No announcement yet.

Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme Tuner ASRock IES: Is it a solution?

I also have your own problem temporarily solved by setting the vCore to 1.190v.

I noticed that the program Extreme Tuner ASRock IES Utilities is the function (INTELLIGENT ENERGY SAVER) ... I was wondering:

Enabling this feature has the same energy savings of not fixed vCore?
    It could be the solution?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Ideandro; 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Re: Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

Could it be that the Asrock Z68 Professional Fatal1ty gen3 has the same issues as the mainboards mentioned in this thread?

I've assembled the following system:

Board: Asrock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3
      PSU:OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
      CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 Boxed
      MEM: F3-10666CL9Q-32GBXL (32gb G-Skill)
      Video: Onboard (through CPU)
      Nics:
      2 x Realtek PCIe GBE Family (Onboard)
      Intel Pro/100+ Dual (two ports) (PCI)

SATA/SAS:
      Intel Desktop Chipset (onboard, raid capable, max 6 devices, 2x6gpbs, 4x3gbps)
      Asmedia controller (onboard, nonraid, max 4 devices, 6Gbps)
      Areca ARC-1222 (8X SAS RAID PCI-E x8) 2x SFF-8087 (max 8 drives)

Harddisks:

- Crucial m4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB (SSD, attached to Intel Desktop Chipset controller) (System drive)
      - 4 x SAMSUNG SpinPoint T166 HD501LJ 16mb 500 GB SATA (Raid-5, attached to Intel Desktop Chipset Controller)
      - 6 x DH072BB978 HP 72GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD (Raid-5, attached to Areca)

Also 2 external usb drives and a couple of external SATA docks which are attached through an esata bracket to the Asmedia controller.

The reason for this build is a Hyper-V test environment, in Server 2008 R2, running 24/7.

Strange things have been happening since i've been assembling this rig;

I've had two cases of the rig being totally dead when I woke up in the morning (within one week). Fans and PSU are still running, but screen is black. Only a reset helps. Both times DR debug gave Error 45 which apparently has something to do with memory. The first time a complete power shutdown helped. The second time the memory error kept popping up. I powered it down completely again, and pressed hard against the dimms. It seemed they were well seated, but still, after I powered up again the code 45 error was gone. Another strange thing happened though after that second failure; Back in windows my USB drives were gone... I did attach those usb 2.0 drives to usb 3.0 ports, thinking everything was supposed to be backwards compatible. I also noticed that some "Usb Root Hubs" were missing. After installing the newest ASM1042 drivers (I originally used the drivers from Asrock website, newer drivers we're avaiable through drivestation) the root hubs came back up and so did my USB drives...

To be on the safe side though, I applied the following changes to my system since above occurences;

Changed Vcore to fixed 1.300 in bios
      Changed DRAM voltage to fixed 1.5v in bios
      Changed Load Line Calibration from 5 to 3 in bios
      Disabled USB 3.0 in bios and attached my drives to USB 2.0 ports.

I can accept that my memory may be faulty, and i'm still searching for a tool which I can run overnight. Is memtest68+ an option? On the other hand, after seeing this thread, it might as well be an Asrock Z68 chipset issue.

I'm gonna leave the rig running like configured above, and hopefully it will be stable for a while. Problem is that I changed a lot at once, so if it's stable like this, I'm not gonna know which change made it stable ;) Therefore: If I don't get a freeze/black screen of death in the next month I'm gonna reactivated USB 3.0 and attach one of the USB drives to it. I know 2.0 disks don't really get faster by using 3.0, but it's supposed to work.. And in the future I might wanna use my 3.0 ports...
      Last edited by FeakNL; 01-17-2012, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Re: Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received --- FIXED

Hi everybody, this is my first post, I've just signed up to share what seems to be the final solution to this problem. Briefly I've just followed the asrock tech assistance suggestion: I've installed the L1.60G version of the BIOS (from here: ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme4 > Download) and the result is that in one week of moderate use (1-2hours per day) I've never experienced any BSOD. I've noticed that another user posted this solution (referring to L1.60B and L1.60G), I haven't tested the L1.60B.

Comment

Hi FreakNL (or anyone else who has an insight).

I also use the Asrock Z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3. Curious how your system is fairing?

I built my system about 7 months ago, and had a discrete video card from the get go. About a week ago I sold that card, and noticed the BSOD error within a day after having removed the video card from my system.

I see Asrock has a beta BIOS on their site for this board, though from it's brief description, I'm not sure it addresses this problem.

Would dig hearing if your system has been stable, if you tried the beta BIOS, talked with Asrock, or any other developments.

Cheers.

Originally posted by FeakNL View Post
          Could it be that the Asrock Z68 Professional Fatal1ty gen3 has the same issues as the mainboards mentioned in this thread?

* Trimmed *

Comment

@Antani: you are wrong.

Asrock simply cannot design the power distribution. It's that simple.
            Take a look on the power consumption for the new boards.

Z68 Extreme 4 is a very good spec'ed board at a very good price.
            That's not enough though.

I'm never going to buy Asrock again. It's that simple.
            I thought they've evolved but I was wrong.

Comment

I can confirm that this "bug" occurs on my Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 too. I'm gonna try to set vcore at 1,2

Comment

Unfortunately I can confirm the bug on my ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 (purchased July 2011):

Intel i5-2500K
                2 x 4GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

Problems started when I removed my graphics card (Sapphire x1950xt) in January. I did this around the time I decided to buy an SSD, so I experienced the bug with my old installation on the HDD (some Seagate Barracuda 250GB) and then also on the SSD (Crucial m4 128GB).

