This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (HOW TO) Removing annoying WGA stuff from Windows XP

You can purchase a legal Windows COA instead of downloading an illegal copy off the internet. I don't care what anyone says on this issue. I have never ever had a single issue ever from WGA on my PC. I have activated my copy of XP Home over 100 times with Microssoft due to hardware changes. I have updated my XP Home with all the updates as many times and never had an issue with WGA. While I was not happy how WGA was snuck in and contacts MS daily without user knowledge, I still stand by my feelings. If it is giving you problems, call Microsoft. If you can't call Microsoft about it, then obviously you have an illegal copy. There are many legal ways to remove WGA from a LEGAL copy. I am also kinda sad that these types of threads exist on a credible forum. And do you notice how most of the people asking have very little forum time? All they are doing is googling the topic and joining to get a quick answer to never come back and be useful again. This is basically pandering when you give them the help they need to circumvent these issues.

BUY A LEGAL COPY OF WINDOWS AND YOU WON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.

rant over..........
    Last edited by casecutter; 08-23-2006, 10:57 AM.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Where is the cheapest but legal place to get windows xp home?

Comment

Re: offline wga check

Originally posted by lesslie
        Hi,

I've got another problem with wga. I downloaded a Language Interface Pack which did not require validation check.
        When I want to install that language pack (offline) it says that my windows is not genuine and that I have to validate it first.
        None of the recent workarounds do work. What could I do to prevent the installation package of checking wga?

Greets,
        Less
        WGA has caused a lot of problems with its required validations, but it is ofr nothing more than stopping the notifications. If you don't have a valid copy of Windows, you will still need to address this issue first. If you do have a valid version, then contact Microsoft (as casecutter mentioned) and have them get you squared away.

Please note that we are not giving users a means to get around the requirement of having a legitimate version of Windows for their system. This workaround was given a "STICKY" status because of the many issues that some users have had with WGA and their very legal version of WindowsXP.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by orangutang91
          Where is the cheapest but legal place to get windows xp home?
          $81.00 at MWave

$89.99 at Newegg
          My Toys

Comment

Ok, I'll tell the whole story.

I've got a fully licensed version op XP pro but it is not in english. The installer of the language pack gives an error and requires an english windows version.
            So I installed the english version (copy) but my licence key does not work on it. And so it came that I cracked this version because I do not want to pay twice for the same product. M$ does not give any support.

Comment

The language packs put out by Microsoft *should* be available for other base languages besides English. You might try looking seeper into that portion of their website and see if they offer your language pack that is usable under the base language of your legal OS.
              My Toys

Comment

I understand Darth. I don't mean to imply you guys are condoning anything illegal. I do understand that people can have issues with valid software. But what got my blood pressure up was when you look at this thread, most of the people requesting help have the one post and it is in this thread looking for help. Now I am not against helping noobs out because that is how you get new members. But when they are looking for this kind of help, they are usually at best internet trolls looking to validate their cracked copy.

As for the person looking for help now, sounds like you bought an OEM version in the wrong language no less. If you bought the retail version, MS will definitely give you support. Unfortunately, sounds like you were looking for a deal and bought the Chinese version OEM and in the end found out that isn't a good idea. Either bite the bullet and buy a legit copy, or you gotta deal with the problems of having a cracked version.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate

Comment

I try to be helpful with regards to this topic (after ascertaining that the person has a legal version) because WGA is about the worst thing that could have been done by Microsoft. I've been keeping up with this monster on ZD Net and the numbers are indicating that MS is incredibly happy since they estimate only a 20% false postive in WGA... of 60 million legitamate users out there. While I don't claim to be a mathametician, a quick trip through my little pea brain indicates that works out to a whopping 12 million false positives when using the MANDATORY usage of WGA. While I haven't had problems myself (yet), there are many who have.
                  My Toys

Comment

I think the thing that truely disgusts me is that they snuck it in and made it spyware basically. When I found out it contacted MS daily, I almost crapped myself. And I never realized there were so many false positives. I guess I better read up on the subject before I react so critically.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate

Comment

What is a false positive?

Comment

When you have legitimate software that MS falsely calls illegal. I knew it happened, I just never realized there was a 20% false ratio. That is ridiculous.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate

Comment

I do not have the chinese version. Its a french one and I want to update it to maltese (minority language interface pack).

I've got the feedback now, it is only possible with winXP english 32 bit SP2.
                          The wga error I got is not a real validation error but it should indicate that the language is not supported! Weird! Following M$ you have not only to buy licencs per computer, but also per language!

Comment

I'm sorry for you lesslie, I don't have any work-arounds to suggest. But the fact that MS is trying to raoe you for more money does not surprise me in the least. After all, that is one of the many reasons their ass landed in federal court and they have been labeled as a monopoly.
                            My Toys

Comment

I feel so bad for the people with WGA stuff! 1 in 5 peeps gets it?!?! I cant believe it

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
                                After all, that is one of the many reasons their ass landed in federal court and they have been labeled as a monopoly.
                                Thank God it exists and we that they, MS, can be brought to court. <o:p></o:p>

Comment

Working...
                                X