convert to NTFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert to NTFS

OK! I know.............my bad.....but anyway I had to re-install WinXP--Pro after a system crash, but the only way it could be done with my XP copy was to install Win ME first.
    So I did, everthing worked, I installed XP as an upgrade, but it never asked me to change from Fat32 to NTFS. And I did not notice this.
    Now I have an XP OS-system running on a 2.4Ghz intel using a Fat 32, is there any way to convert only a.... C: drive partition to NTFS at this point.
    Hope you can help!
    Thanks

you can, but I wouldn't recomend it. You can do a normal full install with an 'upgrade' edition, just boot off the xp CD and insert the cd-key from winME when setup asks for it. If you not too far along with your installation procedures, I'd recomend you redo the whole thing and starting off with a clean install already formated with NTFS.

running windows from an upgrade is bad enough, but you're just asking for problems if you upgrade from winME :2cents:

if you do deside to just convert the filesystem, you will have to type this in the console:[code:1:d25ed6af66]c:\>convert c: /fs:ntfs /v[/code:1:d25ed6af66]

Comment

Thank you.........Yes I understand a full re-install would be best, but my XP-Pro copy does not boot from dos, only from an already existing Win OS such as Win98, ME etc. as an upgrade only it will not boot or setup off a cd, thus my problem, what I don't understand is how I was not given a choice to go with Fat32 or NTFS, I am almost certain that this was the upgrade path I chose on my original Win XP setup. It asked if I wanted one or all partitions Fat32 or NTFS, and I chose NTFS on my C: Drive partition only. It ran like that for almost a year. Would you recommend only one drive @ NTFS instead of partitioning, I was worried about being backward and other OS's compatibility, as I run and repair other systems through my own system. Also what's the part about installing WinXP with Win ME's serial number I didn't understand that! Sorry
      Thanks again

Comment

I assure you, you can boot off of and install winXP from an upgrade disk. I have done it many times. Boot off of the winXP CD and during the initial setup and it will ask you for a previous Windows CD-Key (this is where the winME CD comes into play). You will be asked for your winXP CD later during the setup process. There really is no need to install a previous OS to install any version of winXP.

Using FAT32 for backwards-compatibility is only necessary if you have the hdd from a win9x (win9x includes winME) system physically connected to your PC (or dual booting win9x). If you repair other computers though a network connection then NTFS will work just fine and is recommended.

As for partitions, it's really up to you. Personally I have 3; one 10 GB partition is solely for the OS and the rest is split in half (one part for software, the other for downloads). All partitions are NTFS. However if I was dual-booting with win9x (on separate hdd)I would make the 'downloads' partition FAT32.

*btw, since my Linux install can read NTFS I don't have to format with FAT32 to make it readable while in Linux (mandrake 9.1)

Comment

I'll also tell ya that it works but make sure that ya BIOS is setup to boot from a CDROM (I setup PC's to boot the floppy 1st, the CDROM 2nd and then the HDD).

Comment

floppy's - what are they?
            I don't like running 1980's technology in my pc

I'd be very surprised to find that you couldn't boot from you winxp cd, but you will have to do as wiggo's suggests and change the boot order.
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I still like floppies for runnin' 98 startup disks, HDD diagnostics and Memtest86. :D

Comment

Floppies Rule!@!@!@!@!@!

Ill never take out my Floppy Drive. Because if your FAT gets corrupted, your BIOS takes a ****, and your GF just got done using your CD ROM drive has a beer coaster. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO??? EXACTLY! Dr.DOS Here I come. ;)
                {/uselessness}

{/useful}
                NTFS Rules, and supposedly only having 1 partition increases performance, but who knows by how much.

And Im pretty sure XP Upgrade asks you to put in an old Windows CD to check to see if you qualify for the upgrade version during instalation. Of course, I could be thinking of ME. Who knows.

Comment

Working...
                X