ASRock N68-S UCC won't recognize Nvidia 8800GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock N68-S UCC won't recognize Nvidia 8800GT

Hi there, wanted to ask here first before I made any other decisions.

I recently purchased a custom computer with a ASRock N68-S UCC motherboard and for whatever reason my new PNY Nvidia 8800GT graphics card isn't being recognized by the computer or by the cd supplied by it or eveng showing up in the device manager. The Card runs fine I can hear the fan and I connected the 6pin connector to the power supply. I just wanted to make sure that this card is compatible with the motherboard because I've tried a lot of things to try to fix it all which failed like installing the drivers from the nvidia website, updating the bios, enabling pci-e as the primary graphics adapter, and disabling the onboard graphics card.

I asked another forum and they're pretty sure that my weak Logisys ps480d 480W 20/24 is the problem in that it it's took weak to run the card.

Before going out and buying a new power supply I want to make sure with you guys that this graphics card IS compatible with the mother board and the most likely reason that the computer can't recognize the graphics card is because of the power supply. Thanks in advance.

I have Windows Xp sp3 32bit
    Last edited by zerosaber007; 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM.

Re: ASRock N68-S UCC won't recognize Nvidia 8800GT

I have the same problem with this mobo and the ATI 5770. my psu is more than adequate. i would appreciate a solution, but i think the only answer would be a bios update from asrock.

Comment

Glad to know that there's someone else who has the same problem as I do with this motherboard. It seems more likely the problem lies with the motherboard rather than the psu. Anyone knowledgeable on this particular motherboard I would like to know if it's the motherboard that's the issue with these cards not being recognized or if there's anyway the PSU is at fault? Thanks...

Comment

It's not the psu. I did some tests by building a more power hungry pc with my old parts and it worked fine. it's definitely a compatibility issue with higher end cards - which is a shame because it's a pretty good motherboard all in all. i'm impressed it can support x6 processors.

My 3870 is working fine and it uses nearly as much power (actually it uses more in 2D as the 5770 has better energy efficiency features.

send an e-mail to asrock and see if they're open to a bios update. that's what i did. no answer as yet though

Comment

Got my answer...

Dear Peter,

Thanks for contacting ASRock.

After we test, N68C-S UCC can support VGA card HD5770 with BIOS P1.40.

Thanks for your e-mail.

Have a nice day
          ASRock TSD

i'm wondering if it's because i have ddr2 memory installed. that's literally the last thing i can think of to get this to work.

Comment

Well I e-mailed Asrock and got my answer

Hi,

Please understand mainboard came in with 1X PCIE express X16slot. Since your new video card is running newer version of PCIE 2 16x. We believe there is conflict between those two devices.

I snooped around various forums and found out that the 8800gt has had problems with asus, asrock and various other motherboards with a compatibility issue. Even though 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.0 there are motherboards that just won't take 2.0 motherboards. So im SoL I'm considering downgrading to a 8600 or a 7800 rather then get another motherboard. not sure what your problem is exactly Pete since your card is compatible with the mobo well gl anyway...

Comment

I was just browsing through the forum as iv just had to change my MoBo from a ALiveNF7G to a N68C-S UCC because the darn PCIe slot on the NF7G nodded out :( and i want some info on the UCC on this MoBo (its not in my bios ?).

Anyhow i just happened across you post and just wanted to say that i have a 9500GT installed and working on this MoBo. I did have a few problems to begin with as it wouldn't recognize the on-board vid output at the same time as the PCIe (i use a duel monitor setup). In the end i found that i had to set the BIOS Primary monitor as the on-board vid before it would work. If i set the PCIe card as the primary i cant get anything from the on-board.

I know its not really of much help but you might have a play in that area of the bios & if anyone knows why i cant set my PCIe as the primary vid output and have a duel output id be interested.

Comment

JackDinn,

I'm having the same problem you, N68C-S is not recognized 8600gt,9500gt.

You could copy and upload your BIOS.

sorry my english is not very well

Comment

Hi, not quite sure what your saying.

I have up-graded the bios to P1.40 from P1.00 but it makes no difference i will just have to live with my on board output as the primary, its not a major problem although it would be if i only wanted to use the PCIe card on a single display but in my case im using both outputs.

Comment

hi,

My N68-S is not recognized 8600gt or secon video .
                    I have up-graded the bios to P1.40 but 8600gt is not recognized.
                    MS Windows Xp by on board output not recognized 8600gt .

You could copy and upload your BIOS for my, you system recognized not primary video but secon video My N68-S not.

Comment

All i can suggest is to set your primary adapter in the bios to Onboard

Advanced/Chipset Settings/Primary Graphics Adapter = "OnBoard"

thats the only way i can get windows to recognize my PCIe card
                      Attached Files

Comment

I got a similar reply concerning my ASRock 945GCM-S. The tech support told me that PCI-E 2.0/2.1 graphics cards will not work in my motherboard. However, a beta BIOS for this motherboard has surfaced, which allows PCI-E 2.1 to work. I suppose they just can't invest the time to produce new BIOS for every single PCI-E 1.X motherboard!

Comment

JackDinn

I am testing now , Not recognized.

what parameters you modified of BIOS defalt?

Trevor Harris

Good answer , we can only hope.

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I had to join because of a problem I'm experiencing in my new Asrock n68-s ucc Motherboard. I installed an add on vga (XFX 8600gt) on this motherboard and there is No display on the screen. I tried setting up the primary display on the bios to PCIE, PCI, or Onboard, still no results. THe onboard vga works though. I dont know how to make this work! I tried my friend's gt240 on this board, and it workd ok! My 8600gt works well on other computer, so Im pretty sure that its not the problem. . I hope I posted on the right forum.. Need help ASAP... THanks

Comment

To tell the truth im not 100% sure exactly what i did to get it to work !

Firstly Im using duel monitors, so i can see what both outputs are doing
                              Second I already had windows installed along with the drivers for my 9500GT

I had to fiddle about loads and cant remember exactly all the things i tried.

However try :-
                              • plug in the pcie card
                              • set the bios to the onboard vid output,
                              • plug in a monitor to the onboard output,
                              • install windows (or whatever) ,
                              • install the drivers for the PCIe card (PCIe card should already be plugged into the mobo),
                              • plug another monitor into the pcie output & reset comp.

Check the display properties & device manager for the secondary vid output.

good luck,

Comment

Working...
                              X