Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaking Services in XP

Just read the XP Tweaking Guide.

I read another guide a few days ago that suggested resetting the services all to manual (the ones you can, that is). Then rebooting and running your normal stuff. Next step is to go back into services and see just which ones windows had to start up to support your activity, and reseting just those to automatic.

Warning, your system will be very slow duringthis process.

I will try to post a link to the guide, and am asking for your input on this method, as it seems fishy. I mean wouldn't XP do this sort of thing on its own??? Checking for active but unused services should be like part of the "new and improved" by now, don't you think???

hmmm, i wouldn't like doin that! i just set the things that i would never use to manual, read the descriptions of the services, be VERY careful when stopping some services from running!
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

just go get some more memory...forget about closing services:D

Comment

I agree with Grim on this one, as by disabling all the services you might screw up some serious things.

My recommendation would just be reading all the descriptions of the services carefully then set those you don't want to 'Manual'.

Comment

hm, sounds like u never agree with me, lol, prolly coz u don't ;)
          btw, like the new changes to ur wizard dude farting blue fire...now he's a santa wizard farting fire...

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
            hm, sounds like u never agree with me, lol, prolly coz u don't ;)
            btw, like the new changes to ur wizard dude farting blue fire...now he's a santa wizard farting fire...
            a) I did agree with you there, I think :p.

b) Thankyou. Thankyou very much :).

Comment

agree with Grim on this one

on this one, hehe, as i said, sounds like u never do on nethin else, :p *sigh*

Comment

in win2k u could run as a power user and get about 10% more performance since all the extra services weren't loaded

I used to do this but with my system - who cares - it runs that fast anyway, I'm not concerned about gettting a minor increase, by having to log off and back on again - just too lazy
                http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

ah, power user...i couldn't notice the difference:)

Comment

while we're on this subject, do you know if there is some way to log on under Admin thru the new XP logon screen without hittin CTRL + ALT + DEL to go back to the normal windows logon, just curious..

Comment

go to regedit.com and search for administrator login or somefin, theres a registry edit to make the administrator a member of the selection list

Comment

tweakui, its in the login section

Comment

Working...
                        X