Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer 6 SP1, Microsoft's final standalone browse

I was just noticing the news blip on the homepage:

During a recent Microsoft TechNet Q & A chat, Internet Explorer Program Manager Brian Countryman revealed that IE6 SP1 will be the last standalone browser offering from the company by saying.

"As part of the OS, IE will continue to evolve, but there will be no future standalone installations. IE6 SP1 is the final standalone installation. Legacy OSes have reached their zenith with the addition of IE 6 SP1. Further improvements to IE will require enhancements to the underlying OS".

So commencing with the next version of Windows (codename Longhorn) due in 2005, the browser will become an integral part of the operating system. Thanks to Neowin for bringing this story to my attention.

am I missing something? when has a windows OS not had IE integrated into it? and they are calling it a standalone browser? ya right, has anyone here completely removed IE from a windows install? give me the option of installing it or not, then I'll almost believe it's a stand-alone browser...

also, what is up with this line: Further improvements to IE will require enhancements to the underlying OS
    is that what they are using for an excuse to further embed IE into windows?

:blah: I could go on with this rant, but I just want to blow off some steam...ignore my senseless ravings

Next time, tell me to ignore it Before reading it please :P

Comment

I've always liked Internet Explorer and IE6 SP1 has been burned to disk long ago.

Imagine the time I'll save by not pursuing the next version.
      Besides, there are several decent browsers out now, so it's all good.

My problem lies in the use of the term "OS".
      Seems to me that Microsoft ® stopped producing those already.
      What they produce now would be more appropriately termed "CUSS".

Computer User System Suite

We've gone way beyond the requirements of an operating system, and it's time to call it what it is for a refreshing change.
      Current and planned releases from MS are a few steps beyond the definition of an OS and it is improper to judge them against such a critter.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

whats more interesting is that MS had a big lawsuit where they had to remove IE from their latests OS's.

Now the're going back to the integrated OS/IE idea.

Mind you I prefer IE to any other browser anyway
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Did anyone truly believe that the anti-trust suit was actually to benefit the consumer?

That's rich!!!!
          :rofl:

It was just some folks looking for a quick $ - hopefully in copiuos quantity.

Hope they got it, because the consumer got diddly-squat out of all that hubbub:confused:
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
          X