Pretend it's your birthday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JediAgent
    Yeah, i'd go with Win XP Pro (Pro = no activation)
    uhh... jedi, your wrong there, Corporate = no activation
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Home = Phone Activation and Registration code
      Pro = Just that 25 number/letter code

There's a corporate?
      I think we were talking about the same thing, just different names.

I did a fresh install, but i run three different profiles with women who dont know how to maintain a PC, and i've done several install and ininstalls of progs, and d/l'ed a bunch of other stuff. Right now im running on a new install i did 3 hrs ago. Ill post again after having used it with only one profile and knowing exactly what registry key to screw with and not installing a whole lotta progs. I'll just blame the performance loss of the last PC on computer demons/PC gremlins...

Comment

It occurs to me that a lot of folks who create graphics (as in - those who do it for a living) use Macs:?:

I think XP does have a corporate version that requires purchase of corporate licensing:?:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Macs are good if you are serious abouting dedicating the machine to graphics.. PC's are almost as good in that respect, but they are better in the long run due to everything else you can use em for...

Jedi, did you get a copy of XP from someone's original XP cd, or did you get the copy that came from the net somewhere like most other people? From what I'd heard, Pro still needs activation, but the 'corporate' version from the net doesn't need any.

Comment

I've used MACs off and on, there's no where near enough boost in performance for me to justify a doubling of the price. If I had the money to own BOTH a PC and a MAC then I'd do so, but I just can't justify sole MAC ownership. Besides, most corporate design firms use big PC workstations running 'exotic' OSes :) I'll investigate the XP issue further, I just don't like the idea of 'activating' it...

Comment

I got mine off the net. And frankly - I dont care what it's called. Home sucks, and i always thought there was a pro that only needed the 25 letter/number code. If theres a corp, it must not need anything, right? My Start Menu says Professional. You guys are wrong because Microsoft doesn't lie!
              (Please sense the sarcasm)

Comment

They are the 6 important words there - 'I got mine off the net'.. Hence you got the Corporate version. It's not marked in any way, it simply doesn't have the need for activation. It's apparently what all the mass producing companies (Dell, Compaq, etc) were going to use on their machines to make life easier.

If you had of got Pro, then you'd still have to activate.. I think.. :)

Comment

The whole basis of my arhuement came from my start menu which says "Windows XP Professional" and since we all know that microsoft is completely honest is their product marketing, i just figured.... ...thanks for enlightening me.

Comment

i've got winxp pro corp, and my one says "Windows XP Professional" in the start bar as well...
                    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Well, in my case, Microsoft has fooled yet another sheep.
                      Unregistered, WHAD'YA GET?

Comment

Working...
                      X