Connecting Frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Frames

ok, if someone were to make a webpage in lets say notepad. how are they gonna make the frames? I've studied and studied and studied it. I don't really see where the pages connect to each other. how could you servive without say frontpage or whatever you use.

Best way: go to a current page with frames, study it and see how it works.

With frames, you basically need one overall page, which then has the frames sizes and sources detailed in that. ie: You have two frames (left.html and right.html). You then need another page (index.html), in which you lay out the frames, where they are and how big they are.

But like I said, just go to another site with frames, view the source and see how it works.

Comment

Yea, view source is a html how-to.

Comment

If you go to http://www.iw.net/~sunshine/bettie.html you'll find a very basic frame page I put up.
        The basics are not there to see - The frameset is used to set the dimensions of the frame pixels can also be used, I used %'s so it would scale well with different screen resolutions.

<FRAMESET COLS="16%,84%">
        <FRAME NAME="A" FRAME SRC="pagenav.html">
        <FRAME NAME="B" FRAME SRC="page.html">
        </FRAMESET>

Each frame is given a name and a frame source.
        The frame source indicates a seperate HTML page that will be displayed within the frame.

The frame name is used when linking to tell the browser what it is linking to and which part of the frame the linked page will appear in. as seen below

<A HREF="page.html" TARGET="B"><A>

Kinda' difficult to grasp till you get it all to work 1 time, then it becomes pretty straightforward.

Good on you for using notepad:thumb:

EDIT; so in actuality the page you are viewing is actually 3 seperate HTML documents. 1) the frame source - bettie.html
        2) the navigation portion of the frame page - pagenav.html
        3) the page displayed as the content of the frame - page.html

only 1 source is neccesary for a simple page such as this. Only 1 navigational page was needed. The contents of frame B required numerous HTML documents I think it totaled about 115 seperate pages if I recall correctly:?:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
          Yea, view source is a html how-to.
          OK zeradul, I'll grant you that.
          Now could you please explain to me how to view the source for the frameset commands on the page I linked above. By right clicking on the frame all I can get the source for is either Frame A or Frame B - niether of which contain the source code which creates the actual frame.

I believe ReSpAwN DeMoN's question was a very valid one indeed.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

115 documents? ok well basically the least is I know how to make a basic frame page that like that one.......but one question still remains. If you link to bettie.html it'll call for pagenav and page so therfore making yourself a frames page. But how would you do it more advanced? Like fram on top of frame? I guess it'll take a little longer but the funny thing is.......if only I could get my hands on that "page made with notepad" I saw it once in this forum. Was it you?

Comment

http://www.iw.net/~sunshine/ has the graphic you're looking for.

Yes, it is possible to create a whole new frame by making your target a new framesource page or you could open it in a new window.

remember, when using frames -- some browsers do a much better job of rendering them than others. So all the work you do on a "perfect" frame will unfortunately be lost on some surfers.

I think once you get a handle on the basics of HTML by using notepad, you will get a lot more out of "pagemaker" type programs. Or you could even end up like some of us and find out that notepad is plenty in itself. Depends what kind of site your making -- I doubt notepad would even come close to handling the rigors of the TT site.

Lot's of good pages out there that explain the whole frame thing better than I can. I reccomend http://www.htmlgoodies.com/ I learned a lot from that one back when Dr. Joe was still running it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                Now could you please explain to me how to view the source for the frameset commands on the page I linked above. [/B]
                Go to the File menu, Save As.... :D Next question?

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy

Go to the File menu, Save As.... :D Next question?
                  Excellent answer - too bad the saving wasn't as good, it really screwed the meta tags??

ACTUAL SOURCE;

<META NAME="generator" CONTENT="notepad">
                  <META NAME="author" CONTENT="Charles D. Warren">
                  <META NAME="copyright" Content="Copyright 2001, me">

SOURCE AS SAVED;

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2712.300" name=GENERATOR>
                  <META content="Charles D. Warren" name=author>
                  <META content="Copyright 2001, me" name=copyright>

Seems Microsoft is promoting FrontPage over Notepad too:laugh:

Comment

ahh well, he still gets the general idea of frames... :)

Comment

Yes, you have a good point Mr. C. and I guess I didn't realize that is what he was asking, but yea that is what he was asking. What I do at that point is hope that the site's server allows browsing with an FTP, and i get the frame setup file that way.

Either that, or look for a tutorial with google. ;)

Comment

Well it seems my ISP is once again denying me access to my website

This is becoming a bit redundant:thumbs do

I hope this isn't going to become a monthly phone call - it cuts into my internet time:eek:

Comment

Creating your own webpage in notepad can be over-whelming, but it gives you great satisfaction when you see the end product.

I'd have to agree with Mr C on the frames in here, its a pretty good stepping stone tutorial and helped me alot.

I went through the whole thing step-by-step.

Here's another one I didn't find too bad either. I liked the idea of getting a few different explainations b4 I did anything. frame authoring

Good luck :thumb:

Comment

Excellent! Good for you WS, I never realized you had a site before. (must have been your previous AV distracted me from the little blue button:laugh: )

I agree, there are a lot of help-pages out there for web-authors. But it took me a lot of looking before I found 1 that I actually understood. Dr Joe just put the information in a way my pea-brain could actually comprehend -- after weeks of struggling, I read his tutorials and BANG! 20 minutes later I had created my first real page.
                            I like his stuff a lot, actually purchased 2 of his books just to have it all handy for quick reference.

1 nice thing though, after you have made the first page a lot of the work becomes cut-n-paste for the remaining pages if you keep your layout the same:thumb:

Comment

I must admit, I struggled with it to start off with. But, after accomplishing it, it was all the more satisfying to know I did it without too much help at all.:D

Big bro did give me some useful help and tips.

Comment

Working...
                              X