Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Pro 3 Overclock Help

Hi Guys

Has anyone out there overclocked there Asrock Z68 Pro 3 Motherboard,I'm having problems getting this to run overclocked I'm having to put a lot of volts through it to get it stable. Any help would be much Appreciated

Re: Asrock Z68 Pro 3 Overclock Help

like all of these posts ,it helps if you put in your full system specs,what cpu,what overclocks youve tried,volts you use ,temps at a particular speed and v,bios version etc.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Sorry guys I should have said what I was using. I'm using a i7-2600k in winddow7. I want to push it to about 4.5GHz To 4.6GHz,at the moment I have it running at 4.5GHz but its not very stable,and to get to that I need to run it at 1.380v and I am a little worried about over volting it. Most people don't seem to use anywhere near the volts I am to reach 4.5GHz

Comment

1. take it that nearly all i5/i7 2000k cpu's should be able to reach 4.4-4.6 ghz
        How much voltage you need seems to be cpu dependent.

2.Its from 4.6-5k that the voltage and cpu temps jump a lot more.

3. Ive no idea what your memory,psu etc is ,or if the board has auto overclock settings.

However to cut it short for 4.8ghz i need 1.395v base and 1.48v under turbo stress testing , peerhaps I could tweak to use less , but why bother ,temps are about the same as my old 4.0ghz max overclock on my Q8400.
        This is pretty much in line with the boards auto overclock for different speeds with slight variations.#

Im not going to link my recent posts but if you check thru them you will find screenshots and stuff ....Ive been running this sort of speed since february on a b2 and replacement b3 board.

Personally I think if your cpu doesnt go over the intel 1.52 v at max load/turbo boost and max temps are manageable,like <80C Im not too worried.
        5ghz I go over 80C and doesnt seem worth it.
        Last edited by kick; 06-17-2011, 05:02 PM.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Not sure what Im doing wrong,but i just cant get this to work. Im now using 1.395v and running at 4.4GHZ and the thing still keeps crashing all over the place, Who every said clocking a SB was easy was well off the mark

Comment

Any response will be just guesswork.
            You dont say what changes u made if any, or what your system specs are.
            Are u using a gx card even? or just running off the cpu.If you are using a gx card is it a hi power draw one.
            What are your voltages like when testing 4.2/4.3/4.4 etc etc.

As Ive posted before , I need llc 3 or a higher than standard offset voltage changes to the automatic asrock 4.8ghz overclock on my p67 extreme 6
            I also use a slightly higher than base 99.8 clock.100.5
            What is your highest tested totally stable overclock.
            See what the board applies for all the settings for that and how much extra v it applies for 4.4,do u use pll overvolt ,if its in bios?
            What temps are u getting at 4.4 ,what temps are u getting at 4.2/4.3.

Downoad coretemp and see what VID is indicated, its not the same as a fixed VID but does give an indication of the minor power fluctuations need.Mine goes up to1.5012v ie "kick,you could need 1.5012v for 4.825ghz" while running,that is if you take the highest reading of a varying VID as the maximum voltage you COULD need for a particular turbo speed.

Its possible the cpu wont exceed a 4.2-4.3ghz stable,but you need to test things and provide data otherwise you will just get a guesswork response.
            For example my auto oc for 4.6gives core voltage of 1.365v approx and offset of .075.
            For 4.8 1.395v approx and offset of .090.
            For 5ghz(manual)!have to use 1.43 approx and allow a max of 1.52 short term,but its not worth the side effects,noise and heat.

Other posters like Raider seem to be operating on a much lower cpu v using manual bios tweaks,but he could just have a v good cpu.
            Mine wont hold 4.8ghz under full testing with the auto overclock.
            Ive had to make some adjustments ,as above.
            Have you tried running on a fixed rather than an offset voltage?What is the max offset voltage shown if you apply the 4.4 autooverclock.I think I checked mine once and it was .040v, I forget what the v shown in bios was at but probably it was ahh nm ill go look :)

EDIT:its 1.33 approx

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.4std overclock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	751434

I never really tried 4.4 ..as you can see its much cooler/lower voltages than my 4.8(if you check thru my other posts for screenshots).
            Notice also how low the VID is ,it would read 1.5012 if I was testing my 4.8 settings.
            This is from the standard auto 4.4 overclock..except for fan settings.

Much cooler and lower voltages even tho it was only a 5 min test .. I know it wont get much hotter /need more volts.

Get absolutely stable on your 4.2,
            Check what settings are applied for 4.6 if u can get it to post into bios for that then perhaps apply those settings to your 4.4 oclk.

Check out articles like this one
            How to Overclock the Intel Core i5-2500K | bit-tech.net

Yes I know there is no asrock board mentioned specifically,perhaps you can find a similar guide/review for a z68 and 2600k.

"Johnny 5's need input"
            Last edited by kick; 06-19-2011, 03:52 AM.
            Current Systems:

Comment

Hi

The highest tested overclock is 4.2 but that was using the onboard oc, but the temps on that where hitting 76,so I don't want to push it any higher. It looks like the board is giving the CPU to much power. I have been using the Fixed mode to over clock the board,should I be using the offset mode ? Any overclock I do only locks the PC up so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong,I have been messing with this for a week now and I'm getting nowhere fast, My power supply is a Corsair 620 watts and I'm using a old ATI Radeon HD 3850 512meg card,and Corsair XMS3 8 Gigs that has been tested and working fine

Comment

Still v short on detail..nm

afaik there isnt much difference between the core V needed for 2600k or 2500k overclocks in general.
                However people do say that its very dependent on the particular cpu "batch" yours comes from.

