How do I get rid of the windows logon window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of the windows logon window

I have windows 98se and I was wondering how do I get rid of the logon onto windows box, (user name, and password). It just started for some reason. I've looked all over the place for the answer. I've looked through Accel's MaxSpeed site, and regedit site without luck. If anyone has anything to say about this please get back to me. Thanks.

right click on network neighbour hood
    properties

change the logon to windows not network

and there u go
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Thanks for the imput, but it was set on windows logon, and not network. Either way it asks for a password and username.

Comment

Play around with the different options anyway, it will also come up if you DO have a password (you don't always need to enter one) and could also come up if you are part of some network.

Comment

No matter what I have done I still get the logon window. I can't get rid of it.

Comment

should be able to do a Find for *.pwl
            Rename any logon password to .old (wily.pwl becomes wily.old)

In the network control panel make sure that the primary network logon is set to Windows Logon.

Reboot - when prompted for a password just click OK.

That should do it.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

i just installed a fresh copy of win98 on my system, its part of a network/cable net connect, and i just tried all that, its still their
              i found out that if i pull out the network cable, it doesnt come up, so does that mean it'll come up with that anoying thing each time i want to login to the network, even tho i dont need it???

Comment

* tries to remember what Windows 98 is like *

From what I can (vaguely) remember, it's under Users in the Control Panel. Open it and deselect the option "Users must enter a User Name and Password to use this Computer" (or something like that) :?:

Reboot and (hopefully) it should be fine :thumb:
                What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Thanks bubba. I'll try it.

Comment

Yea, you either have to get rid of all network protocols, or just find a tool that will log on for you.

Tweak UI has an option that will log you on immediatly every time you boot your computer. It is the best solution.

Comment

hey will do exactly what i say.

Go to Find and type .pwl. Delete all the files you see. Reboot, and them just click ok. Reboot again. It shouldnt be there.

Comment

I'm with Zeradul

use the Tweak UI solution to log you in automatically
                        I have done for years
                        That way you get the best of both worlds!

Cheers,
                        Splash

:afro:
                        OK so my signature is lame - I can live with it!

Comment

Working...
                        X