I can't stop check disk from running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't stop check disk from running

I tried to run chdisk through partion magic. It never ran. Now I can't stop it from trying to run every time the computer boots. I just now installed a new master boot record through the windows cd. This still didn't keep it from trying to run chdisk. I did run chkdisk once thinking that if it ran it would stop. WRONG.I emailed advanquest and told them what was going on and they said to run chkdisk and it would stop. It didn't. I need help. Thanks

Re: I can't stop check disk from running

Have you run the diagnostic software from the HDD manufacturer's website and see if you have a drive problem?

Windows usually only runs chkdsk when it thinks that there's a problem but usually if it keeps running it usually means that there's an error that it can't fix (this could mean either deleting the partition/s and reformating the drive if the problem is only software, but the problem may also be hardware related to the drive).

Comment

things i'd try

run msconfig and see if checkdisk is set to run in their.

unistall partition magic

it could be a HD failure as mentioned above.

does the chkdsk complete everytime or does it always find errors?
      http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

try this first

If the command chkdsk /f /r (find bad sectors, recover information from bad sectors and fix errors on the disk) is run, on the next reboot the check disk is scheduled, however you may want to cancel this check disk. To do this perform the following:

1. Run the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). You must use Regedt32 and not Regedit.exe
        2. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
        3. Change the BootExecute value from:
        autocheck autochk * /r\DosDevice\<drive letter>:
        To:
        autocheck autochk *
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Kheldar, That did the trick. You're simply BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT, HA HA Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X