Qualified Host name?? DNS server???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man oh Man!
    This Knoquerer is a slow rendering browser - Mozilla is far superior on my Linux distro. After I got Shockwave support installed on it, it has been quite nice to use actually - very functional.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Well, I've got the DNS thing worked out concerning the web beetle and connecting via our little home LAN. I'm in Galeon tonight! *S* Yee Haa.. many choice.. sometimes too many. *G*

One thing though.. I've gotten my internal PCI U.S. Robitics hardware modem to finally work. had to do some setserial and linking it to /dev/modem, but I got it to dial, exchange password/username, and connect to my ISP. Now the problem is that while it does connect, it don't go anywhere? Ideas on that workaround??

Cheers!

Like KMail!

Comment

Check your nameservers IP's in /etc/resolv.conf
        p-two.net

Comment

I've tried Konqueror, and I think I still preferr Galeon. There's a new version of Galeon out there but after I downloaded the RPM file I tried to install it and missing or need " Mozilla <>= S 1.0rcl needed by galeon -1.2.1-1 " Is it on my Mandrake 8.2 download (3 cd's) Distro?? Also Gnome where I was at really looks funny ...like a picture of a monkey that's anoxexic or something.

I've tried Opera and still thinking about that one. Came here and there were no pictures, mostly just text. Guess not all that bad. *S*

Cheers!

Comment

My distro doesn't include Galeon.

Yesterday I upgraded to Netscape 6.22. Even though the full install includes the JRE2 I am unable to get into a chatroom which I like to go to occasionally?
            When I tried to use Mozilla, it prompts me to DL the JRE2 which I did, but the install doesn't work properly.

I have much left to learn, I am tired of finding myself back in Windows to do some of the tasks which I have always considered to be pretty basic.

Surely there has to be a way to link the JRE2 to the Mozilla?
            Ah well, I'll keep plugging away at it:D
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

You need to install the jre as root, start moz or ns as root and go to the netscape download center to get it.
              p-two.net

Comment

OK, thanks for the tip Bern. (LOL it sounds so obvious after hearing it from you -- oh dopey me:D )
                I don't know if I'll get to it today or not, but I'll give it a whirl.
                Best I've gotten off that server is 2800 bps so far so it'll take a while.

Wish there was a way to tie the JRE2 in Netscape to the Mozilla browser. Oh well, I'd probably not understand it if you whispered it in my ear:laugh:

Comment

Once you've got the jre installed in netscrape just copy the contents of the plugins directory to mozilla's pluging directory and do "ldconfig".
                  p-two.net

Comment

Well????????????

OK, Sun's JRE2 has been installed in both Mozilla and Netscape.
                    Yet somehow I am incapable of getting the chat windows to display? The Java loads, and the page says I am entering - but never does the chat console actually open??

This is becoming less than amusing at a rapid rate!
                    Is there a browser for Linux available that is actually compatible with common functions found on the internet today?
                    I freely admit, I am no whiz at Linux, but I am beginning to wonder if there is any value to learning it further.
                    I truly love some of the functions and tools I have available to me in this OS. I am even willing to sacrifice the use of my better audio device in order to use it.
                    But this open source has got to be willing to meet me at least half-way?!?!

I am more than a bit disgusted at this point.
                    There is no reason in my opinion that I should have to turn to Windows to have access to the internet.

As I understand it, the open source community is quite familiar with the internet, so what software do they use to utilize this technical marvel?

</rant>

:cry:

Comment

Post the url to the chat and I'll have a look at it.
                      p-two.net

Comment

That would be much appreciated!
                        But it would probably be a big hassle for you.

Anyway, it's the TechTV chat. Rather round-about way of getting there as they have their chat hosted by Compuserve.

Have to start at http://www.techtv.com/interact/chat

Then click the link "TechTV chat" at the top of the body of the page.

That opens a new window where you login (there's the part where it would be a hassle for you - establishing an ID for 1 use)
                        Then you get to the WUGNET Forum page, ( http://forums.compuserve.com/vlforum...ort&CHATROOM=3 ) and the Java loads from there.

On my Windows box at that point I begin to chat - with Linux, nothing?
                        I've tried upgrading both Mozilla and Netscape and still nothing?
                        AARGH!

Comment

It works in konqueror, I'll check it out in netscape and mozilla tomorrow.
                          p-two.net

Comment

Knoquerer just gives me a "javascript alert" saying that I have to enable javascript then refresh the page.

I have enabled java & javascript globally. As well as adding an accept for the specific domain.

Additionally I have selected that Knoquerer should load any applet internally.

After repeated attempts, I still do not get the applet to load.

It appears I am too stupid to get a simple chat to function in anything but Windows.

This has become far beyond fuking ridiculous!
                            I am on the verge of throwing something here.:no:

Comment

Ok. So you've only got the netsrcape java plugin installed? Why dont you try downloading the sun v1.3.1 jsdk and installing that, then point konq's java to it following the instructions on this page.
                              p-two.net

Comment

I can feel for ya Mr. C !! I have had a bit of a struggle myself getting things working in the best of time..mostly is has been the "worst of time" LOL Today, I went to log out of KDE and Login to Gnome. When I loged out and it went to the login part, my mouse froze and ceased to be anthing more useful than to chew on in frustration.. *G* Even if I 'tabed' and went into Gnome the mouse didn't work.. Thank God for this little "windows" key on my keyboard. At least I was able to click it and logout and shut down. Then... I find out when that happens if I hit "ctrl" "alt" "backspace" it resets itself to reconfigureing or something like that.. anyway the mose is working , but the worst part is not knowing exactly what I did to cause that snafu.. by the way, that's a WW II saying "Situation Normal All Fu***d Up" LOL

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X