Windows XP update problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP update problems

So I get home from college and what did my parents get me? They sit me down by their older model dell computer with xp on it. SP 2 if you need to know. I tried updating some of the stuff on it tonight (such as msn messenger) and i tried to download/install all the windows updates. Unfortunately, on both fronts i ran into problems. My guess is there's file problems somewhere, but both things kinda just told me there's an error and I can't install this. Any ideas of where I should start looking for a fix?
    (please keep explanations simple...i don't understand much computer jargon )

Re: Windows XP update problems

If you have a Windows Install disk you can simply do a system file repair, which will Reinstall the MAIN windows files, and Uninstall all updates. That way you can simply go and reinstall them all again in prefect order (Always choose custom, and look to see if you want/need any of the extra non Important ones. There is normally drivers on not so important updates. I'd suggest you just install ALL of them

And for the future, when a update fails there is a error, and the error # is important to finding a easy fix, error # will look like this 0x8007ee2. Which is likely your issue, all you do to fix that is add some urls to the allowed site list in Internet options >>>

Add the Windows Update Web site and the Microsoft Update Web site to the Trusted Sites list
    Add the Windows Update Web site and the Microsoft Update Web site to the Trusted Sites list in Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. Click the Security tab, and then click Trusted Sites.
    4. Click Sites, and then click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
    5. In the Add this Web site to the zone box, type the following addresses, clicking Add after you type each address:
    http://update.microsoft.com
    Technology content trusted by users all around the world :: TweakTown
    6. Click OK two times.

Now On to what I mentioned, which is very simple and will take you about 10-15 minutes. DO NOT DO if you do not have a windows install disk!!!!

Push The Windows Key + R
    Then in the run box type command
    In the Command Box type the following, and yes that is a space and it is needed >>>

Code:
    sfc /scannow

Comment

I'm currently doing the sfc /scannow command with the reinstall disk. I'll let you know what comes of it when it finishes.

Comment

Just completed the scan, but currently am using my laptop, so i will try to check updates on my other computer later tonight, see if that fixed everything.

Comment

*Update*

So I think i did your file thing with the reinstall disc, but i'm not entirely sure. I stuck it in the drive and typed in sfc /scannow and let the computer do its thing. Now I just tried to install windows updates and this is what I got for an error message:
          Attached Files

Comment

That is a SP3 error, you said SP2.... What gives?

You could just do a repair install, which will leave all documents but will reinstall windows fully. So you will be closer to square one then what SFC gives you

Put the Repair Disk in and reboot and choose Boot from CD, then it will scan and find your windows installation. it will ask you if you want to install windows or do a repair install, choose R

As for the above error regardless of SP #'s it looks as if you are a guest or not a Admin of that PC, so you do not have the correct permissions

Best to try it again before doing the repair install, but this time actually login as THE ADMIN, Not a admin. There is 2 ways to do this >>>

Easiest >>>
            Right click on ''Computer -> Manage -> Local Users and Groups -> Users
            -> Rightclick Administrator -> Properties -> Uncheck ''account is disabled''.
            Then reboot and you will see Administrator as a login Choice, choose that and then update

More advanced way >>>
            1. From the Start menu, go to "All Programs", "Accessories"
            2. Right-click on "Command Prompt" and choose "Open"
            3. In the resulting Command window, run "regedit" (Or Windows Key + R And type Regedit)
            4. Create the following value, type DWORD (32 bit), value 1
            HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserLis t\Administrator
            5. From the command prompt enter: "net user Administrator /Active:yes"
            6. Reboot, and now you can logon to the Administrator account

Comment

I'll give it a try tomorrow afternoon. I got the SP3 error because I was trying to install all the windows updates (which included SP3). My computer is currently running on SP2, and I will try the reboot via disk tomorrow.

Comment

Ahh OK, wasnt sure what you meant there. I would say try the login as THE ADMIN first then if the same error you may need to do a clean repair install (Which will mean you will have to go get all your drivers again as well) Which is best to actually do After the windows updates, sometimes drivers installed cause Update installation errors.

You could also just install all updates first EXCEPT SP3 then download SP3 and install manually
                (*NOTE* You must have either Windows XP Service Pack 1a or Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed in order to install Windows XP Service Pack 3.) >>>>
                Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Which may be the better way to go about doing it on a clean install

Comment

I tried to become THE ADMIN and still ran into the same error when doing the updates, so i tried the disk repair, but when i started working on it, it asked me for the Admin password. Is there a generic password, because my parents do not recall making a password?
                  It also asks me, "which Windows installation would you like to log onto?
                  <To cancel, press ENTER>? __"
                  What should i type in here?

Comment

You are choosing the Wrong type of repair. I mean a repair install not the repair console.

Act like you are going to install, but when you get to where it shows you a windows install already on c, choose repair. There should be no pass and no questions asked.

Here is where you DO NOT Choose repair, this was likely where you went wrong. Choose "To setup Windows XP now press enter" >>>

After the above screen you will have to agree to the EULA, press F8 to agree

It should look like this when you get to the proper place, here where you see your already installed windows and ONLY here is where you choose repair (R) >>>

You Can also just put in the XP disk while in windows and double click that CD drive if it does not auto start. Then choose Install Windows XP and choose Upgrade in the next window, which will do the same repair install.

But I do suggest the Previous method over the latter

Also remember to install the Windows updates first then install your Other system drivers. You will have to probably install a few like networking and such, but leave the rest like sounds and video all that out till after you install all the MS updates
                    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-29-2008, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks a bunch, i'll give it a try tomorrow when i get off work :D

Comment

Yeap, anytime.

I thought a picture might help ya better, should have posted for you before!!! I am sorry, I forgot about XP offering you access to the Repair console before the part I was talking about, so I see why you got the password questions and all that!

Sorry, hadn't used XP in going on 1 1/2 years now, it is slipping past me. Luckily I keep a few installs of ALL systems in Vmware so I can help users with most any issue

Good luck, and be sure to post back if you have anymore issues with it, or post back with the good news

Comment

Well, I've got the repair install completed, now i'm just working on MS installations. Hopefully I don't run into any problems. So far, everything looks good.
                          I will keep you posted.

Comment

Just remember to install the Drivers last, sometimes they cause install issues. Also be sure to choose Custom at windows updates and install the additional other non critical updates. You will see some drivers there likely, dont check them until your last time around installing updates.

Comment

My first attempt was to install SP2, is that a good move? It seems like it was not because I got another "access denied" error....i'll work on it again tomorrow...i'm going to bed.

Comment

Working...
                              X