NTFS HELL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS HELL

I have 2 hard drives with a total of 3 partitions, a 120 , anda 160 partitioned in to a 130 and a 30. The 30 partitons was ntfs, where all of the others were fat32, but i decided to convert all of them to ntfs. Now that I have done that I keep getting a stop error on win xp pro saying that there is an "Invalid Work Queue Item" Nothing else has changed except the fat to ntfs. Why would i be getting this errror, and is there any way to fix it?

Ususall the error takes place during high read write times on the drive like games, and copying from one drive to the other.

Thanks
    SCB

Could you post the entire error message? I can't find anything on "invalid work queue item."

Comment

Same problem I was having, couldnt find anything, but I dont have the message right now, i dont have the error right now, but I can also tell you that it took place in NDIS.SYS.

Comment

Well about fifteen minutes ago I "accidently recreated" the error, and got all of the stop info... so here it goes

Invalid_Work_Queue_Item

Stop 0x00000096(0xffa7563C,0x805464A, 0x805464a0, 0xf838E664)

NDIS.SYS - Address F838E664 base at F8389000

That Sums up the whold stop error, which occoured 2 times in the last half hour, once while transfering a file from My first partition on the 2nd hd to the second on the 2nd hd, and the other while trying to defrag my main hd.

Comment

Most relevant MS article I have found so far. I'll keep searching, but that may be helpful. Use Windows update if you haven't.

Edit:
          Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Seems irrelevant, but gives some insight to the cause of this problem.

Edit 2: Google and MS searches based on the error haven't given much (the MS searches give a lot but it's mostly on Windows NT and is a different error). Try Windows update (Internet Explorer, Tools, Windows Update). If you can't get it fixed, a reformat (and possibly reinstall) is your best bet. That will most likely fix it.

Comment

Thanx for the help so far. And i Dont speak German, but I think this could be relevant http://forum.dlink.de/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16624 I translated using google, and it basically says it is my network 120+ card from dlink, so i am going to try to unplug it, and do the same thign i did origionally to get the error, and see what happens.

***DONE***
            K I unplugged the DLINK 120+ usb wireless adapter, and tried all of the same stuff that caused the problems earlier, but nothing, so i tried it again with some xtra stuff running in the background, and nothing, now i will try with the dlink 120+ plugged in one more time, to see if I get the stop error, but I think that the 120+ was the problem!!

**Testing Done**
            K tested 3 times witout dlink installed and no problems, 3 times with it and it bsod every time, so its gotta be the dlink..

Thanks for the help
            I guess I will try to uninstall and reinstall, and see what happens..

Just how do I fix it...

Comment

Windows Update? Updated drivers? The translated page seems to indicate updating drivers of both the adapter and of your motherboard will help. Maybe someone at TT speaks German and could more accurately tell us what that page says, because some parts of the Google translation don't make sense. But just try to update your drivers, I'm not too worried about the page.

I have had pretty bad experiences with wireless stuff myself, never this bad though. I can remember calls with Linksys with instructions to uninstall critical Windows updates. :roll: :steam: : omg: :grr:

Comment

Just uninstalled and reinstalled latest drivers, but still the same prob, so I emailed d-links techs to see waht they say, but they probably wont help much..

Comment

What about Windows Update? There might have been a fix for this.
                  You might nned drivers for more than the card. The German page seemed to mention chipset drivers.

Comment

K I ran windows update, installed new chipset drivers, new usb 2 drivers, newest d-link drivers, and flashed to the newest bios, yet still nothing. Im callin dlink...

Comment

Good luck. :thumb:
                      Not much choice but to drop that hardware if they can't get it fixed.

Comment

Why would a wireless card cause such a problem and is it only revelant when both elements are thrown into the equation(Ntfs+wirless connection) :confused:

Comment

I think it is relevant because no matter what I am still using the card(connected) and it is still using my resources.

Comment

Wireless cards cause lots of problems. Windows just doesn't like them (and they don't like it much).

But your going to use it no matter what? If this can't be fixed, some hardware switching, even if it costs money, would probably be best.

Comment

Why do you think that?

Comment

Working...
                              X