Asrock Z68 Pro 3 Overclock Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asrock Z68 Pro 3 Overclock Help

Z68 Pro3-M, i2600K, Corsair H60 cooler Gskill 1600 7-8-7-24 runing stable a 44 multiplier with a manual voltage offset of .040. Temps hover in the 65C range on Blended Prime test.

Initially I could not get it over 42 no mater what but after I replaced my Kingston hyperX Ram with the GSkill I was able to get over the hump. I first bumped the multiplier to 43 and ran Prime for a couple of hours. Than I just bumped it again to 44 with no changes to voltages (all AUTO) but got a crash after 14 min. I started tweaking the voltage offset and got much better results. Still testing and tweaking but:

What I currently have as stable configs are
    44X with a manual voltage offset of 0.040
    45X with a manual volatge offset of 0.050 - only tested for 1 hr

Now to my question/oddity
    While runing Prime test I was looking at CPUID for applied voltage and multiplier. I noticed that whe runing with the 44X multiplier the processor was actually jumping between 41 and 44 but staying at 44 most of the time.
    When runing Prime test with the 45X setting the processor was jumping between 39 and 45 (wider range) and staying at 45 only about 20% of the time. Just for grins I ran a video encoding test using Handbreak and indeed the setting at 44 finished quicker then the setting at 45. What's up with that?

Comment

If your multipliers are changing under load, you need to go into the BIOS and increase your short and long power limits, as well as the core power limit. I can't remember the exact setting name, but it's right around where you set the CPU multiplier. Mine are at 150, 175, and 175 respectively.

Comment

Raising the power limits has completly stabilized the multiplier even under heavy loads. Thanks.

With these settings I am now runing stable for 6 hr Blended Prime test
        Multiplier: 45
        Manual Voltage Offset: .070
        Power Limit 170

The max temp during the 6 hr was 74C and the core voltage was around 1.32.
        The temp seems a bit high but I have everything cramed in a small M-ATX case. I might play with the colling configuration a bit before I attempt to go higher.

Z68 Pro3-M, 2600K, Corsair H60 cooer, GSkill 1600 7-8-7-24 1.6V, Seasonic X 650 PSU

Comment

small tip:
          If you load up the 4.6 ghz overclock,save it and then repost and enter the bios,you should be able to see the short and long duration power settings u might need.
          ie
          If I put uefi settings on all default (max overclock 3.7ghz)and then switch to manual cpu settings the short and long duration values set by the board will appear.
          In my case that is :
          short duration :110w
          long duration:90w

If you load up 4.6 or 4.8(if it will post) autooverclock and then enter uefi and change to manual cpu multiplier setting,you will be able to see the power the board applies for higher overclocks.
          In my case :
          short duration:216W
          long duration:190W
          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
          http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
          X