Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x64 Pro anybody?

Hey,
    Does anybody know the differences with the 64 bit Windows other than larger support for RAM and virtual memory? (I think 128 gigabytes and 16 terabytes). I'm thinking about getting it and running it on my 64 bit laptop but I'm not sure if it is actually worth a re-install. Any help would be nice.

Re: x64 Pro anybody?

As far as I have heard, there weren't too many large scale changes made to the x64 package other than the 64-bit shell. This is what allows the system to address larger amounts of memory and storage. As to whether you want to try it, that is a personal choice. As a rule, unless you're a hardcore enthusiast or are running into problems where you need to utilize a 64-bit OS due to program requirements, then just stick with what you have. If you want to experiment, then install the x64 version under a dual boot setup.

Oh, this information is taking it for granted that you actually have a 64-bit system. Otherwise it won't work.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

There is one major difference: You have to use 64-bit drivers. Unless you know you can get 64-bit drivers for everything, don't do it. Even if you do, it's not worth it for most people. With the exception of the new 64-bit-only FarCry patch (which is restricted to 64-bit specifically to drive CPU sales up, since the advantages are purely graphical), gaming gains no advantage. Difference sorts of multimedia creation can gain serious advantages, if you use a 64-bit program. So can compiling software. If you don't need any of these things much or at all, don't bother. Even if you do, you should probably dual-boot anyway.

Comment

Wow...
        That kinda sucks. I know running apps and stuff gains a big advatage if it's programmed for 64 bit cpus just because I use them at school, but I don't use anything else. So I guess it would be a waste of time on my laptop just because I don't have any 64 bit programs. I guess I will just wait until they become more mainstream....or when I have money to build a new computer. Either way. Thanks for the info.

p.s. My computer wouldn't work right with it because I checked for the drivers and I can only find about 3 that would work on a 64 bit OS. Good thing...

Comment

Working...
        X