Paging file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paging file

I've set custom paging file for my drive D[non windows installation foler]. Now what shoudl I set for my drive C[windows file init]? currently set to no paging file.

Pls explain. Thanks :)

You don't need pagefiles on multiple drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
      You don't need pagefiles on multiple drives.
      "1. If you have only one hard drive, skip to step 2. If you have more than one hard drive, you should put the main pagefile on the drive which doesn't contain your Windows installation and applications/games. This will reduce hard drive head movement on the main disk and speed up access to the pagefile."

What?? I have a partitioned drive. 2 drives. So what should i do with the drive that has windows installation folder? "no paging file"?

Comment

A partitioned drive is not a 2nd hard drive. It won't make much (probably any) diffrence which partition you put it on. Knowing more about your setup would help... How big is each partition? What file system is each one in?

Comment

A partitioned drive is not a 2nd hard drive. It won't make much (probably any) diffrence which partition you put it on. Knowing more about your setup would help... How big is each partition? What file system is each one in?
          Actually, putting the page file on a different partiton than the Windows Install often slows down performance

Comment

Haven't tested that, but it probably makes sense in this case (not if you have 2 HDDs, though). If you have a partition in FAT32 it might be faster on that.

Comment

Haven't tested that, but it probably makes sense in this case (not if you have 2 HDDs, though). If you have a partition in FAT32 it might be faster on that.
              With the PF on a different partition, the hard drive has to look on a larger area of the hard drive and loses some of its speed due to constantly having to read the paging file and going back to ya Windows partition

Comment

Thank you everyone who replied,

It's true. I set my PF on my 2nd patritioned drive and my system slow down, very much. Anyway I've set my PF to the drive my windows folder is in. I set PF initial=256[MB] and max=1500[MB]. It is stated currently allocated is 256MB and recommended[b4 this was my PF setting] 382MB. Is this right for my system performance? btw, I my drive C[windows]: 9.76GB capacity and D: 27.5GB capacity. Both on NTFS file system.

Roger :)

Comment

How much RAM you've got would be nice to know, but with a maximum of 1500 you should be okay.

Comment

How much RAM you've got would be nice to know, but with a maximum of 1500 you should be okay.
                    I have 256MB DDR. I set same as the Initial as instructed by that tweak page. How much would u recommend me to set my PF?

Comment

Also, just to clear this up, setting the page file on an entirely different physical drive enhances performance, just not on a different logical drive (partition)

Comment

Working...
                      X