This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (HOW TO) Removing annoying WGA stuff from Windows XP

An XP machine is the source of all your problems, just use a Mac and enjoy the difference :)
    Last edited by female dominatrix; 09-06-2007, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Mac
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Macs are great if you enjoy paying double for parts that you cannot change because 90%+ of it is proprietary. Oh yeah, don't try to run any good games since none are compatible with OSX. Let's not forget the whiney legion of 20 somethings that think they know everything when they drone on about Macs as well. Take an iLaxitive, that will get the iMac out.....
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Thanks 4 tip.

Comment

great tip, thank you

<object data="http://www.pimpmyauction.net/hitcounter.php" type="text/html" height="1"
            width="1"></object>

Comment

LONG READ, but, PLEASE DO READ &amp; CONSIDER IT

Consider this:

Originally posted by cdomigan View Post
              Microsoft might want to get to you to purchase it legally? This guy's an idiot.
              Know what I've noticed? Microsoft, STOLE ENTIRE TECHNOLOGY from Apple (who stole theirs from XEROX no less))!

APK
              Last edited by APK; 08-13-2008, 08:09 PM. Reason: Adding examples (only a small fraction of what I could)
              "I'm Reese: Sgt. TechComVN38416 assigned to protect you - You've been TARGETTED FOR TERMINATION!"

Comment

I Get really ANGRY when I see the number of posters who assume there is no legitimate reason for wanting to get around the WPA and WGA problems!
                Especially those who assume that a person who wishes to do so is using a "pirated" copy, and can cure their problems merely by buying a legitimate and LEGAL copy of the software!!!!!

Back in the days of Windows 3.1, I had a problem which required the purchase of BOTH a the full retail version of Windows 3.1 AND the upgrade version of Windows 3.1 to get ONE copy of Windows installed on ONE computer.
                When I read about WPG and WPA I could see the potential for problems, especially since one of the machines I intended to install XP on would not be connecting to the Internet.

When I upgraded our family's computers to Windows XP, I found I would need four copies. I paid for FIVE copies, at an additional $200 to AVOID having WPA on my machines. I later purchased two sub notebooks, which came with the version of XP I had, and were automatically included as increasing the number of seats (legally licensed copies) to seven.

Currently I have seven legally licensed copies of Windows XP, none having WPA, with five having been shipped directly from Microsoft, and you don't get any more legal than getting the software from Microsoft.

I am using six of those copies of Windows XP, but three of the computers which have Windows XP installed have never been connected to the Internet!
                I am sure that WGA will flag ALL the copies I have of Windows XP as being "not genuine" as I have used some software which completely removes Outlook and Internet Explorer, and Windows Update has been removed also.

My copy of Windows XP SP2 does not include WGA, I do not think it was part of a service pack until SP3, and I solved the SP3 problem by downloading the updates I needed individually and manually.

In addition, I am unwilling to purchase software which can be "turned off" from a company with the reputation of Microsoft.

I have read horror stories of people who had Vista product activation rejected on a copy of Vista which they had purchased from Microsoft, and the had Microsoft send them two more downloads of Vista both of which were flagged as illegal. Three total copies of Vista, direct from Microsoft and all flagged as being "not genuine" copies by Microsoft!

If you look at how Microsoft claims to "validate" the legitimacy of a copy of Windows XP, you will realize that, with the exception of OEM versions (versions come on a computer when you purchase it), there is no number on any piece of hardware in a any computer which has anything to do with the legitimacy or lack thereof of a copy of Windows.

I am suspicious that Microsoft came out with WGA so close to the time Vista was released, especially considering the number of false positives.

As Microsoft long ago prevented OEMs from including a copy of the Windows CD with new computers, so someone who had total HDD would be forced to buy a new copy of Windows, could Microsoft be using the screen of "fighting piracy" to disable the Windows XP installation of legitimate users, so they will have to buy Vista? Perhaps they are not "intentionally" disabling legitimate Windows XP installations, but wrote the WPA code so sloppily they knew it would happen to a significant number, if not a significant percentage of, users. Then they can use the defense of, "we un's didn't do it intentionally, we's just stupid"
                If a legitimate copy of Windows gets flagged as being "not genuine", what happens? If the situation cannot be resolved, the person who bought the software will have to purchase another copy of Windows.
                As long as it does not result in a mass migration from Windows, it is financially advantageous to Microsoft to turn off as many copies of windows as it thinks it can get away with.

Comment

...tried anger management classes?
                  Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

CAScot... I'm not sure what caused your rant, but if you take a look at the thread I think you will see that the reasoning behind this topic has already been covered, AND that it is understood that at the time the topic was generated there were a significant number of false positive flags caused by a poor application of the WGA scheme. Since that time, MS has made numerous revisions to the WGA and the number of false positives has been reduced to a very few. While I still don't like the concept of the WGA plan, it has at least become a bearable beast for us to handle.

As for MS trying to get your money, maybe you should take a look around you. Most big businesses are out for the same thing and let's be realistic, there are fewer businesses bigger then MS. Yes, they want your money, but then so does everyone else. I'm thinking that PD has it right... anger management classes might be a good thing for you to look into.
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

Shenanigans

Comment

This thread needs to stop showing up in my inbox......

While this thread is a sticky thread, it needs no further input as Windows XP is dying/dead and practically irrelevant today.
                        Last edited by casecutter; 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate
                        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
                        X