new computer HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new computer HELP!

alright so ive never used anything like this before but im really desperate so here it is. I've just built a new computer hooked everything up and i can't get windows xp to boot, it begins loading then immediately says driver not found 'mscd001'. after recieving the exact same problem with multiple boot disks i updated the BIOS to the newest verson from the manufacturers website and only ran into the same problems afterwards. ok so here's a list of what in it.
    Processor- e6600 c2d
    Motherboard-p5b Deluxe wifi
    PSU-Thermaltake toughpower 650w
    Memory-Corsair xms2 ddr2 800
    Hard Disk-Seagate barracuda 7200.10 320gb SATA
    CD drive-samsung dvd+r E-IDE/ATAPI
    Graphics-x1950 radeon pro
    this is my last resort so please help! and thanks :)

Re: new computer HELP!

I take your using a win98 boot floppy?

try booting off the XP CD (setting in bios to set the first boot device to cdrom)
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

i first used the windows xp boot disk after selecting, boot from cd in the BIOS ,which didnt work.Then i updated the BIOS with a cd using the same cd drive and tried again and after that failed i got a windows 98 boot floppy which i ran after changing the BIOS to boot from floppy drive

Comment

can you try a different CDrom drive?

have you updated the firmware on the cdrom? (may be hard to do if you can't load windows)

Comment

ok so i installed the cd rom into this computer and when i put in the software that came with it an error popped up saying the cd isnt formatted for windows. im gonna try getting the firmware from the manufacturers website and maybe take my old cd drive which should be updated and try to boot windows with that. thanks for the help so far :)

Comment

nothing seems to be working... any help would be much appreciated

Comment

Is it possible that your Windows install disk is corrupted or flawed in some way? Have you tried booting from it in another machine?
              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

no, but i've used 2 different xp boot disks and a windows 98 boot floppy and they all result in the same exact problem so i ruled out it being the disk, and also i've checked and rechecked master and slave cables making sure the hard drive and the cd are both on master.

Comment

cable select would be better for HD, - they don't run at full speed unless its on cable select (seagate ones anyway)

could be a faulty IDE cable - I had that once - took me months to track down.

at this point you got try running a bare bones system, only have what you must, ie 1 ram chip, video card, HD & cdrom to try and isolate the problem.

the cdrom from your other machine didn't work?

Comment

ok ill try using just 1 ram stick(ill do it twice, once with each one) and ill try that all over again after swapping the IDE cable from this computer. that should narrow down the memory stick and the IDE cable and ive already ruled out the CD drive. Thanks for the help so far :)

Comment

no dice...

Comment

ok the next thing you could try is put the HD into your other computer and see if you can get that to install (disconnect the current HD), if it does you can swap it over to your new one after its finished the filecopy stage (should reboot) - if you leave it too late, it'll detect your other mboard and then you won't be able to swap it over without BSOD - this will let you know that the HD is good, your xp cd is good, so that probably point the finger to a dodgey mboard

Comment

the computer im using now is using hard drives with the ribbon type cable(im not sure if this is IDE) and the new one is SATA with the skinny cables

Comment

Working...
                          X