Windows XP update problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows XP update problems

I think i see my mistake. I don't think i put subinacl in the same folder as reset. I will do that next time i'm on the desktop and see what comes of it.
    If I get a flash across the screen like the last time i tried, I will try to get a screenshot to see if there's an error message on there or something.
    I agree that there's no way 58% should be "excellent"...i know if i got a 58% on my biology exams, i'd be pretty pissed lol.

Comment

You INSTALL Subinacl, then it creates the folder I showed you a image of, then you put the cmd file into that folder

Yeah, it will just flash on any system for a second or two and that is it. If the cmd file is in the wrong spot and or subinacl is not installed.

Comment

I think we're in business. The cmd file is running well as I see many things scrolling quickly and occassionally it will go to a red box at the top with failed/error keys and it will look like this:
        Attached Files

Comment

So once this is done, I reboot the computer and try to install SP2 or 3 again?
          (apparently SP3 is not a necessary download, so i could stick with SP2 I think)

Comment

SP3 is what I would install, it contains SP2 plus all the updates you plan to install after SP2 anyway.

Hmm, hope all goes well, never seen any red before!!!

Comment

Oh, I got plenty of red like the above, but so far, so good. I have been able to download the newest version of msn messenger when before i got a locked key error and SP2 installed no problem. I probably should have done three, but i already had 2 downloaded and just needed to install it and i couldn't wait to see if it actually worked.
              I'll be sure to holler back if anything runs amok, but for now I think i can say thanks so much for sticking with me on this epic computer problem. lol I definitely couldn't have done it without you.

Comment

Awesome! Glad to see you got it done even with the RED errors!!

Ya, when ya get time you should grab SP3 anyway to make your parents PC more secure for when you are not around to do fixes. And for sure put it on Automatic updates, set to each Tuesday around whatever time you think they most often use the PC. Unless they are on dial up!! Then no automatic updates, just notify me about updates

I say Tuesdays because Microsoft releases patches/updates on the second Tuesday of each month

Comment

I doubt this is anything major, but last night when i was using my parents' computer, it was going really slow so i called up the task manager and it was pretty much stuck on 100% usage. I checked the list of processes for anything that did not look right and found what was hogging all my resources. It was called...actually i can't entirely remember it off the top of my head but i think it was like user32dll.exe or something I have never seen this process run on other computers and am wondering if it's a virus, or if it's something necessary to keep the computer running.

Comment

It is a valid process, but also can be a virus. It does sometimes use alot, just depends. If it ALWAYS does use up 100% it is likely a virus

I suggest Eset brand security products

Comment

Turns out that was just a valid process using all my resources during that one bootup for some reason.

My laptop ran into the same microsoft update problem, so i'm trying the subinacl thing again right now. I'm getting those same red boxes I showed you last time. Very odd.

Comment

Hmmm

What process is this?

*EDIT*

And can you kill it for the install process?
                        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-11-2008, 02:41 PM.

Comment

It was user32dll.exe i think, but it hasn't caused the desktop any trouble, so I'm not going to worry about it.

I am, however worried that my laptop can't install MS updates anymore. Whenever I try it just tells me "these failed to install" (with no error number) I thought perhaps it had to do something with permissions, so I tried the trick you had me do for the desktop earlier, but it doesn't seem to have worked this time.

Comment

First off, that should not be a running process at all, I looked in Several Of my XP machines

So it is likely spwyare/virus related to CallingHome.biz, can you take a picture of you FULL taskmanager in the processes tab for me with show processes from all users checked? And please stretch it out so I can see all processes, or take two images top and bottom. Just want to see some things, then I will help you remove it with hijackthis and maybe some other registry edits if you are up to that over a clean install. I highly suggest you download and install, then update and run Sypware Search & Destroy for now >>>
                            The home of Spybot-S&D!

Yeah, you should for sure get a error number. Do you have these sites added into the allowed list >>

Code:
                            http://update.microsoft.com
                            Code:
                            http://download.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
                            Code:
                            http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com   <<< My Add in to the mix
                            Code:
                            https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com   <<< My Add in to the mix
                            Code:
                            https://update.microsoft.com   <<< My Add in to the mix
                            6. Click OK two times.
                            Taken from here >>>
                            You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error 0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site

You should also attempt to install with your firewall OFF.

If all fails above, see post #6 here and try that >>
                            [Other] Windows Update - dslreports.com
                            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-11-2008, 11:09 PM.

Comment

As rule firewall and windows are friends. So that would be absolutely right way.

Comment

I'll take a look at the spyware deal when i get on my desktop probably tomorrow. I'll give you a screenshot and we'll go from there, but really everything has run smoothly for quite some time, so i'm not too worried about the ancient computer.

I'll also try to work on my laptop tomorrow, but it's late and i think i'd do something dumb if i worked on it tonight. The updates are all downloaded to my computer, but none of them will actually install.

I hope i made this clear, but i'm talking about two seperate systems right now. Perhaps I should start a seperate thread with each problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X