Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Linux?

Hey everyone,
    Just wondering what version of Linux you would recommend?

I havn't used Linux yet, but I'm watching for Lindows to come out, lindows.com

Comment

For casual use, office work & games etc...basically what you would use windows for, id go with Mandrake or RedHat.

If you wanna get serious with development and (advanced) networking etc, then try Slakware.

Personally- I like Mandrake. So simple to use.

Comment

There's a new one out now called Redmond Linux which is said to be almost as easy as Windows to setup and run. :smokin:
        <center></center>

Comment

I checked out that Redmond Linux and does anyone else think that it looks too much like windoze, I mean it is called Redmond Linux as in Redmond, WA home of microsoft

Other than that it looks stable, but I think i will stick with mandrake 8.1

Comment

I read a review on it a couple of weeks ago and it was recommended for 1st timers as it was reportedly as easy as Windows to setup. :smokin:
            <center></center>

Comment

Get slack, no point in getting one of the "easy" distro's and forming bad habbits :)
              p-two.net

Comment

apparently slackware is extremely difficult to use to start with :(
                the slackware installation is in console too..

redhat is easy to use, but after you get used to it, go to somehting a bit better :)

Comment

hmmm... ark4ne...
                  SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                  Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Originally posted by SileNceR
                    [B]hmmm... ark4ne...
                    Indeed....the moose is a dead giveaway....
                    p-two.net

Comment

I'd recommend that you start with Mandrake and once you get good enough experience, get Debian or Slackware! Mind ya, I still like Mandrake's appearance! :)

Comment

Howdy Webgraph:wave:

Your loyalty to the TT community is truly amazing indeed!!!!:D
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                          Howdy Webgraph:wave:

Your loyalty to the TT community is truly amazing indeed!!!!:D

As long as he's well behaved I don't see any problems ;)
                          What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus

*nods in agreement*
                            SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                            Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
                              [B]

I think this can be applied to any and all forums.
                              (I'm really only posting this so I can see my new title...w00t)
                              p-two.net

Comment

Working...
                              X