Remote Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop

I've been reading up about how to use the Remote desktop, but I confused at this one point. How do I access the computer I want to take control of if it's on a lan? What's the ip address? I know what the ip address is that my isp gave my router and I know what the ip address my router gave the computer, but how do I tell the client computer to access the host computer? Do I jsut enter the isp's ip address?

Re: Remote Desktop

If you're not familiar with the difference between a LAN IP and a WAN IP, you probably shouldn't be playing with Remote Desktop.

Do answer the question, though, just open up Command Prompt on the host computer and type ipconfig to find out its IP address.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th View Post
      If you're not familiar with the difference between a LAN IP and a WAN IP, you probably shouldn't be playing with Remote Desktop.
      Most certainly.
      Originally posted by Yawgm0th
      Do answer the question, though, just open up Command Prompt on the host computer and type ipconfig to find out its IP address.
      Actually you'll want to do that on the PC you want to access (not the one you're using).

Comment

lol no no, ok let me rephrase the question.

I'm on the client side, trying to access the host, what ip do I enter for the host that is behind the firewall? My LAN ip is 192.168.0.1 and my WAN ip is w.e the ISP gave me.

Comment

I doubt that your LAN ip 192.168.0.1 - that's usually the ip of your router, unless your using ICS

try using the machine name - that will work inside your LAN
          http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

ok ok, I feel like no one here knows how to do this. It's like you guys are beating around the bush, and instead of answering the question, you are picking around my mistakes. I assumed that hte lan ip is the local area network's ip, the one the router gives you, which is 192.168.0.1. I need to access the host outside the LAN, inside the LAN is easy.

Comment

ok what you need to do is open a port (the remote desktop one) on your firewall and tell it to redirect all access on that port to your PC (same sort of thing when you try and host your own web server).
              now when you put the external IP address in of your router, it will redirect remote desktop to that particular PC.

If you need to remote control more than one PC - look at ultraVNC and their port redirect util

Note By doing this you are allowing anybody to have a crack at remote controlling your desktop - so make sure you have a good password.

btw - I've doing this for years

Comment

this looks perfect. The util sounds even better. 2 questions:

you said to open the port on my firewall... did you meant in my router? or did you actually meant the host's firewall? or everything actually... router and firewall...

with the util UltraVNC, will have to download a client software to use it on the remote computer or will windows xp's client software be fine?

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
                  Actually you'll want to do that on the PC you want to access (not the one you're using).
                  The host would be the one you're accessing.

You weren't entirely clear as to the network situation. Are you saying you want to remotely control a computer over the Internet that is behind a NAT firewall? If so, Kheldar has described precisely what you need to do. I was under the impression that the computer was on the same LAN as you.
                  Last edited by Yawgm0th; 01-29-2007, 12:16 AM.

Comment

yea, i just reread my first post, and it was incorectly phrased. ok I jsut found out a solution to all my problems and I dont need to download, install, and configure anything. I can jsut send out an invite to myself to my hotmail account using remote assistance. heres the problem. I need to be on the host computer to accept. IS there a way I can set my computer to auto accpet the remote assistance conenction?

Comment

nvm, i googled it and i found the answer. now i can send out invites to ppl who i want to hack my computer eheh thx ppl

Comment

Yeah, i was going to say... There is a file your computer generates for you that you can email or send to someone. They simply open the file on their computer and it connects the computers with YOUR permission. Then another dialog will come up if that remote person tries to access your desktop. It's very nice at helping my girlfriend with problems when i am away.

It's all in MS's very helpful Help and Support center.

Comment

Originally posted by jd53887 View Post
                          yea, i just reread my first post, and it was incorectly phrased. ok I jsut found out a solution to all my problems and I dont need to download, install, and configure anything. I can jsut send out an invite to myself to my hotmail account using remote assistance. heres the problem. I need to be on the host computer to accept. IS there a way I can set my computer to auto accpet the remote assistance conenction?
                          no

do it the way I told you

yes you have to open the port on your firewall - router.

You may also find if your trying to remote control from work - school that they have blocked remote control via their firewall as well, usually not thou.

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldar View Post
                            no

do it the way I told you

yes you have to open the port on your firewall - router.

You may also find if your trying to remote control from work - school that they have blocked remote control via their firewall as well, usually not thou.
                            y is your way better? my way, I set my computer to auto accept the incoming invite, using hte program already installed on every windows xp computer system. Also, no port forwarding too. :)

Comment

jd53887, That's the way i said.

Some people are concerned with security.

Comment

Working...
                              X