Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Motherboard

Hi all,

I've got a new MoBo, CPU, Memory and Graphics card. I want to move my old HDD to the new stuff. I've read the instructions on how to do this: 1): Insert Windows CD and then let Autorun start. 2): Click Install Windows XP. 3): In the Windows Setup window, click Upgrade (Recommended) in the Installation Type list; then click "Next" and follow the instructions on the screen until the computer begins to restart. 4): Just as the computer begins to restart, turn off the computer. 5): Replace the existing motherboard with the new motherboard. 6): Turn on the computer, and then allow the upgrade to continue. 7): After the upgrade is completed, reinstall any service packs or hotfixes that you had previously installed.

It seems easy enough, but I've got a few questions:

1) After the Upgrade, am I going to have to redo *all* the tweaks to the registry (they're numerous
    MoBo: GA-M68SM-S2
    VidCard: EVGA 1GB 9500GT
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 245
    RAM: 2GB PC28500

Re: Replacing Motherboard

jpChris,

There is too much going on. Many times you can switch a mainboard without a problem. If there is a problem use UBCD4Win and run the app that adds the drivers and updates the registry for other mainboards. Complete rebuilds are accomplished with ease. If you are unwilling to learn/create the UBCD, go to ms kb and look up the actions the ub app does (an article explains what should be merged into the registry).

You also need to be using Service Pack Three. Whatever your grandmother told you about it not working was untrue. The possibility of a small loss of speed from the additions is outweighed by the stability and security (an important part of staying updated...) gained.

Brain damage results from seven steps. Here's a revision:

1) Install upgrades
    2) Use computer. If fail, use LiveCD, fix drivers/reg with one click, then, use computer.

Comment

Working...
    X