No announcement yet.

Problem with intalling new sound card in XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason "Reinstall Driver" button is disabled is because I was logged in as my brother, at the time of taking that snapshot and posting it, and my brother's account does not have administrator rights. If I'm logged in as myself I can see all the buttons and everything is enabled.
    Tell me how to make a bootable CD. I do have CDR in my PC.

Comment

Ummm, everytime i've made a bootable CD, i've had a floppy disc in the drive and used that for an image.... hmm... OK, here's another way to do it (it's not the best way, but it's A way...)

Get a blank zip disk. make it a system disk (example: if the drive was drive b:, then type sys b:)

next, download the files from a windows 98 boot disk from the many sites on the net that have it (i think www.bootdisk.com is a good one.. could be wrong.. just search around for it). Copy all the files from that onto the zip disk. Also, put the files that you need to flash the BIOS on the zip disk as well.

Now, with Nero or something similar, you should have the option to make a bootable CD. It will ask you for a source for the bootable part of the image. Just tell it to use your zip drive..

then basically burn the CD, set your PC to boot from CD, then boot up. It should load everything for you, then you follow the instructions with the BIOS flash utility and you should be flying...

Note: This is a suggestion.. I'm not totally sure it would work. Hopefully someone else would be able to verify this...

Comment

in xp u can actually make a boot disk - insert a floppy right click on it in my computer and choose format and you should get an option to make it bootable

then copy your bios files to it (usually 2 files the bios and the updater)

and follow the instructions from abit
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

umm, that's half the problem.. he doesn't have a floppy drive... :( and as far as I know, you can't boot from an external Zip drive.. Internal yes, external I don't think so...

Comment

bugger I should have read this properly

no floppy drive hmmm - some manaufacturers offer an online way of updating the bios

I know u can boot from and internal zip disk - not sure about an external one thou

go steal a floppy drive from somebody and plug it in - its probably quicker that stuffing around with bootable cd's
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Thanks for your advices guys.
              sys G: doesn't work in XP.
              By the way I got a reply from Australian Hercules Tech support. They "not speaka English so good". Here's what they wrote to me:<br><br>
              "Dear Customer, <br>
              <br>
              first of all uninstall all version of drivers of this card you've got on the computer then unplug the card.
              <br>
              install latest version of bios & chipset's motherboard.
              <br>
              install the 6.33 drivers without the sound card plug.
              <br>
              restart then the computer one time and shut down it
              <br>
              plug the card in another PCI slot and restart the pc
              indicate thennduring the installation the location in your hard disk of the soundcard drivers"
              <br>
              WHATTA? Does it make any sense to anyone. I tried to follow their steps but as soon as I get to "install the 6.33 drivers without the sound card plug" it tells me that it can not install these drivers cause I haven't got a soundcard installed- fair enough. <br>
              Well, the company where I work is a Toshiba notebook reseller and we have about 5 professional on-site techs. I really didn't want to take it to work but looks like I have no other choice.
              Sorry guys and thanks for trying to help.

Comment

Working...
              X