ASRock official website as there are newer versions of everything so I must go to each manufacturers site to get them. (damn, sorry for the novel)

Comment

I have played around with different things with no success yet. My thought about the computer sitting at the login screen but no video displayed was not correct. I typed my password but there was no response.

I tried setting "Check Ready Bit" to disabled, no change. I am still researching what BIOS settings can impact sleep performance. It would be nice if all the settings were explained in some depth as to what they mean instead of spending hours gleaning the web for answers.

I will post any positive results when I have any.

Comment

I have been doing a lot of web research, and there seems to be a variety of causes and fixes to this problem. I am still searching for the answer that will solve the problem I am having but I have not found it yet.

Meanwhile I have the sleep set to never and I shut the machine down at night.

Comment

I can tell you with Gigabyte boards if the system is not 100% stable under stress test sleep will not work. Even at stock setting the system has to be stable.

A lot of people believe or think that using Auto for voltage settings is ok at stock speeds and the system should be stable. This can be true from system to system but overall most motherboards can not be trusted when left to Auto. Auto can tend to over volt or under volt. Mfr's like Gigabyte, ASrock, and Asus have tested alot of hardware with their boards but they can not test every combo out their. Each cpu, memory can all run differently at stock settings or Overclocked.

Also any external device can effect sleep, mostly USB devices. Make sure all drivers are fully up to date for these devices or make sure they are disconnected from the system before entering sleep.

With all that being said it could still come down to a bios issue. Try with all power saving settings enabled and disabled trying one at a time.

Which brings me to my last statement If you say your system is 100% stable at stock speeds and you have no external devices connected you might have to contact ASrock directly and give them a detailed list of all your hardware and all the settings you have tried so they can try to reproduce the problem and can try to fix it.
                  Main Rig
                  Gigabyte z87x-OC
                  HiS ATI HD 6950
                  CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                  Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                  EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Well, here we are 8 months later and this issue is still not resolved. Since my earlier posts my PC would randomly freeze, had to do a hard reset when it happened. I usually notice it playing COD4 online, but it also hung a couple of times using Pinnacle Studio (video capture/edit/render) software. I just upgraded the bios to 2.10. I don't know if it has fixed the freezing issue, but it did change the sleep behavior. No, it does not wake up, but it now displays a login screen, but the PS2 keyboard does not work. Oh well.

Comment

First time I have seen this thread, and it immediately reminded me of the wake from Sleep issue commonly seen on Intel P67 chipset boards, and other 6 series chipset boards. How is that related to X79? Simply because socket 2011 CPUs at this time are Sandy Bridge architecture CPUs, not Ivy Bridge, and the X79 chipset is related to the other Intel 6 series chipsets, not the other Intel 7 series chipsets.

Your symptoms sound identical to mine, the PC starts when first started out of Sleep, or seems to. No video becomes active, although all the PCs fans are running. OS drive activity was questionable. A forced shutdown and restart would in some cases bring up a login screen, and a resumption of the desktop as normally seen on a wake from Sleep.

I have an ASUS P67 board, from early-mid 2011, that cannot wake from Sleep successfully, with a few exceptions. Short term Sleep's of less than ~1/2 hour can work, but that is not very useful. To this day no BIOS/UEFI or other fix has been found. Some users of my P67 board reported that Sleep did work.

The suggested fixes were disabling PLL Overvoltage in the BIOS, which did not work for me. Another was setting a positive CPU offset voltage. The strangest one was the claim that the temperature of the PC when woke from Sleep mattered, if it was warmer, it worked. IMO, that just indicated the level of desperation trying to debug this issue.

One of the best clues found involved the power supply being used. It seemed that cheaper, low end PSs worked better than high end models. The theory was the time it took for the PS's "Power Good" signal to the board was out of spec, being to slow. I found Windows Event Log entries that seemed to back up this notion, they said a device did not respond within a specified period. As I recall, it was over 500 milliseconds.

I also found an Intel document not meant for the public that discussed an issue with the 6 series chipsets (not the SATA failure issue), but of course I can't find it now, it's on a back up drive. Not that it had a fix.

This is the first time I've heard about this issue with X79 boards, interesting, but I do feel your pain...

Comment

Working...
                      X