I should mention that my board also showed the "Error! System cannot locate HECI protocol" bug for several months, removing the CMOS battery as suggested by ASRock support didn't help. And I once tried to update the UEFI from 1.30 to the then current version: UEFI Update Screen said: "Programming succeeded....", so everything looked good, but afterwards the board did not get beyond "0x19" on the onboard display. (The manual says it stands for "Pre-memory South Bridge initialization is started") However, had to send the UEFI chip to ASRock in the Netherlands, they reprogrammed it and sent it back.

When I mentioned this thread here, ASRock support answered that this bug has not been reported this much in Europe and therefore they can't say much about it. They suggested to set the iGPU voltage to 1.25V, or updating to beta BIOS 1.60B or G. (Yes, of course, I will try to update the UEFI again....). Here is the original reply (in german).

In the end, ASRock Support told me to return the board to my retailer. After I told my retailer about all the problems, they said they will try to get a refund from ASRock - after 10 days I had my money back, thanks to my retailer.

So when I look back now, I think my board was pretty fuc*ed up from the beginning. I'll probably go now for an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, and I'll avoid ASRock in the future for sure.

Comment

Just built Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 paired with i5-2500K. For now using stock settings and on-board video, ACHI mode with a Samsung 830 64GB SSD OS drive and Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM drive and an LG DVD---that's it. 16GB Kingston HyperX 1333 DDR3. Made sure when I bought the RAM it was 1.5.

The board came with BIOS version 1.00. Went to Asrock site and downloaded the newest 1.20 version. Formatted flash drive with FAT32 and used the F6 Instant Flash utility. On reboot it BSODed. The Stop screen went by so fast I could not read it. I got a blinking cursor on the right. Powered off as Windows 7 Ultimate x64 could not load after several reboots. Powered it off, loaded defaults and on cold boot same thing.

I have been building desktops for 15 years and have never had a problem updating a BIOS and certainly never received a BSOD after flashing! The only solution was to pull the CMOS battery, download and flash back to 1.0. After reboot Windows loaded normally and nothing was in Event Viewer. Based on the description in this thread the BSOD was the clock interrupt problem? I have read many articles about this issue. Has it been addressed?

Has a solution been figured out besides upping the vcore? I shouldn't have to up the voltage at stock speeds. I got this chip & mobo so I could do a mild overclock after burn in and having to up the vcore at stock speeds is not okay.

Thanks in advance.

Suggestions?
                  Last edited by J.A.G.; 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A.G. View Post
                    Just built Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 paired with i5-2500K. For now using stock settings and on-board video, ACHI mode with a Samsung 830 64GB SSD OS drive and Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM drive and an LG DVD---that's it. 16GB Kingston HyperX 1333 DDR3. Made sure when I bought the RAM it was 1.5.

The board came with BIOS version 1.00. Went to Asrock site and downloaded the newest 1.20 version. Formatted flash drive with FAT32 and used the F6 Instant Flash utility. On reboot it BSODed. The Stop screen went by so fast I could not read it. I got a blinking cursor on the right. Powered off as Windows 7 Ultimate x64 could not load after several reboots. Powered it off, loaded defaults and on cold boot same thing.

I have been building desktops for 15 years and have never had a problem updating a BIOS and certainly never received a BSOD after flashing! The only solution was to pull the CMOS battery, download and flash back to 1.0. After reboot Windows loaded normally and nothing was in Event Viewer. Based on the description in this thread the BSOD was the clock interrupt problem? I have read many articles about this issue. Has it been addressed?

Has a solution been figured out besides upping the vcore? I shouldn't have to up the voltage at stock speeds. I got this chip & mobo so I could do a mild overclock after burn in and having to up the vcore at stock speeds is not okay.

Thanks in advance.

Suggestions?
                    EDIT: Was able to use instant flash and upgrade to latest 1.20 BIOS. Reformatted flash drive for FAT32 again, downloaded another copy of the BIOS and worked perfectly. My guess is the first time it was corrupted? Working great now.

Comment

There is a beta bios L2.03 avail. from Asrock. Can anyone report whether this could fix this BSOD/freeze problem by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by dolpli View Post
                        There is a beta bios L2.03 avail. from Asrock. Can anyone report whether this could fix this BSOD/freeze problem by chance?
                        Can you give us the link for that BIOS ?
                        Maybe it's a new version adding Ivy Bridge support ?

Comment

Yes, it's a new version adding Ivy Bridge Support.

I read in some forums that there are more tweaking parameters in the BIOS.

the link is http://www.asrock.com/mb/beta.tw.asp?Model=Z68 Extreme4

Comment

Originally posted by dolpli View Post
                            No, it doesnt fix it at default (just flashed) settings as mine BSOD within a day.

Unfortunately I'd forgotten what settings I used previously to fix it and didnt note them down beforehand so had to read through all of this thread again. Not sure I did the same this time but working so far.

Comment

What did you do? Can you please list the changes again here?
                              Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by jayc72 View Post
                                What did you do? Can you please list the changes again here?
                                Thanks in advance.
                                I RMA'd my Z68 Extreme 4. Now I don't get the "Clock Interrupt" Blue Screen anymore. However, the onboard LAN doesn't work on the new board. Rather than request another RMA, I use PCI LAN card. I continued to get Blue Screens for a while (not "Clock Interrupt"ones) until I turned the onboard LAN off in the BIOS (under South Bridge Configuration).

I think it's finally working. Now I want to update to a FATAL1TY Z77 Professional

Comment

Working...
                                X