Another consideration is the pro 3 boards are supposed to be crappier than say the extreme boards,vrm not as good etc,but that may just be marketing

Its a pity u dont give more detail on your 4.2 auto overclock .Like what is the cpu voltage shownwhen u load and save the overclock and go back into bios again.

What is the voltage offset shown when you are in windows,open up axtu and check under "overclocking" it will show the offset there.

The temp u are getting at 4.2(auto) seems hi for 4.2 what test are u using? intel burn/linpac,prime,occt?

What is your cooling like what is the idle temp of mbrd and cpu?

I get 75-like 80 on a warm day/extended test run at 4.8.
                5.0 it will go over 80 fairly fast ,Ive never tested it to see what max temps would be before it shut down/speedstepped.

Id be interested to see if your auto volts are at or below mine at 4.4(should be less) if they are and your case and cpu cooling is good perhaps the chip wont do much over 4.3?and is getting "hot from strain".

I dont know whether auto voltages are the same for all asrock 2000k boards or whether there is some VID reading by the bios from the cpu chip

There is also the max cpu power and the long and short max duration for turbo mode cpu power setting.

For the autooverclocks of 4.6 and 4.8 I get short duration of 218w,long duration 190w max time 1 sec.

218 w is pretty close to the maximum output of my cpu supply anyway ,Im not sure if the incredibly clever asrock board measured this :) or whether thats standard setting for the overclocks..most likely the latter.
                If you consider that an 18A supply rail for the cpu is pretty common.18Ax12v=yeh u got it 216w v close to 218.

You can check things like that by loading up the overclock then clicking on the box to adjust it..it will show u the power limit its using,and yes it does change from defaults.

Some clockers on other forums adjust these power settings to like 300 and 250 but , you should check around ..overclocking the 2500k and 2600k articles..articles overclocking the 2600k .
                Articles and posts clocking 2000k cpus with asrock boards.Reviews of asrock p67 and z68 boards will all be using 2000k processors and doing some oc tests.
                Altho i did see one "reviewer" early on who didnt realise u needed both a p67 and 2000k cpu to test the overclocking :)

offset..I believe raider runs his cpu at 5.Ghz using 1.33v and I think its offset,but Im not sure .He does post on other forums.
                I dont know what his offset and therefore max voltage is .
                mine is: 1.39v + .095(offset) for 4.8ghz (llc3) which woks out approx correct in testing max Vcore goes 1.47-1.48.
                Last edited by kick; 06-20-2011, 07:04 AM.
                Current Systems:

Comment

This is the best I have had so far,reset the bios and just changed it to 4.2GHz and its working ok so far. The voltage is left on Auto. Tried for 4.3GHz,but I just get a blue screen

Comment

another poster with a z68 isnt getting over 4.2-4.3 either.
                    Anyway
                    those screenshots are both taken with prime 95 running?

If so the voltages and temps dont seem so bad but I cant see your offset voltage.That would be under the overclocking tab of axtu.You dont have to be testing or anything to see it.

My board doesnt have a 4.3Ghz /43 auto overclock setting, does yours?

If the 4.3 or 4.4 isnt firing up/booting change the llc to :
                    once again I only have 5 llc settings,ive heard z68 boards have 10?

try llc 3 or say lvl 6 if you have 10 dont use above llc 2 or 4 (if 10 lvls for now)

If that doesnt work try an offset voltage .020v higher than what is shown for 4.2 auto , perhaps up to .050v in stages and check.

see how that goes .
                    Or a combination of llc on lvl 3 and offset v.
                    and if u get a good post on 4.4 test it.

The other thing is your dram v is that what it auto applies?
                    Its kinda on the upper edge.Hey while all this is going on maybe check out if there are any new bios releases etc.
                    Current Systems:

Comment

This thread is very interesting to me. I have the Z68 Pro3 and a 2500K. My overclock is rock stable at 4.2 GHz with stock voltages. I only increased the multiplier.

However, nothing I did could get me to even a slightly higher 4.3 GHz overclock. Auto on 4.3, even with the much higher voltages, would fail the Intel stress test after a minute or so. Manually adjusting various settings didn't help. Is anyone getting much higher than 4.2 with this board?

I'm on the 1.20 BIOS by the way.

Comment

My multiplier in CPU-Z keeps changing all the time.is that normal

Comment

Originally posted by donkey View Post
                          My multiplier in CPU-Z keeps changing all the time.is that normal
                          Multiplier changes are normal under varying loads. Initially, my multiplier was changing under the stress test, which shouldn't have been happening. I had to up the Max CPU Power BIOS settings to fix that.

Comment

I just read that its normal for it to do that while been tested under prime95

Comment

My overclock/overclocks do not drop multiplier when running prime or other stress tests the 4.6 or 4.8 ones anyway.

The idea is to have your multiplier at max all the time under load.Whether its prime 95 or anything else..

I can list settings where I have a x48 multiplier , but under load it drops to 43 at times.Thats of no interest to me personally.I just want things to hold max at whatever multiplier i set.

If its going to drop to 43 well I might as well go for settings that give me 43 no matter what.
                              Does this make sense? if not nps.
                              My rxperience is..if you move off the autoclocks.u will get speedstep speed culling.
                              Get an auto overclock working .then cut voltages if u can.
                              Its like Ive said before.
                              Asrock isnt going to provide auto overclocks that will make your cpu burn up..why would they..mass cpu failures would only hurt them.

Their auto overclocks may provide more voltage and power than u actually need , but thats another q and u might be able to "back off " the asrock settings.

If over 1.5v isnt being applied to your cpu and your Temperatures dont go crazy why worry too much as long as it boots/runs ok.
                              Last edited by kick; 06-20-2011, 06:42 PM.
                              Current Systems:

Comment

Working...
                              X