Question with McAfee Privacy Service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question with McAfee Privacy Service.

Everything works fine until I try to get on Ebay. Is there a way to allow ebay's banners and such to load normally? If I turn off Privacy service, it loads fine.

BTW dont tell me I should had got Norton, I had Norton and it let a virus in that f-ed my computer.

Ill be the first to recommend AVG AntiVirus from www.avg.com

As its 100% free and is just as good as Mcafee or Norton, and is literally issue free

Comment

Originally posted by RP Racing
      BTW dont tell me I should had got Norton, I had Norton and it let a virus in that f-ed my computer.
      no AV or other security software can be 100% perfect all the time. you stand just as much of a chance a getting a virus with Norton as you do with McAfee, AVG, or a host of others. The best AV is your brain. Become knowledgeable about virus and keep yourself up-to-date instread of putting all your faith in a AV app.

:2cents:

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
        no AV or other security software can be 100% perfect all the time. you stand just as much of a chance a getting a virus with Norton as you do with McAfee, AVG, or a host of others. The best AV is your brain. Become knowledgeable about virus and keep yourself up-to-date instread of putting all your faith in a AV app.

:2cents:
        Well if I didnt keep the virus up to date, then it would had been my problem. I kept it up and still got nailed with a virus that was out for quite a while. Wasnt a brand new one they didnt know about.

Comment

Well a Firewall and keeping ya OS up to date is also needed in protecting yaself.

Comment

do you have an option of adding a site to safe list. i mean allowing stuff from a particular domain or IP. it should be there somewhere but as i don't use McAfee, i can't tell you the exact location. fiddle around a bit and it should be there.
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Well apparently the Privacy Service was the cause in dogging the CPU resources. Apparently mcafee is working on the problem with this and the ebay thing. Why they didnt wait until it was totally ready before tehy released it I havent the clue.

Comment

Yep,
                I'm a die hard McAfee user and love the product but they have had a lot of problems with the security/privacy product .

I just keep version 7 up and running and things are fine.

I also check their forums frequently, perhaps you can find the answer to your problem there. It's got lots to enterprise and tech support folks that are very active.

McAfee Support

I have cleaned a ton of systems since the latest wave of virus's have come out. Beginning with blaster, it's kept me pretty busy. Funny though... all the folks have had Norton and the product was up to date.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by G Smith

I have cleaned a ton of systems since the latest wave of virus's have come out. Beginning with blaster, it's kept me pretty busy. Funny though... all the folks have had Norton and the product was up to date.

Good Luck!!!
                  One reason I quit using Norton. The Sircam virus got through it about 2 months after it came out. I did 3 updates to the antivirus files in those 2 months and still got it.

Theres some "nice" discussions on Mcafee forums right now over the displeasure of quite a few that are mad over this issue with ISS6.0

Comment

Yep,

I've read those threads and decided I would not update to the latest version. I'm happy having the control that Version 7 gives me with the high level of protection.

Version 8 takes some of that control away and automates several things. It also introduced some bugs I guess.

Check out the Security and Virus Alert forum, those guys really help you keep on top of the most recent virus information.

Comment

I just hope Mcafee has the decency to mail a cd with the working version out to everyone who owns a registered copy of ISS6.0. I hate trying to download programs with dial-up.

Comment

Everything works fine until I try to get on Ebay. Is there a way to allow ebay's banners and such to load normally? If I turn off Privacy service, it loads fine.
                        I'm sorry but Norton and McAfee lost me a long time ago (McAfee 1st) as neither preformed to my expections. AVG, POW!, ZA, Ad-aware (all free) and regular os updates have served me much better (just because they're all free doesn't mean that they're nasty). : peace2:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                          I'm sorry but Norton and McAfee lost me a long time ago (McAfee 1st) as neither preformed to my expections. AVG, POW!, ZA, Ad-aware (all free) and regular os updates have served me much better (just because they're all free doesn't mean that they're nasty). : peace2:
                          I'm on dial-up and dont like watching my screen for 4 hrs to download them. It took 2.5hrs to just download Netscape

Comment

I'm on dial-up and dont like watching my screen for 4 hrs to download them. It took 2.5hrs to just download Netscape
                            Then don't watch. Just let it go overnight.

Comment

McAfee tends to run into problems because they seem to be more aggresive in update releases. Sometimes that means they introduce a bug in their haste to solve a vulnerability.

Norton on the otherhand tends to be more cautious in releasing dat's and updates but I'm finding average end users that are infected "just" before an outbreak fully takes off even though the product is current.

Never tried AVG but if Wiggo and Beefy like it.. then that's a :thumb: for me!!!

I just cleaned up a little K6 400 Win98SE system this past week. The thing was soooooooooooo messed up with spyware and virus's that I didn't want to hook it into my network for internet, and it's modem was dead. It's then I remembered my old external USR 56k modem. Hooked that puppy up, connected to Windows update and let it run all night. In the morning we were good to go!!!

ps: Beefy, I agree...keeping the OS updated is a huge part of keeping things secure and safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X