Booting Me on XP systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darthtanion
    First off, TweakFiles may be gone, but another site has taken up where they left off. Not quite the same, but a huge amount of downloadable utilities for just about any need. The new site is www.majorgeeks.com

Now... for your dual boot scheme, you'll have to scrap XP and install ME first. That's the only way to get your dual boot to work properly. You install ME on your C:\ partition, and then XP on a separate partition or separate hard drive. XP will keep your ME settings intact, and then you'll have a choice when you power up as to which OS you would like to boot into.

Good luck. :)

Comment

I had XP installed first and then installed Windows ME. I went to www.amazon.com and searched for System Commander 7.0 and bought and downloaded this wonderful program. I installed it on XP, created additional space in my primary drive for a new OS and installed ME. System commander manages the MBR of both OS's and keeps them intact. Read all about it at http://www.v-com.com It can also resize an existing partition without loosing data, move data between partitions *like a back up* *S* Etc etc. Only thing is to go into the BOOT.INI after ME is set up and remove the line referring to Windows ME. What happens if you don't do that, then after System commander loads it's menu, and you choose, then System commander dissapears from the scene and the XP BOOT.INI asks you if you want to boot into XP or ME. even after you already made the choice before. It can be set to default (both in XP and with the System Commander) so that if you boot up unattended, it will go to the preferred OS of your choice. Hey! It works great for me!

Cheers!

Comment

Ummmmm, call me curious, but I didn't see this stated anywhere...........

Why do you want to backtrack from XP to ME??? I've been geek enough to pay MS for every iteration of their OS and while I never trashed ME the way some have, I certainly find XP to be everything I hoped ME was going to be and wasn't (it would have been an EXCELLENT Service Release, but $89!!). So far I've had ZERO complaints, and after 6 months with an OS, THAT'S certainly a first.

For example, Everyone I know that has ME and used System Restore to clear up problems, eventually had it fail to work (and once it fails, it will never work again until you reformat). So far I've yet to have a failure with XP.

Comment

Comment

And to the dude who said why bother, well he originally stated that it was faster for games and performance, which I have also found to be the case, although i think the new det drivers, the 28.32's are really slow, I'll install some 27's and see if its better, what does win xp come with as standard?/the 23.11???

Comment

I installed XP Pro on my main partition first. Then wanted compatability and speed with certain games so installed 98SE on another partition. After that to repair from XP disc. That now gives me a choice of either OS in bootup. XP set it up that way automatically.

Comment

Well, let's see guys.. I use System Commander www.v-com.com to set up my hard drive partions. I've moved partitions, data, resized them, copied them. created new partitions from some free space on one partition, created linux extension partitions, and so on and so on. I've even used the "Back step" wizard to undo my manual partitioning, becuase it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I have 4 Operating systems on my Primary partition, I have extended partitions of D, E, F, in Fat32 format, residing along with 2 Linxue Ext2 swap partitions. The linux partitions don't show up in my computer in XP or ME. Oh, and I can alse manually hide and unhide any or all of my partitons.. also designate manually what partition I want active..

So.... if you have XP and want to install ME.. No problemo, and it's pretty simple with the little aforementioned program. If you have the hard drives to do it, you can litteraly boot any one of over 100 + operating systmes from your computer. Some will allow booting from an extended partition as well. Oh, and System commander, keeps control of the MBR, and when you click on the Icon of the OS of your choice, the MBR of that OS, and the partition it resides on goes active, and System Commander fades into the nothingness.. no memory resident features. only see if whan you want to.

Cheers!

Comment

If I don't start posting shorter messages, I'll never be a master tweaker in here.. always a newbie!! LOL

Comment

Bah, don't worry too much about your post count... ppl like darth don't have much of a post count, but do provide quality info
                    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Working...
                    X